Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boomerang Friendship Swap 8.0 Now closed for Signups (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boomerang-friendship-swap-8-0-now-closed-signups-t195697.html)

sapdoggie 07-30-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by kensington (Post 5406330)
Elisabrat,
Here you go... these are my "Practice" Blocks... I made one more today. LOL. I'm trying to use all the same fabrics so I can use them in a gift. I just wanted to get that seam allowance down and check points on these blocks for accuracy and of course for ease piecing.

http://i48.tinypic.com/294jalv.jpg

Great looking "practice " You can practice for me anytime :thumbup:

Pink Lady 07-30-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat (Post 5405612)
Kensington, I think you should share your little project with us :) I am sitting here waiting on go! I dont have a current project, not enough of fabric I love to make something with. My sis gave me a huge bin of her fabric. its a lot of pale rose, pastel stuff and well its summer I want to do fun and bright and dunno. In a slump perhaps. Here is a sample block I made last night testing your theory of the move it to the right Kensington. It worked perfectly. This is another gift of fabric that I truthfully hated. Way too many bugs. However never one to toss fabric as I dont have much and its pretty darned expensive I cut it and well, its not too bad this way. The purple came out washed in these photos it is much brighter and the cream shows so bright and its definetely more subtle. Does it get rid of enough bugs this way? I would love feed back. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I love this fabric and your block is very nice. Just goes to show what one person hates someone else will love:)

Picked up my fabric today

kensington 07-30-2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by sapdoggie (Post 5406352)
Great looking "practice " You can practice for me anytime :thumbup:

ROZTFLOL... Hahaha... I was just looking at that picture, thinking I needed to press that bottom left block better. It's not as flat. Thank you for the vote of confidence!

moonwork42029 07-30-2012 01:10 PM

Kensington -- Your blocks look great and I love the colors.

No need to send other fabrics...everyone sends the fat 1/8th and it's up to the receiver to use their fabric to make the rest of the block with. That way everyone has the same amount to work with and everyone sends out the same amount.

I LOVED when I got a note attached that indicated --
What color scheme they were heading for (some only wanted "whites / creams or certain colors used in their blocks -- I asked to use just the colors in the fabric-- nothing clashing) or if it was a truly an "up to you".

Top to be used for (Male, Female, Child, Teen, Charity, etc)...helped to decide on block to make -- Didn't want to send a "kitty" for a tough guy :)

The notes that includes their full name, board name and mailing address were even better in case the envelope got separated.

You'll love the spreadsheet that April sends with your names -- it has everything you need to track your progress! I also took pictures of the fabrics and put them in the list too as an easy reference for me (but I'm weird) along with pictures of the blocks I made for them and the blocks I received from them.

ssnare 07-30-2012 01:24 PM

I thought I had posted on here. But, I can't find it. I am in for a small group. I just got out of the hospital with stomach inflamation and a urinary tract infection. I am glad to be home.

marytoddliz 07-30-2012 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare (Post 5406461)
I thought I had posted on here. But, I can't find it. I am in for a small group. I just got out of the hospital with stomach inflamation and a urinary tract infection. I am glad to be home.

Sending prayers your way, glad to hear you are feeling better, and there is nothing like a good swap to put you right back on track!

marytoddliz 07-30-2012 03:06 PM

I love your practice blocks Kensington, they are very nice! I made a lap quilt with my practice blocks, but I always have a few blocks waiting to be made into a quilt top.

I really like the letters with the F8, it helps tell you a little about who you are swapping with and what they would like. And adding a address label to your finished block really helps too.

marcialee 07-30-2012 04:32 PM

very nice blocks. you will enjoy this swap. I go thru my books as I open an envelope and find what I feel matches the fabric they sent and then find the fabric to coordinate with theirs(the best that I can). I love getting notes from people, even tho I don't tend to do that. I don't usually make the same block twice unless I am getting behind and want to push a few out. I love this swap and can't wait to start again.

LovingIzabella 07-30-2012 06:22 PM

Beautiful practice blocks! I am working through more PMs now :)
Hugs
April

Elisabrat 07-30-2012 08:04 PM

April, was thinking of you today while listening to an old Kenny Loggins song Isabella's Eyes. I almost named my little girl Isabella. It came down to that or Genavieve and her dad went for the traditional more I guess. I think they are both beautiful names :) and from the pic, both are beautiful girls too. Only mine is a tad larger by a whole bunch of years. She turns 21 in just over a week. College, Army, Culinary school.. look what you have to look forward too. Start selling those quilts NOW kids are expensive!
Kensington, your quilt blocks are very beautiful. Soothing colors. Love it!

oh yeah and April, thanks for doing all this I imagine matching partners is a bit harder too. Do you randomly pick groups or do you do it by skill levels? curiosity makes me ask. A crazy job maintaining all that without going nuts.