Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/birthday-swap-2017-2018-sign-up-t285320.html)

barbarakibler23 05-15-2017 07:49 PM

This does look like a great idea for you travelinggramma. We you be coming to Michigan anytime soon. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by travelinggramma (Post 7823443)
moonrise - I like your idea - especially since you really get to know each of us and a reminder of what was sent (via photo - if your like me, I forget easily!) I may try this but on a smaller scale....will see
Thanks for showing the photos.
I like the rock idea - I have made and distributed the hearts www.ifoundaquiltedheart.com but people don't always know that they can take them. Those rocks I can make with grands and let them place them. Great !!

barbarakibler23 05-15-2017 07:55 PM

Travelinggramma...I checked out the website for the "quilted hearts" did you go and look to see if any of your hearts have been posted?

This is a cute idea as well. busy busy busy.

Originally Posted by travelinggramma (Post 7823443)
moonrise - I like your idea - especially since you really get to know each of us and a reminder of what was sent (via photo - if your like me, I forget easily!) I may try this but on a smaller scale....will see
Thanks for showing the photos.
I like the rock idea - I have made and distributed the hearts www.ifoundaquiltedheart.com but people don't always know that they can take them. Those rocks I can make with grands and let them place them. Great !!

barbarakibler23 05-15-2017 08:00 PM

so how where the brownies DJ??? I have never heard of D. Pepper brownies before. I guess I am sheltered!:shock:

Also happy dance for you and your new computer! It is amazing how dependent we have all become on our computers.

Originally Posted by djmat (Post 7823966)
Oh forgot mention dd made dr. Pepper brownies so my diet is off today.
hugs
dj

barbarakibler23 05-15-2017 08:05 PM

I vote 5" squares as well. so what color are you going to start off with????

moonrise 05-15-2017 08:12 PM

Getting caught up! :)

hav4boys - Lovely bag! :thumbup:

travelinggramma - Oh, I LOVE those quilted hearts! That's an awesome idea, too. Thanks for posting the link!

Jane Quilter - Our bed is queen-size, so I'll probably make a queen-size quilt and a throw with the Arkansas Crossroads squares. :)

DJMat - Yay about the new computer! :) We've got to get a new one for DH. The motherboard in his laptop bit the dust, and it's not worth repairing. Bummer.

redstilletos - I'd prefer 5" as well. When would the color be decided? If it's neutrals, I'm definitely in! I never seem to have enough neutrals for some reason. :)

barbara - A lot of our travels will be along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm not sure yet if we'll travel the whole thing or just part of it. It's 400+ miles long, which isn't all that far (we'll have 10 days), but I'm sure we'll be stopping often to take in the scenery, have a picnic, and take pictures (yet another hobby). And leave painted rocks, of course. :D

moonrise 05-15-2017 08:38 PM

barbara - I almost forgot. If you buy the rocks at a craft store, chances are, they'll have a waxy coating on them. Unfortunately I didn't realize this. I did notice that my regular craft paints wouldn't stick, though. Hmmm. After painting them with a multi-surface craft paint, which has to be baked for 30 minutes if it's on slicker surfaces like glass, my oven started pouring smoke. The waxy coating was melting off! Eeek! :shock: I looked it up, and supposedly the rocks can be boiled to remove the coating. I haven't tried it yet, but I read that you should put the rocks into the water while it's cold, so the rocks aren't "shocked" by the sudden temperature change, which can break them.

Next time I'm going to try to find some natural (uncoated) rocks! :) Lowes or Home Depot may have some in their garden department. I'll have to look next time we're in there.

JuanitaBean 05-15-2017 09:10 PM

I vote for 5" sq.

djmat 05-15-2017 10:31 PM

Tried to get hubby to take the Cherry dr. Pepper Brownies back to the base but he forgot or wanted to leave them for me. They are yummie but I may need to freeze (look I typed a "z"!!!) them so get back on my diet.
Reviewed my rock collection to inspire me to paint some, but they are from other continents & US states & I cannot bare to part with them. My favs are from the petrified forest north of Jackson, MS, Phuket, Thailand, Alaska & Hawaii, Saudi Arabia & Bahrain! Maybe I'll take the school kids project & turn it into something for my flower beds, thanks for posting the project!
Will need to forego the 5" swap, inundated here with projects, this is my UFO year & almost 1/2 way over with not much to show for my efforts! Life is in my way right now. Hurry up & wait gnawing at me!
hugs,
dj

Jane Quilter 05-16-2017 03:05 AM

i vote for 5" square swap.....never swapped that size.......if you do by color, i'd have to skip some swaps, because I don't have all colors.

redstilettos 05-16-2017 06:01 AM

those rocks are simply amazing. I had no idea about the waxy coating. I had to laugh about the smoke....I think that would be me.....looking at the stove and going....how can I be burning ROCKS! LOL

I'd like to try this some time. They would make really neat stocking stuffers for the coworkers!