Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/dear-jane-christmas-block-swap-closed-t23731.html)

kluedesigns 08-06-2009 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by STAR
Oh forgot to ask about my material. I have several that i am looking at and one of my christmas prints has white in it along with gold and biege is this allowed?? or no bright white at all? Thanx

we're trying to stay away from true bright white.

you should double check the white in your fabric i'm thinking its actually 1 shade above bright white like an eggshell.

i thought the fabric i purchased for the Jan Jane was red & white and when i got it home and compared it to my kona white fabric i discovered its just 1 small shade darker than bright white.

kluedesigns 08-06-2009 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by KGoodhand
I have been following this thread and I so want to be included!
I figure if they don't need to be done right away....oh mark me down for C12. If all goes well I will get them done earlier then I think! I just have to get a couple other things done first! (Like my centers for IRR!!!)
Kendra

don't worry - you can always pull an "all nighter" like when we were in college.

kluedesigns 08-06-2009 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

since you sew by machine you can strip piece this to make all the same block.

i've attached a pic so you can see which section i'm talking about easier.

cut 2 strips of the red fabric 1 inch by the width of the fabric
cut 1 strip of the gold fabric 1 inch by the width of the fabric.

now sew the 3 strips together with the gold fabric in the middle.

now press the strip set.

now you will cut the strip set every 2 inches - basically you're cutting 2 inch squares. you'll need 4 per block so 72 for all 18 blocks.

from the green fabric you cut 2 inch squares you need 4 per block so 72 for all 18 blocks.

once you have the pieces all cut out you can sew the rows (1,2,3) and then when you have all of those you can sew the 3 rows to each other to finish the block.

when pressing the rows before sewing them to each other press the seams out on rows 1 & 3 and press the seams in on row 2.

this way when go to sew the rows to each other the seams will nest with each other and help you match the seam lines.

is it clear? do you have any questions?

don't make these cuts yet - i think the math is wrong. let me double check and i'll let you know.

i think these measurements will yield a 4.5 unfinished block.

ok, the math is right!

when i was drifting off to sleep last night i started to wonder is the math correct.

reneebobby 08-06-2009 05:19 AM

This sounds like it would be fun but i smoke, so I'll watch.

crkathleen 08-06-2009 05:26 AM

Thanks Klue, That was perfect!

kluedesigns 08-06-2009 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by crkathleen

you should be able to bang these blocks out in 2 -3 hours - so there's plenty of time to do 2 and make yourself a throw.

KGoodhand 08-06-2009 05:38 AM

you should be able to bang these blocks out in 2 -3 hours - so there's plenty of time to do 2 and make yourself a throw.

You make that sound so easy Klue!!!
I can only hope to get them done as quickly! I guess maybe once you sit and get to work! I will have to wait and see!
Kendra

kluedesigns 08-06-2009 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by KGoodhand

You make that sound so easy Klue!!!
I can only hope to get them done as quickly! I guess maybe once you sit and get to work! I will have to wait and see!
Kendra

if you pick a block that can be striped pieced it really is easy. when you do an entire jane you can't strip piece because you need 1 of each block.

since we're doing 18 of 1 block you can strip piece if you are a machine sewer - so anything based on a 9 patch can be banged out.

JoanneS 08-06-2009 06:54 AM

I'm going to have to get busy and sew my blocks - I was 'mind' sewing last night instead of sleeping LOL

kluedesigns 08-06-2009 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
I'm going to have to get busy and sew my blocks - I was 'mind' sewing last night instead of sleeping LOL

LMAO

i do that too!