Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: MUG RUG SWAP....Sign ups closed

Ever notice how something that is "good enough" for yourself is never good enough when you're making it for someone else? I sure am having a hard time with the binding on my mug-rug. I finally got it done, but don't think it's very pretty. It's amazing I forgot how to match up the binding on the bias and all that. I sewed (and un-sewed) several serpentine type connections before I looked for a refresher online.

Now I'm going to wash it and pray it holds together!

Lynnie, we used to do the same type of thing, but we would go view houses we would never be able to afford.
    :-)
    CAS

When I sold real estate I worked in a very high end market. 2M to 12 M normal. the 1M houses were .. dogs. So I got to see a ton of different styles it was fun and sometimes you get those OH MY moments. One house had a bedroom with ebony floors. 100K just for the wood in the floor in there. Each room was more extravagent than the other. It was kinda .. creepy if you ask me. The tiki movie theatre, the BEYOND bright yellow family room with a giant rainbow on the wall (they had no kids) then the livingroom with the copy of the versille fireplace mantel with gold leaf etc.. nothing worked. ohoh a big pig painted on the kitchen wall. um who was the designer? the owner. big time designer. so house window shopping is fun isnt it. And most agents dont care ifyou shop your neighborhood to see how much what have they done etc.. it means maybe you might remember their name from the flier you took if you decide to sell later on. So go look heck with it. I mean we are stuck there for 4or 5 hours and sometimes its darned boring five or six people come through. A lookey lou might also know someone they want to tell about the house. FYI lol like you cared. you know you were going to peak anyways. I have chicken fabric but no roosters. gingerbread men I have but of course they are Christmasy. and well cats, and flowers and purples and teals and valentines galore.. 22 days?? ARGH!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

i am in....

Hey, I'd like to get in on the Mug Rug action! Sent a PM.

oh Nelco I just checked out the first posting you had of all the mug rugs. Wow some terrific ideas and then the google search that showed a zillion. I want them all! I am truly ready to whip up a couple. Ideas galore. wowsa.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    oh Nelco I just checked out the first posting you had of all the mug rugs. Wow some terrific ideas and then the google search that showed a zillion. I want them all! I am truly ready to whip up a couple. Ideas galore. wowsa.
    I am with you all the way Linda. i made one with a little pocket in it for DGD so she could put her letter to santa in it on Xmas eve.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Blog Entries
    Mmmmo.k. so now heres another question
    Do you drink coffee, tea chai or cocoa?
    If you drank coffee would you prefer your mug rug say coffee, what if it said tea and you drink coffee. Maybe ishould write cuppa instead???!!

My daughter called last night..She bought Blue and Orange dishes for our new house and wants to do it in a Florida Gators theme!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Mmmmo.k. so now heres another question
    Do you drink coffee, tea chai or cocoa?
    If you drank coffee would you prefer your mug rug say coffee, what if it said tea and you drink coffee. Maybe ishould write cuppa instead???!!
    I've never had the Chai Tea but do like flavored teas. Coffee, love it and cocoa oh yeay!! I'm not picky though on anything. As long as I can claim it as mine...I'm happy!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

I drink coffee but do love tea as well, the Chai
    Is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
    I've never had the Chai Tea but do like flavored teas. Coffee, love it and cocoa oh yeay!! I'm not picky though on anything. As long as I can claim it as mine...I'm happy!
    buddy'smom
    April's mom
    Tara's mom

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    My daughter called last night..She bought Blue and Orange dishes for our new house and wants to do it in a Florida Gators theme!
    Remind her that a little brightness goes a long way with that. My dad's 4th wife's brother did their 2nd bathroom in FL Gators. When they bought the house, it already had blue tile in the tub and on the floors, so he painted the walls orange and the cabinets were white. Then they got gators shower curtain, window curtain, floor mats, and toilet seat/tank covers. When you went in there, it was so bright that it made you sick.

Blog Entries
    After reading all the posts, I could not resist joining. I never had a theme for my house...mostly called it whatever we bought. I like bright colors and not dull brown, grey, blacks; flowers and cats are my favorites and anything to do with quilting. Will be happy to have a new mug rug. Now I go to make a few for practice so when I find out about my partner...I can make one well. Thanks for the pillowcase hint. Bindings on tiny things is hard. Looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone's creations. What a fun thread.
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
    After reading all the posts, I could not resist joining. I never had a theme for my house...mostly called it whatever we bought. I like bright colors and not dull brown, grey, blacks; flowers and cats are my favorites and anything to do with quilting. Will be happy to have a new mug rug. Now I go to make a few for practice so when I find out about my partner...I can make one well. Thanks for the pillowcase hint. Bindings on tiny things is hard. Looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone's creations. What a fun thread.
    Happy you joined Sandy.
    Nelda
    Become a Legend
    Be an Organ Doner

Got some material the other day I hope to be able to use on my Ss mug rug. I can use an assortment of colors so will wait to hear who I have, what her color preferences are to finish it out.

Can t wait to get started!
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

Blog Entries
    I cant wait either. Was just binging ixeas, cute puppies,kitties fancy, quilted mugrugs for ideas. This is a great swap.

