Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
I-Spy Gender Neutral 6" Square Swap -- Sign-up is Closed!!!  WE ARE FULL!!! >

I-Spy Gender Neutral 6" Square Swap -- Sign-up is Closed!!! WE ARE FULL!!!

I-Spy Gender Neutral 6" Square Swap -- Sign-up is Closed!!! WE ARE FULL!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 PM

I wish I was there to help out. I think it would be lots of fun and exciting to see all the different fabrics. I am looking forward to figuring out how to place all the novelty squares and see what a mix of colors there will be. I bet you do it when your helper is napping. Have fun!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by L8quilter
I wish I was there to help out. I think it would be lots of fun and exciting to see all the different fabrics. I am looking forward to figuring out how to place all the novelty squares and see what a mix of colors there will be. I bet you do it when your helper is napping. Have fun!
I host the 10.5 swap and sometimes I wish I had a helper (adult)... my lil one loves to help but its seems to be more work when she helps mommy.. And as a Host.. its awesome to see all the fabrics come in.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by L8quilter
Try after bedtime. LOL! :)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by katvert
luv- borrow away - there is no real pattern I made it up as I went. Pretty simple still
hooked - I will probably do the same for the next one... and i will have to find out his favorite color.
If you don't mind my asking how many squares did you use on that quilt and what size? Never made a I Spy and only did 4 sets for swap so need to plan on more how many more I need to get. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by hooked
Originally Posted by katvert
luv- borrow away - there is no real pattern I made it up as I went. Pretty simple still
hooked - I will probably do the same for the next one... and i will have to find out his favorite color.
If you don't mind my asking how many squares did you use on that quilt and what size? Never made a I Spy and only did 4 sets for swap so need to plan on more how many more I need to get. Thanks for your help.

No problem.... I used 4.5" squares (with inseam) giving me 4" finished squares... and I ended up with the green one being 52x64 after borders, it took 80 full size squares in the center and the border took 80 1/2 (4.5*2.5) strips. (it also has 20 - 8" (8.5) squares on the back. --- this is mostly because my mom mailed me the fabric after I had finished the top and because he has clothes out of it I still wanted to use it.

& the purple one is 44x58 and has the same smaller squares and took 80 squares. (becuase I do not have much girly stuff I had bought pre-cut squares on etsy.)

This swap is for 6" squares so assuming they are all exactly 6" - after inseam your finished squares would be 5.5. 4 sets would give you 48. So you could do 6 across and 8 down and you should end up with 33*44 before borders - add a 6" border around and you would have 45*56 finished product.

My other issue is quilting them... my sons ended up being so busy that after several attempts and many ripped seams, I hand tied it. Without anything on the back of my niece's - I machine quilting it by meandering (variegated thread) and just tried to stay off of faces.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM

I love the "scrap" borders, just not my favorite to make. LOL! :) Those look amazing!!!

Well, time to go pick up my helper and after he goes to bed tonight, I'll take pictures of all of the fabrics and I'll be measuring the squares to ensure they are ready to swap and then the actual swapping with start tomorrow. I have my list of who is getting what and am ready to go!!! :)
Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the information katvert. I cant wait to start quilt. Am looking for more squares to make quilt bigger and have friend going through her scraps for pieces that will work. This is so much fun!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 AM

I really appreciate you stepping up Yosamitesa and hosting this swap. I bet it is fun loking through all the squares. Can't wait to get mine soon.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia D
I really appreciate you stepping up Yosamitesa and hosting this swap. I bet it is fun loking through all the squares. Can't wait to get mine soon.
Yes...and no...LOL! A little overwhelmed. 144 sets of fabric x 12 squares/set...my head hurts. LOL! Not to mention my helper decided to try and help rearrange my fabrics last night. :-P
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Quick shot of some of the fabrics I received!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215658.jpe