Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2018 March - June Wall Hanging Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2018-march-june-wall-hanging-swap-t295142.html)

ube quilting 06-18-2018 02:19 PM

Anna, this is a very nice Patriotic WHing. A few gold stars would be cool over the eagle. I wonder if 13 of them would fit, one over the bird and three in each dark blue corner.

I really like how you used these fabrics.
peace

ube quilting 06-18-2018 02:29 PM

I call it false trapunto. It is just an extra layer of batting added to the back of the motif area. Baste it in place and trim any extra batting close to the edge of the motif. Then add the full layer of batting for the whole top and backing. This gives the appearance of a raised area, like trapunto without the traditional work involved in doing it.

peace

Annaquilts 06-18-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 8078311)
I call it false trapunto. It is just an extra layer of batting added to the back of the motif area. Baste it in place and trim any extra batting close to the edge of the motif. Then add the full layer of batting for the whole top and backing. This gives the appearance of a raised area, like trapunto without the traditional work involved in doing it.

peace

Thank you for that explanation. If you decide to do it would you mind posting pictures of the steps. Would the bastig show on the front?

Annaquilts 06-18-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 8078305)
Anna, this is a very nice Patriotic WHing. A few gold stars would be cool over the eagle. I wonder if 13 of them would fit, one over the bird and three in each dark blue corner.

I really like how you used these fabrics.
peace

Thanks for the input. Time to play and see how it would look.

Annaquilts 06-20-2018 09:38 AM

Ready to be quilted

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I ended up adding. I also tried a star or several stars in addition but it just didn't look right. I am getting ready to quilt it.

SewingSew 06-20-2018 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 8079285)
This is what I ended up adding. I also tried a star or several stars in addition but it just didn't look right. I am getting ready to quilt it.

Very nicely done! I like what you chose to add to it.

Linny 06-21-2018 02:48 PM

Anna, Your Americana WH is so nice. The addition of the word "liberty" (esp.in red) brings your design together perfectly.

Linny 06-21-2018 02:58 PM

skaduzy, really like the WH you finished, especially the colors you used. It's really pretty.

Rumbols 06-21-2018 05:14 PM

Beautiful wall hangings. Love them all.

ube quilting 06-21-2018 05:17 PM

Anna, the Liberty quilt is wonderful.

My power has been out since Monday so I am a little late responding. Power came back on about two hours ago.

When you do the trapunto this way you echo quilt very close to the edge of the motif. The basting is pulled out after you are done. It just helps to hold everything in place while working on it.