Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
No, now I have a major problem on how to delete this post. Any ideas. I didn't notice the background until I had posted the pic. My post only snowed a very small pic of the puppy. I already sent a message to the post monitors, so far no response.
Not to worry. Your significant other will never know, and the puppy is adorable!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM

They are too cute together.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I need to monitor her, but I don't like to crate my dogs.
Like it or not it is invaluable training. First crate training is not cruel or inhumane. Dogs evovled as "den" type animals so as much as puppies protest, at first, they really learn to feel safe and secure in a crate. A crate is like a den or sanctuary to a puppy. Yes I felt horrible when my puppy cried when we crate him up for the evening but he doesn't cry now because he knows it is temporary and he feels safe in the crate. I leave the crate up and open at all times and my little guy will often go into it on his own for his quiet time or to chew a raw bone or bully stick. He is fed in his crate so he feels no need to be protective of his food.
Should you ever be in a situation where you have to evacuate your home, most shelters will only allow crated dogs, if they allow dogs at all.
It will make for a much less stressful situation should you ever have to hospitilize or board your dog if the dog is already crate trained.
Finally crate training, believe it or not, helps stop destructive behavior from happening when they are un crated. Also safer for the pup. Can you imagine how horrible you would feel if the puppy got into something it shouldn't have because you don't like to crate your dog and only turned your back for a minute. I have read too many horror stories of people who couldn't afford the vet bill for the emergency surgery to remove an item that should not have been ingested or worse, didn't realize they ate a bunch of fiberfill or something else and the dog died because of it. Crating (or locking in a puppy proofed room) when you can't supervise is the safest alternative.

I suggest you start crate training your cute lab or you will have an uncontrollable handful when she is an 18 month old young adult. Labs are great dogs when trained but have a major reputation for destruction when not trained. I knew someone whose lab ate her TV remote control and ruined many, many shoes.

Once they are past the age of being destructive you can give them free roam of the house as I do with my 2 YO shepherd.

these two were the first I crate trained and I had numerous dogs before that I did not. Now that I have walked both sides of the fence, I find crate training a great tool.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Gee ... I guess santa doesn't like me this year. No package yet.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM

is the 1st and oldest puppy, Allie a month ago. She is 5 months old yellow lab now and packed full of energy. She feels she is the number 1 animal in the house. She can trash a living room in less than 5 minutes, if we are not closely monitoring her. This is why I have lost so much of my sewing time. I need to monitor her, but I don't like to crate my dogs. They get free access to most of the house, except my sewing room of courses. That room is off limits to all animals. She is such a good puppy most of the time. She is at the fun age, where she is playing and exploring and is not afraid so much any more.
Cute pups! Why are you opposed to crating? Giving a dog a 'safe place' isn't in any way cruel. Phoebe is snoozing in her (open) crate, right now. She was on my lap but wanted down, and went into her crate. When we have too much noise in the house (loud company or TV), she'll usually put herself to bed, in her crate. I only close the crate door, if I'm going to be away from the house for any length of time (she just snoozes) and when I go to bed. At night, her crate is next to my bed and she'll wake me, if she needs to go out during the night (she's 11 yo). She willingly goes into her crate and just settles herself down, to snooze.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Gee ... I guess santa doesn't like me this year. No package yet.
Maybe Terri can have your SS check the tracking, to make sure the package is still on its way.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:19 AM

Great pictures of the new fur babies everyone is getting. It makes me want to go get one too.

Hint for today: Looks like you could do alot of water related activities in your area.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM

Well, I feel really bad I am two weeks post surgery (major foot surgery) I mailed my package late. And then that I didn't wrap each item of my package and then realized that everything is not in her box. So, guess what that means yes, my SS partner will get a New Years package. Hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Our Bichon also preferred his crate. This was taken about a year before he passed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]447811[/ATTACH]
When we had to board him, he much preferred a smaller room and would cry if they tried to be nice and give him a kennel for a large dog. He wanted to be in his "room" every night and for the longest time he would cry if we left the door open. He finally agreed to leaving the door open, then after the kids left home he realized that there was no one on his floor so sometimes he would sleep on his cushions in the living room. We miss our fur-baby but am enjoying more spur of the moment time. Maybe latter we might get another but it would not be fair to baby right not as we both work full time.
Attached Thumbnails dsci1147e.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156 View Post
I hope this picture uploads. My first attempt.

My secret santa person is getting this in their package. Hundreds of 1.5 inch postage stamp squares. I hope she likes them. Trust me it was ALOT of cutting and this is the reason that my package is so late.
All I can say is WOW I am sure she will love it!!!