Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   MARCH PATRIOTIC DISAPPEARING FOUR PATCH swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/march-patriotic-disappearing-four-patch-swap-t242296.html)

jclinganrey 03-04-2014 07:57 PM

Here's our update:

1. Boop56
2. Happylab – 6 sets
3. Glasqlts – 2 sets
4. Jaba – 6 sets
5. Grannyrosie – 4 sets
6. MizMelly – 6 sets

Yippee!!

Jane

MizMelly 03-05-2014 07:37 AM

Yeah!! I'm in!!! and I tried out this pattern last night since I had precut 5" blocks. What I learned is that the 5" blocks should be cut at 5.5" before stitching. I have a beautiful block, but it's exactly 8" finished. Glad I practiced before starting on the exchange blocks! Are there any finished tops out there that show layouts? Thanks!

jclinganrey 03-08-2014 05:26 PM

MizMelly - good that you found out now, right??

To all our swappers - please be sure the back of your quilt blocks look almost as good as the front. The Quilt Police have reported some instances where the pressing need some real attention. They've also gotten reports that not all the quilt blocks are truly squared up and that the host had to actually square up some blocks! Can you imagine that???

Any questions - let me know!

Jane

jclinganrey 03-09-2014 12:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
MizMelly -

Here are some possible layouts:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466349[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466350[/ATTACH]
Hope that gives you some ideas!

Jane

Gannyrosie 03-09-2014 05:50 AM

Oh please let me know if I did something wrong on any block. There will be no hard feelings. I need all the expertise help I can get. I have never taken sewing or quilting class's and I know there are some little things that need to be done to make it right. When you say not pressed correctly, can you be specific as to what was done and what should be done. You don't have to state names, but us newbies would like all the constructive criticism we can get. I know I have to make the mistakes to learn. Thanks Jane for any input you're the Bomb.

MizMelly 03-09-2014 08:00 AM

Thanks Jane! Glad you showed some layout ideas. I'm definitely going to do an on-point layout! It's gorgeous!! Yep, I can be a little slow sometimes, all the instructions I found were for 5" blocks to start. Now I know I'm not good at math, but give me a calculator and some fabric and I'm a whiz! I especially enjoyed watching the youtube video from Missouri Star too. Sometimes I am a visual learner.....
And this morning I pulled out my cutting board that is mounted on a turntable. However, today I have to finish piecing a quilt for my mom, so I'll start my blocks tomorrow. It's Spring Break and I have a week of glorious sewing ahead of me! Yeah!!!

jclinganrey 03-09-2014 09:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie (Post 6616883)
Oh please let me know if I did something wrong on any block. There will be no hard feelings. I need all the expertise help I can get. I have never taken sewing or quilting class's and I know there are some little things that need to be done to make it right. When you say not pressed correctly, can you be specific as to what was done and what should be done. You don't have to state names, but us newbies would like all the constructive criticism we can get. I know I have to make the mistakes to learn. Thanks Jane for any input you're the Bomb.

No, no no! No problems with your quilt blocks. I'm simply trying to address some things that I have noticed and that have been brought to my attention from other swappers. These were problems I had when I started out too (and sometimes still have issues!). Here are some examples:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466385[/ATTACH]
this needs some attention with pressing and squaring up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466387[/ATTACH]
Also needs attention.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466388[/ATTACH]
Good example

Hope these examples are helpful.

Jane

jclinganrey 03-09-2014 10:06 AM

MizMelly -

The same thing happened to me when I made my first D4P quilt block. I cut my 5" squares, made my quilt block and, ta da! - - - it was less than 8 1/2" unfinished. I made my next one with 5 1/4" squares and problem solved.

Enjoy your Spring break! Have fun!

Jane

jaba 03-09-2014 05:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mailing my Patriotic tomorrow, so will post for all to see what I am sending. Also finished the civil war fabric and love the way it turned out...here they are too. Hope all of you like my choices in case you receive one
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466458[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]466459[/ATTACH]

MizMelly 03-09-2014 05:22 PM

Beautiful blocks, Jaba! I hope I score one or two. I'm pretty sure that no one will have the same fabrics that I have, my patriotic fabrics were purchased more than a few years ago, and since I just got my stash organized, I went "shopping" and found 6 patriotic prints! Yeah!! And I have yards and yards of solid white fabric too. All it takes is a bit of organization and Voila! Look what surfaced!