Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Modern Mini Quilt swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/modern-mini-quilt-swap-t189175.html)

jaciqltznok 05-28-2012 12:20 PM

ok, so are we to do something along the "modern quilt" group looks or just any "art" quilt...they are two different looks entirely!

this is what the Modern quilt group page used to define a "modern" quilt
http://themodernquiltguild.com/about-2/

Linny 05-28-2012 01:36 PM

Linda, I'm trying to go back in memory to who it was on the board that introduced this technique. It was a picture of a pear and the sharpie was used directly on the fabric, then alcohol was rubbed on to create a bleeding effect. I will research more, but she was very good at it and the results were so pretty. I'm not as confident so am using a q-tip dipped in the alcohol, then sharpie applied to q-tip. It's just more subtle that way. I'll let you know, but I remember looking it up on the board and finding info so maybe it's still there.

Linny 05-28-2012 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5249260)
What do you mean? Inquiring minds want to know.

[or, maybe AN inquiring mind, at least!:D]

okay, I found it...just go to "advance search" and type in sharpie art....lots of stuff on art quilts also. You still can sign up and make a beautiful art quilt. How about it?

jaciqltznok 05-28-2012 02:29 PM

so the sharpie will NOT be permanent then? What if you use a an actual fabric marker?

Linny 05-28-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5249555)
so the sharpie will NOT be permanent then? What if you use a an actual fabric marker?

guess I do a lot of experimenting, but am going to rinse my quilt, then dry it because I like that washed look.....that doesn't mean it will work, but I'm going to try it. People who use silks and other fussy fabrics probably wouldn't ever put their piece in water. As for the fabric marker, guess you'll have to read what the manufacturer says. If you color with them and don't ever wash it, it should be fine. I really think any technique we use within the guidelines of this swap will be fine.(size and machine quilted). I look at this swap as being very free spirited....can't wait to see everyone's creative work.

JuneBillie 05-28-2012 06:48 PM

Yes, we do need to know, because I was planning to do the modern quilt. Lots of fun ahead.

jaciqltznok 05-28-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 5250057)
Yes, we do need to know, because I was planning to do the modern quilt. Lots of fun ahead.

same here..I do artsy all the time...but just bought some NOT me fabrics and wanted to do Modern!

Havplenty 05-28-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 5250057)

well this is a modern mini quilt swap and not an art mini quilt swap. modern quilts and art quilts are in two different categories. perhaps in our designing stages, our minds become so creative and flooded with ideas that the ideas start to merge.:D

one statement from the modern quilt guild's website sets home for me what modern quilting is in my mind:

"Modern quilters have embraced the new options available in textiles: bold colors, graphic prints, larger scale prints, and Japanese fabrics. Much like the Amish quilting tradition, many modern quilters are also exploring quilt designs made exclusively with solid fabrics or with just a hint of print.."

happy creating to all as i look forward to seeing your designs.

mary

nancia 05-29-2012 04:10 AM

in this swap i am definitely working on modern as opposed to art. there is no embellishment on modern quilts. most are rather stark. minimalist--just the minimum design. i have a son who is into the whole minimalist lifestyle, but when i offered to make him a minimalist modern quilt, he said no. he wants one with thousands of colors! lol! go figure!:confused::)

SewExtremeSeams 05-29-2012 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 5249432)
Linda, I'm trying to go back in memory to who it was on the board that introduced this technique. It was a picture of a pear and the sharpie was used directly on the fabric, then alcohol was rubbed on to create a bleeding effect. I will research more, but she was very good at it and the results were so pretty. I'm not as confident so am using a q-tip dipped in the alcohol, then sharpie applied to q-tip. It's just more subtle that way. I'll let you know, but I remember looking it up on the board and finding info so maybe it's still there.

"okay, I found it...just go to "advance search" and type in sharpie art....lots of stuff on art quilts also. You still can sign up and make a beautiful art quilt. How about it? "

Thanks Linny! I will have to try that. If you are going for a more washed out look then I can see where the Sharpie would work, especially if you heat set it. Thanks also for the q-tip idea. And, for the invite to join. I am pretty sure my tastes run more along the 'art' quilt style but I have decided to follow along and see what y'all come up with. It seems like everywhere I turn I see articles, etc. on 'modern' quilts. Can't wait to see what you come up with.:)