I've made a few different ones so maybe one of them will work, love Chai tea! Do not drink coffee but the Chai tea and coca is great. My kitchen is Black/White and bright colors. my living room is BRown/ Creams. I love mug rugs! Can't wait.
    PMarch

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    I signed up! I love to make rug mugs! Name:  floral rugmug.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  197.3 KB I designed this one with a nice three dimensional flower
    Resolve to be thyself, and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery. Mathew Arnold 'Self-Dependence' 1822-1888

Blog Entries
    Wow,awesome.
    I love it.

Mug Rugs I made recently

Here's the bunch of mug rugs I did for my boyfriend's office staff for Christmas. He works at Auburn University, so everything in their building is fairly cold and institutional. I wanted to warm things up and give everyone something happy to put on their desks, so I bought a bundle of Hawaiian print fat quarters. And since I was appliqueing like a crazy person doing the table runner swap, I decided to do most of these that way as well, except the sailboat, which is a quilt square. There are 6 ladies and 3 men on his staff, and I know most of them personally for one reason or another (kids in band together, his office functions, etc). One of the men used to be my son's guitar teacher before he worked at the university, so I thought that the guitar one was very fitting for him, and it turned out to be my favorite. My least favorite is the turtle, which you can barely tell is one from the photo. I'll post these as individual photos on my profile too, if I can figure out how.

Name:  OfficeMugRugs2012.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  296.8 KB
    Last edited by DustysMomma; 12-31-2012 at 04:24 AM.

now those are bright. seriously bright. wont lose your coffee on those. dont let the florida gator people near them they just might change their theme. I am oh so happy our house is not football themed. be a dungeon black and silver. yikes. we have one football photo hanging in the man bedroom I gave up he started muckingit up now its a man bedroom. I have a guitar, sound equipment, guns, boots, bullets, monster knives, pilesof work clothes and more! decorating. he can NOT decorate any other room. I close that door and its well not part of the rest of the house. Thankfully I spend time in there eyes closed dead asleep. i would go nuts otherwise.

Mug rugs I like them bigger than smaller rather use them to put a vase on or my napkin holder. something perfect for the center of the table if I am using mats or not at dinner. my table is small and with placemats there is stilla spot smaller than a placemat in the center I would love for a hot dish .. that is what I use them for. cherry red. now that is a happy color. I prefer no embellishments so there is not a spot something could tip over on. I am a clutz. also please washable. it is going on a table. it will be used. not a decorator mug rug ok?
    Linda

Elisa, yes, they are bright. Everyone seemed to be pretty happy with them. I used some new variegated thread I bought on them. The surfboard one was a little loud, but the lady I gave it to not only thanked me in person, she also emailed me to tell me how much she loved it, so I think I picked the right person to give it to. It was nice to bring some color into that environment of gray and brown. I posted these pictures on facebook after I posted them here, and my best friend has already requested one with of the "coffee" themed ones. I guess I'll throw it together and it'll be part of her Christmas, since I haven't had a chance to give her gifts to her yet. I bought her the most adorable cheese plate with matching knife at the Syrup Sop a couple months ago, and brought her a pair of warm purple slippers like mine from Denmark.

Our house isn't especially football themed, but we do have Auburn University logos stashed all over the house. The biggest is probably the fireplace screen (http://www.sportsmirrors.com/auburn-...ace-screen.htm). We have all Auburn logo'd Tervis tumblers, I sit on an Auburn pillow when I sew, we have orange and blue bed sheets, and then there's the little things here and there that are Auburn, but not orange and blue. We definitely have a male oriented decor in our house, lots of black, chrome, glass, and medium to dark woods, but it's OK, because the house I lived in when I was married to my ex was way too girly for my taste because that's what he wanted. Our dining room table is currently unfinished, but I'm thinking of staining it black (not painting, because that'll be too stark). The table is at least 15 years old and was made in Denmark. My boyfriend's had it since he was in college and brought it with him when he moved to the US to teach at Auburn University.

I think your hotpad style mug rug is a great idea. Perhaps we should do a whole swap of them! I have some squares already cut out to match the placemats I made for my boyfriend's mom for Christmas & I'm thinking that I may make her a couple hotpads to match, since I know she'll use them. I could use a hotpad runner that will fit our bar. When we have my boyfriend's grad students here for graduation parties, we usually put everything out as a buffet on the bar. It's granite so the heat doesn't affect it so much, but it would be nice to have something pretty to put on the bar, especially an Auburn themed one for graduation parties. Now that I'm down to 2 unfinished projects, maybe I'll add that to my to-do list.

I want to play please...
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

Here are two I just made up in my favourite colour. Not sure what I will do with them. I've been making mug rugs from my FMQ practice pieces. Gives me good experience with binding as well as FMQ.
    Name:  mug rugs-striped.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  288.8 KB

These are so cute Belfry!

Blog Entries
    I made a couple out of Halloween scraps from a swap I did. Mostly to practice FMQ and binding..one of the young girls at work liked them so much I gave her one and made another for DH and I.
    Pictures not so good, but you can get the gist of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast