Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   I Spy Swap with a Twist Dead Line to Join is Oct 31, 2013 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/i-spy-swap-twist-dead-line-join-oct-31-2013-a-t232167.html)

Library.Lil 10-24-2013 08:10 AM

I agree with you 100% yonnikka! So glad you decided to join! I like lots of different things in my I Spy quilts and I like lots of different styles--cartoonish animals and more realistic ones, a variety of colors, objects and prints that might seem to be boyish and girlish, etc.

Love those prints, especially the postage stamps!

marcialee 10-24-2013 10:11 AM

I am in. First time in this swap. Sounds like fun. I have made several I Spy quilts for kids of all ages and I use almost anything.

marybrace 10-24-2013 12:37 PM

They're on their way.....

charlotte37830 10-24-2013 12:40 PM

Susan Sendt and marybrace - Thanks. I will be watching for it.

charlotte37830 10-24-2013 12:42 PM

Welcome. Glad you joined in the swap.

Originally Posted by marcialee (Post 6366147)
I am in. First time in this swap. Sounds like fun. I have made several I Spy quilts for kids of all ages and I use almost anything.

charlotte37830 10-24-2013 12:42 PM

thyme2quilt - I received your package today. Thanks.

thyme2quilt 10-24-2013 02:56 PM

Happy to hear it arrived:)

charp 10-25-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka (Post 6365149)
I feel chatty. I'd like to tell why my fabrics for this Swap are not specifically"Juvenile" or 'Childrens' Prints.' When I look at the "childrens" designs, they tend to shout "BOY" or "GIRL" or sometimes "GIRLY-GIRL". Or, they may be more for infants such as rubber duckie, baby rattles, diaper pins, etc. For me, that means that they are too ultra-specific and not appropriate for a 5-year old. I believe that an I Spy quilt is, or can be, more of a Word-learning game, a Vocabulary building, and possibly a Spelling lesson, when words are incorporated into the design of your quilt. If I feed a child a strawberry, shouldn't it look like a real strawberry? Children are eager to learn new challenging things, not stereotypic kiddie stuff that they learned already two years previously... they are headed into a real world, which needs to be identified and dealt with, one bit at a time. For these reasons, I tend to put in recognizable items that are beautiful, rather than too childlike. I like things like seashells that can appeal to either boys or girls.

I love your selections, and I agree, the stuff for children is not as fun. And, more realistic depictions make the quilt a bit more timeless and usable to the child for more years.

charlotte37830 10-25-2013 04:30 PM

I received packages today from frizzymama13, SusanSendt and Marcia D. Thanks ladies. Marcia D I sent you a pm.

catpawski 10-25-2013 05:49 PM

Charlotte..........I bet you can't guess what got mailed today...........and mailing it is such a pleasure.........since the little post office is in a little store that sells fresh vegetables and baked items.......the treat is the free samples at the counter..........boy are those cookies yummmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..............