Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/august-scrappy-block-swap-%96-scrappy-trips-t251209.html)

Quilt Lover Grandma 08-06-2014 07:15 AM

I hate to admit it but I forget how to PM again. But I want to sign up for 6 sets of the scrappy blocks. Please tell me how to do it again. Sorry!

Janice McC 08-06-2014 09:41 AM

I'm in! Something new and scrappy for me...what more can I ask for? I'm going to have a little time starting Monday to make some blocks so I hope to get the hang of it. Anyone who has made these blocks before, please share any tips. Thanks for coordinating this, Jane. I look forward to the swap!

Janice McC 08-06-2014 09:43 AM

QLG, just find a post by our fearless leader, like #15, click on her name on the left, and a selection of options will come up. one of them will be to send a private message. Click it and the form will show up. hope that helps!

Originally Posted by Quilt Lover Grandma (Post 6834340)
I hate to admit it but I forget how to PM again. But I want to sign up for 6 sets of the scrappy blocks. Please tell me how to do it again. Sorry!

moonrise 08-06-2014 12:02 PM

I really like the look of these, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to participate. I've been bottle-feeding an abandoned kitten that was found by my doorstep as a newborn a little over two weeks ago. He's doing great, and has gone from 2.95 ounces to 9.5 ounces so far! :) As you can imagine, the little darling is taking up pretty much all of my spare time, but he's worth it. :)

I'll see how quickly I can put a sample block together, and will let you know in a day or two. :)

jaba 08-06-2014 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just closed my eyes, grabbed a piece of fabric and started on my "trip around the world". Got 3 sets done. Janice, I found that if I cut the 2 1/2" strips just a smidgen (like the width of a line on your ruler)wider they come out with maybe an eight of an inch or so to trim. [ATTACH=CONFIG]486556[/ATTACH]

moonrise 08-06-2014 02:37 PM

Those are GORGEOUS! :thumbup:

Janice McC 08-06-2014 02:47 PM

Love the blocks and thanks for the tip, Jaba. I might try to get at least one cut and sewn tonight as I've got a rare night with nothing to do except walk the dogs when it cools off enough.

Originally Posted by jaba (Post 6834874)
I just closed my eyes, grabbed a piece of fabric and started on my "trip around the world". Got 3 sets done. Janice, I found that if I cut the 2 1/2" strips just a smidgen (like the width of a line on your ruler)wider they come out with maybe an eight of an inch or so to trim. [ATTACH=CONFIG]486556[/ATTACH]

jaba 08-06-2014 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went downstairs and took a pic for you..Notice the 2 1/2" line, I just made sure I could see the fabric on the other side of that line instead of right on top of it, cut the strips the same way. Hope this makes sense, when I didn't do that the blocks were 1/4" short. Thanks heavens I checked after 1 block for a change....[ATTACH=CONFIG]486557[/ATTACH]

Gannyrosie 08-06-2014 04:06 PM

Jaba, I cut mine already and did the 2.5, but I went very scant. A 5 on my janome. Then I realize I had just too much to cut off. So that meant to me that i would be short when connected. So then I went to a 4.5 and it leave me not too much to cut off. My issue is if all the blocks are to be 2.5 and I square off too much, then the outside blocks wont be 2" when connected. I did 4 so far. One with the too too scant and the rest with scant. Now I need to order a 12.5 inch square ruller. Cause I found trying to put 2 together just wasn't working. So I'll order it at end of month when have some extra cash and get them all squared up to send in sept. Jaba, I like the scrappy look. I thought of putting some coordinated ( which I did), but the uncoordinated looks better. Well 5 more sets to go.

Janice McC 08-06-2014 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jaba, that's exactly what I did. I cut both the strips and the rows just a hair wider than 2 1/2 inches. Here's the unfinished result:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486559[/ATTACH]
I haven't sewn them together but each row is just a hair larger than 12 1/2 inches after I separated them. BTW, they are draped over my computer, not on a flat surface, so they really aren't as wonky as they appear. I'll sew them together later and pray the size is right. Question, are these colors along the right line? Scrappy enough, i mean? I'd certainly never put them together otherwise!

Originally Posted by jaba (Post 6834958)
Went downstairs and took a pic for you..Notice the 2 1/2" line, I just made sure I could see the fabric on the other side of that line instead of right on top of it, cut the strips the same way. Hope this makes sense, when I didn't do that the blocks were 1/4" short. Thanks heavens I checked after 1 block for a change....[ATTACH=CONFIG]486557[/ATTACH]