Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   March 2011 Doll Quilt Swap (Red & White Theme) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/march-2011-doll-quilt-swap-red-white-theme-t101637.html)

oksewglad 03-02-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
Ok just stop!!! Your making me look bad! LOL, My quilt is still all in my head. I have a plan, I have materials.... Now stop rushing me!
Ok, done being silly.
Do any of you have tips for applique? Like if I am stiching the edges with a tight zig zag do i still need to fold the fabric under?

Well now that I have my top done, I like to let it "simmer" on the design wall as the quilting takes form in my head. Sometimes it takes days, weeks and even months on a little quilt. Don't worry 978gray--you will get it before EOM:D

Chele 03-02-2011 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Use whatever batting (or flannel) you'd like. We run a loose ship on this doll quilt swap! No hard rules and definitely no quilt police here. It all about being creative and having fun. ;)

Look at the pretty selvage brooch Dotty (dotcomdtcm) made for me. I love sewing with selvages! I think I have Dotty hooked on them too!

SewExtremeSeams 03-02-2011 02:43 PM

Cool idea Dotty! :-D

quilt queen 2 03-02-2011 10:25 PM

Ok just stop!!! Your making me look bad! LOL, My quilt is still all in my head. I have a plan, I have materials.... Now stop rushing me!
Ok, done being silly.
Do any of you have tips for applique? Like if I am stiching the edges with a tight zig zag do i still need to fold the fabric under?

I usually baste it on freezer paper iron the edges crisp then take out basting. Attach applique with glue stick then use a blanket or small zig zag to attach. This is the only way I can get my applique to look decent some other way may work for you.

letsquilt 03-03-2011 05:52 AM

I use a small zigzag no folding under. I have one top finished and need to do the other one but wanting so bad to keep the first one since I collect red/white quilts.Guess I will be making an extra one for me.

CloverPatch 03-03-2011 07:32 AM

I ended up getting "wonder-under", Left about 1/4 of fabric from the glue, and did the zig zag all around. I got the applique part done. I love it, Im so proud of myself. And right now don't want to give it up! Might end up making two as well. Its got red, its got white, but not one of those red/white that was pictured. I hope my partner likes it!

978gray 03-03-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Ok, done being silly.

Well now that I have my top done, I like to let it "simmer" on the design wall as the quilting takes form in my head. Sometimes it takes days, weeks and even months on a little quilt. Don't worry 978gray--you will get it before EOM:D

Can't wait. Still plotting and planning yours....Hopefully I'll have Sunday to myself!!!

hobbykat1955 03-03-2011 01:23 PM

Put my binding on today...Love how it all came out...Hope my swap partner loves it too....So tonight I'll hand sew the rest of the binding on. I'm also going to make another for myself. Never thought abt ever doing "doll quilts" before...thanks for the idea...and my first doll quilt. Hope to join again when and if you do this.

Nancy in Louisiana 03-03-2011 04:16 PM

What -- no one's finished theirs yet? Come on -- we need pictures!!!

hobbykat1955 03-03-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
What -- no one's finished theirs yet? Come on -- we need pictures!!!

Since I've never done this swap before...wouldn't that spoil the surprise to your partner whom you are mailing too?