Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Paper Pieced Kaleidoscope block swap >

Paper Pieced Kaleidoscope block swap

Paper Pieced Kaleidoscope block swap

Old 10-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I've been watching this thread with interest. I would love to play, but the postage would be about $13 round trip for 8 small blocks. That is too much for me. I could mail first class, but return by priority would still run around $11 round trip. I'm just not that flush.

Also the paper off/on issue... I don't want paper to pick off. I use the PP technique where you fold back the pattern on the line and sew right beside it, rather than through it, so I can use my patterns several time and not have to print so many (ink is expensive too!). No picking off paper, either. So my blocks would not be coming with paper backing and would make some of you unhappy.

I guess I will just continue to watch and see if some of these issues sift out.... The quilt is beautiful and I've always wanted to make that pattern.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:16 AM

I'm so glad to see your interest, ladies. My original thought was to have this be 8 blocks per swap rather than sets of blocks honestly because I wasn't sure how much interest there would be. Based on my past experience with swaps, in order to not get some of your own blocks back and/or to receive several blocks from the same swapper, we would need to have AT LEAST 8 swappers participating. Let's see how this goes and, depending on how many people we have, maybe we can decide on sets of blocks down the road.

I certainly don't want to have cost to be a factor in keeping anyone from participating!!! Does anyone know of a more cost-effective way for mailing? I'm open to ideas/suggestions.

I looked at the Quilters Cache block and thought it was for a 12" block. Didn't realize it was for a 1/4 of the block. Guess I hadn't had enough coffee yet - - - LOL If the template is indeed for a 6 1/2" unfinished block, that's fine with me. I agree that a 4" block is too small. If we go with the Quilters Cache template, we'll figure out the pdf format so all can copy/print.

At the moment we're at 4 for keeping the paper on and 2 for paper off. No final decision yet - - -

If I missed anything, let me know!

Again, thanks for your interest!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Ganny - if the Quilters Cache template will give you a 6 1/2" unfinished block, please use that and go ahead and get started.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM

I'm interested too. Ill be watching this thread. If I do join, I might find it easier with paper off.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Mailing eight 6" (finished) blocks is like mailing two 12" (finished) blocks. I'm not going to pay as much postage as is required by the swap for such a few blocks. I usually send one 12" block by first class mail for a 2-ounce 70 cent stamp. That's $1.40 for two blocks... Or if the two blocks together in one envelope weigh less than 3 ounces, then it's 91 cents.

I do understand there are QB general rules to follow, so if the swap was approved with only one type of postal situation then that's that.

However, QB general rules do indicate to be inclusive to people with various skill levels. I prefer to let people paper piece any way that they are comfortable doing it. I've done the method of paper piecing that sewbizgirl describes. It's just as accurate as other ways and besides the benefits of no paper removing and less cost for paper and printer ink, there are also benefits of no needles dulled by sewing paper, no rotary blades dulled by cutting paper, less weight to mail, etc.

Sorry! I thought we would be doing sets, like we have done in the past-- so I'll bow out.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Jane, is this suitable for what you have in mind? It is a paper pieced pattern that indicates to use 4 of the pattern to make a 12" block-- so using one will make the 6" block. http://www.quilterscache.com/K/KaleidoscopeBlock.html

PS. Oh, it's a .gif file instead of a .pdf... How to print??
Right click outside the pic and print should come up.. Or if you right click on the pic you can save the file and then print
Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]582401[/ATTACH]Yea Jane, I was able to get my 1st 8 done. hope I have the right contrast for you. May be able to get a 2nd set of 8 done, but it'll have to wait. Off to baby sit.
Attached Thumbnails dscf3826.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 05:51 AM

WARNING.
Make sure to measure the pattern after you print it. Mine came out small so I had to enlarge it. I had to increase it to 112% but that may not be the same for everyone.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 AM

hi Jane, it's been a while, I'd like to join in again. I also like the paper left on for stability. can we send a stamped envelope for return with our blocks? It will save on postage for those that have a problem with it.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Glasqlts - So glad to hear from you! At the moment, we're in a 'hold' mode; need to be sure we have enough people to participate, working out some details, etc. I'll definitely include you in the interest list.