Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Funky Transportation Swap (Quilt for Boys) - Sign-ups close August 31

I am planning on making some test blocks soon, but here are some more inspirational ideas. Remember you can do any type of block. Paper pieced, applique, embroidery. You can find some fun transportation fabric and make traditional-esque blocks with them. There is a way to make this swap work for any skill level!!

You could even make blocks with words instead of pictures, choo-choo, vroom, Go!, Take off etc..... Or how about some non-vehicle ideas? Like a stop sign, stop light, RR Crossing sign, walk symbol, RR tracks, speed limit etc .... Those would be super cute too!!

If you are unsure, just ask here or shoot me a PM, I would be happy to help with ideas. This is a great swap for any wonderful little boy (or girl!!) in your life!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Blog Entries
    Oh, I love quilts for little boys, I just finished an eye spy quilt for a great nephew. I have an idea for some blocks, I want in!

I am sending pm to you Rachel
    Give a smile away today, someone you meet might need one!

Blog Entries
    Great! Boys are the harder of the two... grandsons/granddaughters to think of quilts so I think this is a great theme. Thinking, thinking...

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Great! Boys are the harder of the two... grandsons/granddaughters to think of quilts so I think this is a great theme. Thinking, thinking...
    That's why I chose a more boyish theme, I only have a son and most of the quilts I make from swaps are a little too much on the adult/girly side for him (which is fine because it means I get to actually keep a quilt I make), but I wanted something he could enjoy this time!!

Rachel

Maybe a silly question, but if doing paper piecing, should the paper be removed or left on when we ship? Seems like I have read paper should be left on until blocks are sewn together but others say remove first. I know it is pain to remove the paper which I wouldn't mind doing, but just wondering what most people would prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but if doing paper piecing, should the paper be removed or left on when we ship? Seems like I have read paper should be left on until blocks are sewn together but others say remove first. I know it is pain to remove the paper which I wouldn't mind doing, but just wondering what most people would prefer.
    I have heard people prefer both ways, some like it on because pulling it off can distort the block and others feel like they have a preferred method to prevent this. Others prefer it off so they don't have to deal with it. You may want to check out the paper piecing method I linked in the initial post, I like this method as it uses freezer paper so you don't have to sew through paper at all so there is no distortion and peeling off the paper is super easy!! You may find you like this method even better than regular paper piecing. If you still go with regular paper, there is no preference for this swap, you can leave the paper on or take it off.

Rachel

Blog Entries
    Hi Rachel,
    My eyes must be playing tricks on me, I can't seem to see your link to pp with freezer paper. I know I saw it before. Could you help an old quilter out here? Thanks.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Hi Rachel,
    My eyes must be playing tricks on me, I can't seem to see your link to pp with freezer paper. I know I saw it before. Could you help an old quilter out here? Thanks.
    Of course!! Here you go:

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

Cheers!
    Rachel

Will machine embroidered blocks count?

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    Will machine embroidered blocks count?
    Yes those would be fine!!

Rachel

Blog Entries
    Ccorazone I love your cat in your Avi. What is his/her name? I love tuxedo cats!

Blog Entries
    i love words in my quilts, i added words in my funky series, (cat, cat and dog, farm, chicken and bug quilts)

Quote Originally Posted by marytoddliz View Post
    Ccorazone I love your cat in your Avi. What is his/her name? I love tuxedo cats!
    His name is OREO after the cookie. He is dead now. He died from Feline HIV.

Peter Marshall

Add my name to the list for at least two set,,,,more if I have time.

Peter Marshall

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry! I lost a cat to leukemia a while back, it is so hard to lose the fur babies!

Now I just had to stop in and check things out........wish I had the time to do the swap..........

I do have a question........Is anybody going to do a Broom.............

Quote Originally Posted by catpawski View Post
    Now I just had to stop in and check things out........wish I had the time to do the swap..........

I do have a question........Is anybody going to do a Broom.............
    Now that would be funny!! Maybe you'll find time later on, this swap has a late due date!!

Rachel

How many people are signed up and committed? Also how many blocks are they making?

So far we have 10 people signed up and, assuming that the TBD people make at least one set, we have a minimum of 20 sets coming my way. Hopefully we can get more people signed up though, still a bit till sign-ups close. Be sure to post pics as you are sewing to entice others to join us!!

If you want to keep track of sign-ups, you can take a peek here whenever you want:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/groups/...p-g21-d89.html

Cheers!
    Rachel

transportation swap

Here are some photos of the block I made for this swap
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter Marshall

Blog Entries
    C, they are all wonderful. My DGS would especially love the tractor, the race car... the fire engine, well, I guess he would love them ALL!

Linda

Terrific blocks!!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis View Post
    Remember you don't have to make these blocks fancy!! There are tons of great transportation fabrics out there, you can make wonky log cabin blocks, nine patches, or other regular style blocks with some great fabrics. Or the block above that has the spaceship over the city, that's super simple without having to paper piece a block, you could do something similar to make a car driving on a road or a tractor on a farm. Be creative!! Paper piecing isn't the only option by any means!!

Cheers!
    Rachel
    let me see if I understand this. I can use transportation material such as john deere tractors and just make a regular type quilt square.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

I was thinking of a dragon.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Quote Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
    let me see if I understand this. I can use transportation material such as john deere tractors and just make a regular type quilt square.
    Yes that would work too!! It's good to have a variety of blocks in the quits as you don't want them to be too busy!! My rule of thumb is I will only make blocks I would be happy to see coming back to me. If you love it, so will we!!

Quote Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
    I was thinking of a dragon.
    That's a really cute idea too!!

Rachel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast