Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: March Secret Pal Swap Closes 4pm Feb 28th

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    Posted!
    My first Pal (I've swapped with before) lives in a state that doesn't end in 'a'. She asked for something I've never seen or heard of (or even knew about ) - it's not quilt-related. I did get her some of her favourite fabric, which is also a favourite of mine.
    This could be me! I live in New York ... no "a" at the end!

And I asked for clothing labels which is probably confusing to many, but it IS quilt related and if I have you Knitette, I would love some of YOUR clothing labels! To clear the air on this odd request ... the labels are the ones in the back of your clothing: brand/size/care/and country of origin. Many of the QB members were so kind and sent me lots of wonderful labels which I was slowly hand stitching into an art quilt as a tribute to the women who toil in sweat shops all over the world, stitching them in and running the machines that make them. Sad to say I had them stored in a lovely antique tin soap box with a tropical chromolith on it ... and every thing was destroyed in the flood. So ... if you have me ... I would love some labels!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
    My SP lives in a state where seafood is in abundance! Hmm...who could that be?
    ToomanyUFOs!!!
    Krystyna

Despite my best efforts I have not been able to start on my Secret Pal package yet. Never fear secret pal I plan on starting tonight and your package will be on its way soon. Another hint ....

My secret pal has no pets
    Happy Sewing

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    I love it when there is an answer for the "Do you collect anything" question! That usually sets the theme for the rest of the pkg -- if you've ever lived in the south, you would know that no southern woman would think of doing anything at all without first having a theme. I learned that lesson quickly when I first moved here and was a room mother for the kindergarten class. It became a real hassle when my helpers couldn't agree on a theme for the classroom Easter egg hunt (yes, Easter was not a definitive-enough theme in itself). Anyway, that gives me an excuse to go "junk store" shopping!

My sp this month is either fairly new to the swap or is one of the "quiet" ones. She has a collectible item which is fairly common but just a tad out of season. I think I can work with it ... I'm anxious to hit the roads on a quest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana View Post
    My sp this month is either fairly new to the swap or is one of the "quiet" ones. She has a collectible item which is fairly common but just a tad out of season. I think I can work with it ... I'm anxious to hit the roads on a quest.
    Ha! I know who it is and what she collects! Santas!!!
    Krystyna

I liked that Louise posted her tracking number....well, all but the last four. That being said, here's my SP tracking info minus the last 4......940550369930033946****
    Last edited by mscupid804; 03-05-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Nope -- no Santas. Not even close .....well, maybe a little.

Also likes batiks -- everybody seems to like batiks.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    This could be me! I live in New York ... no "a" at the end!

And I asked for clothing labels which is probably confusing to many, but it IS quilt related and if I have you Knitette, I would love some of YOUR clothing labels! So ... if you have me ... I would love some labels!
    Hmmm. I think I'd remember if I'd swapped with you already......................
    However I'm more than happy to send you labels - I have a friend who cuts out all the labels on her clothes before she wears them and will ask my friends for any.
    I'll pm you for your new address when I've gathered some. Would you like children's? DD has two fast-growing boys.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

SP Clue #2- You have only posted 13 times in the 20 months you have been a member here.

Sorry UFO!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TammyB View Post
    More clues for my SP. She lives east of me, she does charity sewing. Guess that might be you, Krystyna. You never know.

This could be me.
    Happy Quilting!
    Cathy

Getting ready to mail my SP package out tomorrow. Post lady will pick it up in the morning. I'm not sure but I think my SP is fairly new, as of 2000 the population of her town was 276, Elevation 1522 ft and the area consists of 3.9 square miles. Oh yeah tracking number is 9405 5036 9930 0342 **** **. Love the idea of putting the tracking number in like this.

Verna2197

Nope just checked and she is not a newbie, been on the board since 2010
    Last edited by verna2197; 03-05-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    I collect Seraphim Angels

I have one more thing to make for my SP so am aiming to mail on Friday. She lives way west of me, has an unusual pet, likes all colours, and the one thing she wants will cost hundreds of dollars, so sorry, you are not getting it!

Which brings me to a suggestion. I'm new so maybe shouldn't speak out, but to say the ONE thing you want costs hundreds, even thousands of dollars guarantees you won't get it in this swap. It seems the more reasonable thing to do would be to state one thing we want that is at least possible for our SP giver.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    Which brings me to a suggestion. I'm new so maybe shouldn't speak out, but to say the ONE thing you want costs hundreds, even thousands of dollars guarantees you won't get it in this swap. It seems the more reasonable thing to do would be to state one thing we want that is at least possible for our SP giver.
    Belfrybat, you are not obligated to get the most wanted item, only if you want to and are able. It's just a good suggestion of getting something your sp actually wants. I have gone way over budget many times, and so have others, but you don't have to. I myself, will always get the most wanted item for my sp so long as it doesn't cost over $20, but that's me. I do this because I know it's something my sp wants the most, not because I have to. I have seen you other times mention money as an issue in this swap. All you are obligated to spend is $10 (that does NOT include S&H), nothing more unless you want to. And that doesn't mean get everything at the dollar store. Others spend more because either they want to or have collected things in the past by getting on sale or buying 2 or 3 of the same while out, etc. So as long you yourself are spending your $10 budget, stop worrying about the rest. I like the most wanted item to stay for reasons I have already stated.
    Teresa
    "I collect wind chimes."

