Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   March “Quilty Madness” Oh Sew Sweet ‘CANDY’ 2.5" swap!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/march-%93quilty-madness%94-oh-sew-sweet-%91candy%92-2-5-swap-t259668.html)

djmat 04-16-2015 11:00 PM

Sheri, I will use all of the dups that arrived. No sense in sending them out in a swap & have someone else get the same dups, so don't worry about it. I use all of the charms I receive in several different projects & need more all the time. Will be in the Curious Quilter swap that began signups on Tuesday. Mail to individuals in lieu of a cool host like you, but it's international so you can acquire some really neat charms. Oh, they swap 100 different charm per set. I've seen several Quilting Board members there, too. Newbies to CQ get 50 free charms & don't have to swap anything!
Just sayin'.
hugs,
dj

Honchey 04-17-2015 05:59 AM

When you press it to the corner , you mean open & press the HST then trim the inside little triangle & discard..?

Cre8tvlwyr 04-17-2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 7167540)
When you press it to the corner , you mean open & press the HST then trim the inside little triangle & discard..?

To make HST that are 2 1/2" unfinished - so you end up with HSTs the same size as your 2 1/2" candies (and decrease the amount of waste) ...

take 2 - candies - right sides together for your HST
Draw one diagonal line corner-to-corner, and another a "scant" (less than) 1/2" to one side of the diagonal.
Stitch on both drawn lines, cut down the middle between your sewing lines

Result: 1 HST the size of your candies
1 HST approximately 1 3/4" square - these will finish 1 1/4"

By sewing the two lines first before you cut, your fabrics will stay flat and not get too wonky so you will have actual squares.
Yes that other square is small, but certainly not unmanageable - a string of them will make a beautiful border all the way around a quilt that uses the candies..... and no waste!:D
Gus

kele 04-17-2015 09:00 AM

I forgot to post when I received my squares - so, so sorry, they are great! Thanks to everyone and especially to SheriR. Including an extra from everyone was a fun idea!

sewbizgirl 04-17-2015 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey (Post 7167540)

Yes! But before cutting anything off I press-- using the corner of the bottom square to 'square up' the top hst. Once I have that pressed I can cut away the two excess triangle layers, leaving the 1/4" seam allowance.

I do that whenever I add corners on blocks too, like for snowball blocks. Use the original corner to square up the new corner. Sometimes I only cut away the middle layer, leaving the original bottom piece there.

geneasmartie 04-17-2015 05:01 PM

Hey Everyone, I got a square of pepsi fabric form someone. I am trying to find were they/you got it. if anyone know please PM me thanks.

Lauren

Honchey 04-17-2015 05:44 PM

Thanks Ladies, I really appreciate the responses..now I feel better about using the candies for the hst's..