Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Anyone interested in an I Spy swap? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/anyone-interested-i-spy-swap-t322144.html)

bearisgray 01-04-2024 10:40 AM

It was annoying to get squares that were "just cut" without any attention to the placement of the design.

i have learned that some designs/patterns work well in a 5 inch square piece. Some do not.

You might want to specify if fabrics should be washed before cutting. I prefer washed.

Macybaby 01-04-2024 11:43 AM

I've got a lot of fabrics where the print is small enough that it won't matter how it's cut, there will still be several cats or pumpkins in the square. I've got others are big enough that you'll be lucky to get one complete motif unless you fussy cut. I also hate getting squares that have animals with their heads cut off on one side, and just heads on the other side.

I'd also like to know if others would have a motif size requirement - I've got some prints that are quite small, like less than an 1". It's easy to tell what it is up close, but not from a few feet away. I've not had any qualms about using them in quilts I make, but don't want to send them to others if they wouldn't want to use any small prints.

m-fay 01-04-2024 05:53 PM

Ok count me in but if postage to Australia is too expensive I quite understand and enjoy the fun of seeing others creations

QuiltingPandaBear 01-05-2024 09:30 AM

I’d like to join, if I can get guidance on ideal/acceptable prints. I want to make sure I have enough of what people want/can use. It’d be my first swap and I’m concerned about doing it wrong.

bkay 01-05-2024 04:25 PM

I'll post the rules as soon as I find out if there is an alternative to priority mail. The rules say the package you send has to be "trackable". I was going to check with the post office to see if there is any other mail that can be tracked. I haven't gotten it done, but my P.O. is open tomorrow.

Basically, the charm has to be exactly 5" X 5", it must contain a whole (complete) recognizable object (or complete multiple recognizable objects), it must be 100% quilt quality cotton. If I remember correctly, flowers are not allowed. I'm looking through some of mine, because I'm sure I will leave something out, but t can be an animal, a tree, a boat, a rocket, a food, an insect, flip flops, cars, socks, a bicycle,a safety pin, a fish, a ball, a balloon - it can be anything a child would recognize.

The fabric has to be washed, by the way.

bkay

bkay 01-05-2024 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay (Post 8630785)
Ok count me in but if postage to Australia is too expensive I quite understand and enjoy the fun of seeing others creations

I'm going to the P.O. tomorrow. The rules say that the package has to be trackable, so I'm going to ask if there is an alternative to Priority Mail that is trackable.

By the way, you pay postage both ways.

bkay

m-fay 01-05-2024 06:24 PM

Ok. I go to town on Tuesday end will find out how I go about sending money internationally.

m-fay 01-05-2024 07:05 PM

Ok. I go to town on Tuesday end will find out how I go about sending money internationally.

bkay 01-06-2024 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay (Post 8630913)

I checked. It will be about $20.00 U.S. for me to send a pound of something to Australia. I have no way of knowing how much it will cost for you to send it to me. You have to ask there. My zip code is 75228. I'm in Dallas, Texas.

Even though it will be fun to participate, it seems expensive to me.

You are very welcome to participate. I'll do my best to accommodate.

bkay

mpepperm37 01-07-2024 12:00 PM

I've never done this before, but sounds interesting. When/how is the "theme" determined?
Thanks.