Armylady2012
travelinggramma
CookieZenmilk
cuppy
lovngrandma - new swapper!
SheriR
j50 - new swapper!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Welcome lovngrandma and j50. Could you share a little about yourselves? I live fulltime in our fifth wheel trailer. Spending the summer on eastern end of Long Island to be closer to my mom and
Grandchildren.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:19 PM

what a great idea travelinggramma, why don't we all share a short bio about ourselves.

I live 20 min north of Boston, MA, about 10 min from Salem, MA, home of the witch trials and nathaniel hawthorne. Lots of history there. I monitor traffic cameras for red light and speed violations and issue tickets; about 300 each shift. my accounts are cedar rapids iowa, orlando florida area and illinois. I am a quilter but mostly I enjoy making small things like postcards and mini quilts.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:21 AM

do you go to an office to work? or can it be done from home? I love learning about all the jobs people do or have done. When we went on the road, we have picked up seasonal jobs. I say that I can do most anything for a season. Worked for Amazon fulfillment center, campground hosts, accounting clerk, reformatting information onto excel worksheets, museum work, and volunteering for American Red Cross Disasters etc/
Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk View Post
what a great idea travelinggramma, why don't we all share a short bio about ourselves.

I live 20 min north of Boston, MA, about 10 min from Salem, MA, home of the witch trials and nathaniel hawthorne. Lots of history there. I monitor traffic cameras for red light and speed violations and issue tickets; about 300 each shift. my accounts are cedar rapids iowa, orlando florida area and illinois. I am a quilter but mostly I enjoy making small things like postcards and mini quilts.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:14 AM

I am sure that some of you have figured out by my board name that I have served in the military. I served almost 25 years and finally retired in 2012, I then moved to Brandon, Fl where my brother was living and that is where I stated sewing, my sister-in-law Mildred who also is a member on the board (nana20010) got me started. I did a lot of different things while serving I went to Desert Storm and was on my way again in 2008 when they found medical issues which made me non-deployable but I still served in Ft. Gordon, GA at the Medical Hold Center.

while in I was a Truck driver, forklift operator, fueler, administration, armor and had a lot of additional duties. I miss serving my country but not all the BS that it entails. I have a daughter and 3 grandkids (2 boys Dakarai 9, Amari 5) and my granddaughter Analise is 2. They keep me busy especially since they all live with me.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 AM

I'm in again this month!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Let's see, short bio...

I have wanted to learn to hand quilt for years, so that I could complete a quilt with a top my Great Grandfather made (he made hundreds of tops and would drop them off with "the church ladies" so they could quilt them and donate them, but a top was set aside for each of us great-grandkids). I found out the Senior Center had a group that meets every Monday, so I stopped by to visit with them last summer, and now I'm the only under-40 "member" (our oldest turned 100 in November).

I have a son who is attending community college this year and working part time (to help pay for college).

Up until two years ago I worked as a maintenance electrician, but due to a horrible environment, I moved on to a much better career at a new location (still "field work", still the only female, but a great crew, and lots of downtime where I can quilt/sew/crochet/read/etc). I now work 12 hour rotating shifts, but I really like my schedule and the job, I don't think I could ask for a better one.

Along with the quilting hobby, I enjoy woodworking, photography, baking, travel, and a bunch of other stuff. I hope to move "into the woods" soon, just need the house built (I live in the PNW, Oregon now, but property is in Washington). After I'm done helping my son with college, I hope to visit at least one country a year (I've been to 13 so far). When I'm retired and done with the hassle of foreign travel (long flights, language barrier, etc), I hope to get a dog and a camper/small rv/camper van and travel the states.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 AM

K-Roll
Armylady2012
travelinggramma
CookieZenmilk
cuppy
lovngrandma - new swapper!
SheriR
j50 - new swapper!
Sleepy Hollow
Old 05-19-2017, 12:02 AM

Now that I am a 'lady of leisure' - retired - I've found this quilting/sewing hobby to be 'sew fascinating' & a never-ending puzzle, in a good way. I spent my college years in fine arts. I spent my career in emergency communications for San Francisco. I bake and cook and like a challenge, I live on an island. We're about 6 feet above sea level: my garden will have standing water in the winter after a heavy rain, so I pretend I live on the Nile - everything grows. We finally had a non-drought year this winter. 2 DDs, of course they are everything to me; one lives near, one lives in Brooklyn, so I go to NY every year. I write for fun and (so far) no profit. I am making my first quilt. It's slow going - wish I had started up quilting years ago!
Old 05-19-2017, 05:39 AM

I'm in again too!!! Lots of neat ideas bouncing around this time!!