Ok for you U.S. that have sent internationally. What is the best way to do so. I went to postal today to get PR boxes to use.... one for U.S. and the other international... however there is a big difference in cost. U.S. for that box is $12 and some change and if sent internationally its $59 and some change. I'd rather just put the money in an envelope and send it to the SP than waste that much on postage. Money is NOT an issue with me however I also don't like to squander it on postage a whole lot more than what I'd be sending them dollar wise.

What method do y'all send internationally. Postal lady suggested I don't use a PR box and use a padded envelope and bring it in and it will be a whole lot cheaper.

I'm afraid I don't mail often except for swaps I might join so this is all new to me.
    clsurz

Quote Originally Posted by reeskylr View Post
    My SP collects things that fly.
    Is it butterflies! :-)
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    clsurz: I'd go with the padded envelope then. 59.00 is crazy, I couldn't afford that.
    And it's not butterflies

SP -- I'm not sure I've seen a post from you yet, so that leaves a lot of folks looking for hints out of this race.

Oh wait, yes you did, you posted today!!!
    Last edited by reeskylr; 03-05-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    Money is NOT an issue with me however I also don't like to squander it on postage a whole lot more than what I'd be sending them dollar wise.

What method do y'all send internationally. Postal lady suggested I don't use a PR box and use a padded envelope and bring it in and it will be a whole lot cheaper.

I'm afraid I don't mail often except for swaps I might join so this is all new to me.
    US international postage has just shot up in price. The Priority Mail envelopes went from$16.95 to a whopping $23.95 (which is a real pain for me as I buy a lot from US as it's so expensive here). You get loads in one of those.
    Me - personally - I think that's still quite a lot to pay in postage for a $10 swap, particularly if you do two. I was just over $30 today for both of mine and try to keep the parcels light enough not to go much over that amount.
    I would genuinely be delighted to get a spool of Aurifil thread (my new favourite) and a FQ, which hopefully only cost a few dollars to post.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

I mailed my sp package today. My pal is a granny, started sewing when she was 12, spends time in VBS.

Quote Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
    I mailed my sp package today. My pal is a granny, started sewing when she was 12, spends time in VBS.
    I know who has me .....will see in a few days... this one is mine big smile
    Vicki W

clsurz,

I mail to the U.S. almost daily by international mail and the best way to go is to ignore the Priority mail flat rate options and use a plain padded mailer, unless your package is over 28 oz. (1 lb 12 oz.) I try to use my packaging wisely and avoid heavy items.

Gaijin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
    My SP lives in a state where seafood is in abundance! Hmm...who could that be?
    ME ME ME ME - I see food and eat
    Be good to yourself - do one thing each day that makes you smile.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    Ok for you U.S. that have sent internationally. What is the best way to do so. I went to postal today to get PR boxes to use.... one for U.S. and the other international... however there is a big difference in cost. U.S. for that box is $12 and some change and if sent internationally its $59 and some change. I'd rather just put the money in an envelope and send it to the SP than waste that much on postage. Money is NOT an issue with me however I also don't like to squander it on postage a whole lot more than what I'd be sending them dollar wise.

I've had several international swap partners over the past year - I don't mind - I did however have a mis-step when I mailed the first time to Canada - it's my neighbor north (I could drive there in about 5.5 hours) and my package was over four pounds and the shipping ended up being $49 and some change. Post master advised me that if I want to ship internationally to stay under the four pound limit, try to use a bubble wrapped envelope and make certain to tape it closed - I've been averaging around $20 or less on my international shipping the last few times.
    Be good to yourself - do one thing each day that makes you smile.

Blog Entries
    I spent $29 for a large envelope the last time I mailed international, Trying to buy small, light things that will fit in a padded envelope this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    ToomanyUFOs!!!
    I guess Krystyna you are probably right. I have fresh lobster, 2types of crabs, scallops, fish, mussels, clams, quahogs and shrimp right off the boats, not having gone to market. Can't get any fresher. Yummy, but gives me gout if I eat too much or too often.
    SO QUILTNUT4EVER YOU MUST BE MY SP! Any more clues?

Sorry TOOMANYUFO'S its not I! but on the subject of seafood now here in SWFL we do have lots of seafood too! I haven't seen my sp post here lately so when I send her pkg I hope she likes it!

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast