Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   March Secret Pal Swap - Sign Up Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/march-secret-pal-swap-sign-up-closed-t97184.html)

barefoot quilter 02-23-2011 02:26 PM

that would be too cool to go to ireland my family is from there love to look at all the land so beautifull i wanta to gooooo

lawsonmugs 02-23-2011 02:47 PM

wow you shop in Ireland and washington I'm just shoppig right here in missouri. Have a fun and safe trip both of you.

hoppa 02-23-2011 05:08 PM

wishing you both safe travels. I will wait wth anticipation who my partner is but did start shopping.

Jeff

FQ Stash Queen 02-23-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Creative Seamstress

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I've seen some of the wonderful swap items and can't for the life of me figure out how they come up with so much for $10. Seems like everything around here is pretty costly quilting wise.

How do you score such treats?

I would hate to be the sender and have just a couple little items because of that...any ideas would be greatly appreciated so I wouldn't shortchange anyone.

Thanks

Everyone has their own formula, but for me, 1/2 of my gift is always from my own overall stash of craft related items, and/or things I've made and the other 1/2 come from shopping with the designated $10 budget at places like Joann's and Hancocks where I use coupons and my VIP discount which usually gives me at least 50-60% off the items i'm purchasing which allows me to buy more items.

Also, I always check out the clearance aisle at any store I'm at case there is anything that fits the bill of my buddy's desired items, as you can never beat a good deal! I always try to personalize things in as special a way as possibly I can, and just by making the right cost conscious selections while shopping, perusing your stash and a touch of creativity - anyone can come up with a pretty nice selection!

So - bottomline is - don't worry about it, it's all for fun anyways. The only way anyone would be offended is if you mailed a single 1/2 inch jelly bean and that was it to the entire package. Clearly that didn't cost $10, LOL. However - if you manage to find a 3 lb jelly belly, than that's okay! Just have fun and do what it is you can. Something small and heartfelt can mean more than and speak volumes that a box chock full of a million things. We are all in the same boat with the economy, and the budget for this swap fits just right in line with that. It's just meant to be a fun and inspiring experience for all of us - as often the packages come just when they are needed during the course of our lives during the given gift month. I hope this inspires you to join us!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress

Absolutely agree. Have to send half from my stash in order to make a good package, and I have plenty of stash. Catch coupon sales and 10% of guild at JoAnn's and hit the $1 bins for cute items with initials, etc. The object is to have fun with it. If it's a chore or you have to worry about it, then all the fun is gone.

God Bless, Cherie

FQ Stash Queen 02-23-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs
wow you shop in Ireland and washington I'm just shoppig right here in missouri. Have a fun and safe trip both of you.

Missouri has some of the best LQS in the country. I travel the U.S. with my husband for a living, so I should know. First 3 things to find in any town: grocery store (usually Walmart), laundramat (but now I have a w/d in my motorhome) and the LQS. I usually pick a day when I know my DH will be busy and off I go. What fun. And MO. has some of the kindest, warmhearted, down to earth people in the U.S. I look forward to our 5-6 weeks there every summer.

FQ Stash Queen 02-23-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by creativesheila
I used to have a booth at quilt shows around the country I can't do that anymore so I have a lot of stuff left over. I have sent those things, calculating at what I paid. Is that okay?

Most of us use stuff from our stash and don't count it at all. If you already have it, it's up to you. We save the $10 for bargains or cute things we don't have. About half my package is stash. If you choose to do it the way you are, that's perfectly fine. The object is to have fun.

FQ Stash Queen 02-23-2011 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Bye everyone... see you next week. I'm going to Kilkenny to do some shopping for our March swap! Yup, that's Kilkenny Ireland. Oh, I'm going to check out a quilt shop in Dublin too :) Wanna be my partner next month? LOL

Wow!! Have lots of fun!!

My son and his wife honeymooned there, as well as Paris and England last April. Ireland was definitely their favorite. Hope you enjoy it as much as they did.

SuzanneTx 02-24-2011 08:11 AM

Good Morning swappers.

We have 169 people signed up for March. I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

If you have any question about being signed up, just go to this link -------------->http://www.quiltingboard.com/group_a...sp?gracnum=114 and make sure your name is there. You can also go to the home page and look in the lower left side and click on the March Secret Pal Swap link and look at it from there.

With it being near spring, I'm not here as much. Too much going on with a garden and now raising some guinea chicks and getting our emergency preparedness stuff in order (we are prone to tornadoes here).

Be on the look out for names come Sunday. I will be starting at the bottom of the alphabet and going up. You will get a private message with a link to the one I just posted and it will have your swap pals name beside yours.

Have an awesome day!
Suzanne

shamrock 02-24-2011 09:06 AM

I could never find a quilt shop in Ireland. Found a beautiful needlework shop in Dublin once, was gone the next time I went. Could buy yarn & buttons, loved picking buttons out of the little boxes, but no fabric. Happy to hear that they are taking quilting more seriously.

lawsonmugs 02-24-2011 09:44 AM

Cherie glad you enjoy missouri. I love it here. I believe missouri is very friendly also .Yes we have quilt shops here. lots of them,just not close to me. I'm way out in the country and nearest shop is almost 40 miles one way.But I do enjoy going to them now and then.Enjoy your vacation time here. Mary