Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2021-2022-2-5%94-birthday-swap-t313846.html)

WMUTeach 10-20-2021 01:16 PM

I am not in the contest but why not share my stories

1.What one food is a “must have” on your Thanksgiving table......Turkey and mashed potatoes with gravy ( I know not one food but my game, my exception to the rules. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png
2. What is the one “most hated” dish on the Thanksgiving table that seems to appears every year? Green bean casserole with those crunchy onion things on top.
3. Tell us a story of a Thanksgiving Oops! We have all had them. This is not my oops but I was there to experience it. My much loved brother who is a marvelous cook hosted Thanksgiving and one year he refused to have any of the traditional Thanksgiving fare. No mashed potatoes, not gravy, no braided cumin bead, no corn, no pumpkin soup, no venison, no jello salad, no cranberry relish, no olives and pickles. No, no, no. His children and their spouses and I secretly promised that we will never have such a non-traditional meal again.( We did have pumpkin pie and apple pie because a niece and I were just rebellious enough to bring them to this unusual Thanksgiving meal. A nephew now hosts the meal and it is traditional all the way.
4. In 25 words or less, just like those old cereal box contests, tell us what makes this holiday special to you and your family.
It is all about gathering with family and feasting and for "most" of my family the carrying on of traditions. Children at the table, telling stories, cleaning up the kitchen together and playing games all afternoon and into the evening. A true celebration of God's blessings on us all for the year.

Looking forward to your Thanksgiving stories!

hav4boys 10-21-2021 07:43 AM

1. What one food is a “must have” on your Thanksgiving table? Herbed Stuffing and gravy (they are one food in my book)
2. What is the one “most hated” dish on the Thanksgiving table that seems to appears every year? (cornbread stuffing - gag
3. Tell us a story of a Thanksgiving Oops! We have al had them. My good friend and I were making Thanksgiving dinner and she was bringing the turkey. When she got out of the car, the turkey fell and hit the ground. She started crying and I wanted to solve the problem. Picked the turkey up, put in on the platter and took it in the kitchen and gave it a good bath. This is the first time I have ever told the story and she swore me to secrecy but she is not longer with us.
4. In 25 words or less, just like those old cereal box contests, tell us what makes this holiday special to you and your family.
I love feeding my family and friends, the time of fellowship and games, and just enjoying being together. We always invite those that have no other family.

sewbizgirl 10-21-2021 09:30 AM

I love green bean casserole and cornbread stuffing! In the South, it's cornbread!

Cranberry jelly... not so much.

ibex94 10-23-2021 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Birthday, Barbara!!! I hope it was just as beautiful up there as it was down here today!!

ibex94 10-23-2021 03:17 PM

Thanksgiving Reflections

1. What one food is a “must have” on your Thanksgiving table? -- cranberry sauce
2. What is the one “most hated” dish on the Thanksgiving table that seems to appears every year? -- green bean casserole
3. Tell us a story of a Thanksgiving Oops! We have al had them. -- I am an awful cook. Too many dry turkeys in my history.
4. In 25 words or less, just like those old cereal box contests, tell us what makes this holiday special to you and your family. I like the prayer at the beginning of the meal, the table all decked out, overeating, and napping.

WMUTeach 10-23-2021 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Birthday, Barbara! Oh I hope your day was glorious. A little sun lighting up the beautiful leave against those blue gray clouds builds memories of a special birthday celebration for you.

WMUTeach 10-24-2021 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is last year's 2020 Birthday Swap sew-a-long finished. It has been sitting waiting for quilting since early this year. Taa-Daa! I also finished the last two blocks with this years birthday swap candies. I am thinking of snowballing the corners. Will post photo of the flimsy soon. All from stash! I did diminish the pink and purple collection of 2.5's https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images...es/biggrin.png

ibex94 10-24-2021 02:50 PM

Lovely! My grands fell in love with the candies. The two year old can't be left in the room alone with them because he pulls them all out of my color stacks and puts them into his own piles. I am trying to get him to learn colors using the candies. So much fun!

WMUTeach 10-24-2021 04:54 PM

ibex94, suggestion from the former preschool teacher here. Let him play! Now and again, ask him to put the ones that are alike together. I could go on and on. Don't worry about color names if he is just two. If he is getting closer to three then go for it. Name those colors What is really confusing for little ones learning colors is we generalize colors. We call navy blue, sky blue, florescent blue, blue jay blue, baby blue, aqua, turquoise, ocean blue, azul, blue gray, denim, colonial blue, bleue, and on and on all blue. It takes kiddos a while to figure cognitively and visually that there is a general color blue and lots of variations that also have the same name, blue. The same is true of green to a large extent. I used to sing with my three-year-old students Baa Baa Black Sheep have you any wool .. Then I would change it to red sheep, yellow sheep, turquoise sheep, fuchsia sheep, tan, violet, lavender, purple and on and on and I would use a little flip book I made with the colored sheep. They then had name for all of those variations of color. But these kiddos were three, not two. Just use the color squares and sing some silliness and name the general colors. Playing with the squares reminds me of playing in my mothers button box. What fun!

Loveofquilts 10-24-2021 05:57 PM

1. What one food is a “must have” on your Thanksgiving table? Turkey, it's so yummy!
2. What is the one “most hated” dish on the Thanksgiving table that seems to appears every year? Ambrosia, just never got used to it
3. Tell us a story of a Thanksgiving Oops! We have al had them. I was bringing the turkey for us to cook up for Thanksgiving. It was my first Thanksgiving as an adult. I brought the turkey fully frozen, not knowing it takes 2-3 days to thaw... needless to say, we had gumbo for Thanksgiving that year! They still tease me about it. It's all good. We lived in East Texas and used to eat a lot of Cajun food.
4. In 25 words or less, just like those old cereal box contests, tell us what makes this holiday special to you and your family. Being around family and talking is wonderful! As we get older and family passes on it is a big deal to see each other.