Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper Pieced Kaleidoscope block swap

Paper Pieced Kaleidoscope block swap

Welcome to our Paper Pieced Kaleidoscope block swap. We will be making 6 1/2" unfinished blocks using the free pattern and template from Quilter by Design below.

http://www.quilterbydesign.com/lesso...eidoscope.html

Please print out lots of copies of the template as we will be making lots and lots of Kaleidoscope quilt blocks!!

If you look online you'll see that the success of these quilts depends on HIGH CONTRAST. We will be making 4 light/dark blocks and 4 dark/light blocks for a total of 8 (eight) blocks. We may adjust this once we get going. It's fine to make all of your blocks with different fabrics. Please use a light/neutral fabric for the light portion of the block including the corner units. You may use a third light fabric if you like. It doesn't necessarily have to be white or off-white, it just has to be light/neutral. The picture below is an example only.

Please PM me with:

Your screen name
    Your real name
    Address/city/state/zip

Our first mailing deadline will be Thursday November 30th. Please use the USPS Priority Flat Rate envelope (9 1/2 x 12 1/2) and include $6.65 for postage. ((or pay for the postage and put it on your return envelope)). It depends on what your PO will allow you to do. Please Label Your Quilt Blocks. Any blocks not labeled will be returned unswapped.

This is going to be loads of fun! Let's Go!!

Jane
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-14-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Jane

I'm in for one set as of now, will pm you. Will this one be a one time?

Would you prefer the papers to be left on so that each person will not have to deal with the stretchy bias edges when sewing their squares together?
    Stephanie.

So nice to see you, Ganny!! No, will be an ongoing swap as long as we have enough interested people.
    Jane

Let's see what the group thinks but I'm leaning toward 'yes'.
    Jane

Thanks, Jane, for starting another block swap! I've missed doing them them you!
    I prefer papers off. It will be less bulk and weight to mail. How many sets can we send? With a 6" finished size how many do you think will fit in an envelope? Did you test that? Just 8 blocks will not be cost effective.
    I'll join. Who can resist that lovely picture! :-) Of course, with a scrappy color theme from several people's stashes, ours won't look like that picture, but still, what a beauty that one is!

Is there any other link for a 6" block? This link indicates that it's for Macintosh users, and I don't have a Macintosh...
    Last edited by givio; 10-15-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Jane, is this suitable for what you have in mind? It is a paper pieced pattern that indicates to use 4 of the pattern to make a 12" block-- so using one will make the 6" block. http://www.quilterscache.com/K/KaleidoscopeBlock.html

PS. Oh, it's a .gif file instead of a .pdf... How to print??
    Last edited by givio; 10-15-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Can more than 1 set of 8 be sent? For me, I prefer paper to be left on until I finish sewing.

I also prefer the paper on until blocks are sewn together, too much stretch without papers. Dont think Ill take part if decision is to remove paper.
    Stephanie.

I went to the site, and printed the pattern, but it is a 4 inch block. Personally I don't like a 4 inch block. If you go to Quilters Cache,http://www.quilterscache.com/K/KaleidoscopeBlock.html it has a 12 inch block pattern. I downloaded it, and it prints 6 inches, even though the picture shows 12. I would rather have a 6 inch block. What do you think? I didn't change anything when I downloaded at QC, it just doesn't print 12 inches. Let me know so I can begin.

I would also like to have my paper on when blocks are received.

I've been watching this thread with interest. I would love to play, but the postage would be about $13 round trip for 8 small blocks. That is too much for me. I could mail first class, but return by priority would still run around $11 round trip. I'm just not that flush.

Also the paper off/on issue... I don't want paper to pick off. I use the PP technique where you fold back the pattern on the line and sew right beside it, rather than through it, so I can use my patterns several time and not have to print so many (ink is expensive too!). No picking off paper, either. So my blocks would not be coming with paper backing and would make some of you unhappy.

I guess I will just continue to watch and see if some of these issues sift out.... The quilt is beautiful and I've always wanted to make that pattern.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm so glad to see your interest, ladies. My original thought was to have this be 8 blocks per swap rather than sets of blocks honestly because I wasn't sure how much interest there would be. Based on my past experience with swaps, in order to not get some of your own blocks back and/or to receive several blocks from the same swapper, we would need to have AT LEAST 8 swappers participating. Let's see how this goes and, depending on how many people we have, maybe we can decide on sets of blocks down the road.

I certainly don't want to have cost to be a factor in keeping anyone from participating!!! Does anyone know of a more cost-effective way for mailing? I'm open to ideas/suggestions.

I looked at the Quilters Cache block and thought it was for a 12" block. Didn't realize it was for a 1/4 of the block. Guess I hadn't had enough coffee yet - - - LOL If the template is indeed for a 6 1/2" unfinished block, that's fine with me. I agree that a 4" block is too small. If we go with the Quilters Cache template, we'll figure out the pdf format so all can copy/print.

At the moment we're at 4 for keeping the paper on and 2 for paper off. No final decision yet - - -

If I missed anything, let me know!

Again, thanks for your interest!
    Jane

Ganny - if the Quilters Cache template will give you a 6 1/2" unfinished block, please use that and go ahead and get started.
    Jane

I'm interested too. Ill be watching this thread. If I do join, I might find it easier with paper off.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Mailing eight 6" (finished) blocks is like mailing two 12" (finished) blocks. I'm not going to pay as much postage as is required by the swap for such a few blocks. I usually send one 12" block by first class mail for a 2-ounce 70 cent stamp. That's $1.40 for two blocks... Or if the two blocks together in one envelope weigh less than 3 ounces, then it's 91 cents.

I do understand there are QB general rules to follow, so if the swap was approved with only one type of postal situation then that's that.

However, QB general rules do indicate to be inclusive to people with various skill levels. I prefer to let people paper piece any way that they are comfortable doing it. I've done the method of paper piecing that sewbizgirl describes. It's just as accurate as other ways and besides the benefits of no paper removing and less cost for paper and printer ink, there are also benefits of no needles dulled by sewing paper, no rotary blades dulled by cutting paper, less weight to mail, etc.

Sorry! I thought we would be doing sets, like we have done in the past-- so I'll bow out.

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    Jane, is this suitable for what you have in mind? It is a paper pieced pattern that indicates to use 4 of the pattern to make a 12" block-- so using one will make the 6" block. http://www.quilterscache.com/K/KaleidoscopeBlock.html

PS. Oh, it's a .gif file instead of a .pdf... How to print??
    Right click outside the pic and print should come up.. Or if you right click on the pic you can save the file and then print

Name:  DSCF3826.JPG
Views: 998
Size:  933.1 KBYea Jane, I was able to get my 1st 8 done. hope I have the right contrast for you. May be able to get a 2nd set of 8 done, but it'll have to wait. Off to baby sit.

WARNING.
    Make sure to measure the pattern after you print it. Mine came out small so I had to enlarge it. I had to increase it to 112% but that may not be the same for everyone.
    Stephanie.

hi Jane, it's been a while, I'd like to join in again. I also like the paper left on for stability. can we send a stamped envelope for return with our blocks? It will save on postage for those that have a problem with it.

Glasqlts - So glad to hear from you! At the moment, we're in a 'hold' mode; need to be sure we have enough people to participate, working out some details, etc. I'll definitely include you in the interest list.
    Jane

Based on the number of people who have replied and expressed some interest, we have 8 people ((provided all participate)).

Here's the problem we potentially face: if we, for example, decided on 4 sets (total of 32 blocks) and some people mail in 32 blocks and some people mail in 8 blocks, the swap would be very uneven; some people would get several blocks from the same swapper and possibly get some of their own blocks back. I don't think anyone wants that.

I would like to suggest a possible solution: if we all agree to the same number of sets - maybe 3 or 4 sets - then the swapping would work out much better and I think we would all be much happier.

RE: mailing/postage - I'm perfectly fine with swappers using whatever method of mailing & postage is most cost-effective for them as long as you make sure to take care of your return postage.

Thoughts??
    Jane

Since the blocks are not due till November 30, I'll be able to do more sets. Once I had all my triangles cut out to use, it went pretty fast. I really like this pattern, so I'll do 4 sets and wait to see what others say.

I would really like to take part but dont know if I will have time to do 32 blocks (leaving for Hawaii on honeymoon Friday)
    I really dont want to commit until a decision has been made about the papers.
    Last edited by Ukinusa; 10-18-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    Stephanie.

I am in (24 blocks to make!). I will start my blocks. I have no preference to paper on or off. Either works for me.
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

Since paper needs to be removed from all blocks eventually, you won't have more paper one way or the other. I would like the paper left on -- just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast