Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Pretty Valentine's Swap ....Sign ups to close december 30th (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/pretty-valentines-swap-sign-ups-close-december-30th-t153002.html)

starshine 09-22-2011 07:12 AM

This looks like fun, and the blocks posted are so nice! I'll have to see if I can get some made up so I can sign up.

RedGarnet222 09-22-2011 08:21 AM

We would love to have you join us starshine! Let me know when you are ready to sign up, ok?

starshine 09-22-2011 09:03 AM

Will do.

lynnie 09-24-2011 08:59 AM

i'm of course getting carried away with this one too. can't wait to maore blocks. just finished the top of my hall0ween last night, gotta go quilt it now
was at a lqs this a.m., ladies were pay $35 for a class on how to make snap bags.... didn't have the heart to tell them they could come to this great site and do it for FREE!!!!!!!!

RedGarnet222 09-24-2011 09:23 AM

LOL... I know what you mean lynnie. I love to get carried away on a project when it is so fun!

Will you post a pic here on the thread of the halloween one when you finish it? (or somewhere and give us a link?)

RedGarnet222 09-24-2011 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by moonrise
Here are some pics of Robert's and my blocks. The lighting isn't that great in here, but the backgrounds are actually white. (They kind of look gray on my monitor.) Most of it's Michael Miller's Fairy Frost fabrics. Some is pearly; others have gold or silver glitter. The rest is white-on-white.

Hello moonrise! I got your blocks in the mail today! How absolutely beautiful they are!

starshine 09-24-2011 04:14 PM

OK I have some questions.....

[They do not have to be all the same. And it is possible that you will not get the exact same sizes back that you sent.]

By "not all the same", are you saying the set of six blocks don't have to be the same size as others in the set, or multiple sets don't have to be the same.

[The block images can be anything accociated with the Happy Valentine Holiday.]

Are all the blocks applique or embroidery? --I was wondering if you also were doing pieced blocks in valentine theme fabrics? and if so, would the pieced block need to be an image, or could it be a pieced pattern with a name that is associated with valentines? such as a flower named patchwork( like prairie flower or lily), or the hugs and kisses blocks?

[The block images can be anything accociated with the Happy Valentine Holiday. We will be using a girly type colored backgrounds either white or cream with tiny flowers, a pale ginghams or checks, solid beige or cream (or neutral blenders work here too). That means pale or light colored backgrounds ( fabrics) are to be used.]

One of the blocks posted looked like its background was a medium color-I realize photos don't usually show true color, but how would one tell if their background is light enough to meet the guideline?

And does the sign up of 17 mean that these 17 have all of their sets finished already?

moonrise 09-24-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222

Originally Posted by moonrise
Here are some pics of Robert's and my blocks. The lighting isn't that great in here, but the backgrounds are actually white. (They kind of look gray on my monitor.) Most of it's Michael Miller's Fairy Frost fabrics. Some is pearly; others have gold or silver glitter. The rest is white-on-white.

Hello moonrise! I got your blocks in the mail today! How absolutely beautiful they are!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Morningcoffeegal 09-24-2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by starshine
OK I have some questions.....

[They do not have to be all the same. And it is possible that you will not get the exact same sizes back that you sent.]

By "not all the same", are you saying the set of six blocks don't have to be the same size as others in the set, or multiple sets don't have to be the same.

Answer: All 6 blocks in a set are to be the same size but can be different styles of blocks. EX: 3 hearts, 3 roses or 2 hearts, 2 roses, 2 cupids However you are only allowed to submit 4 sets of 6 blocks total for this swap and only 1 set can be 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 the other sets have to be larger no bigger than 12 12/ x 12 1/2. See pg 1 for block sizes

[The block images can be anything accociated with the Happy Valentine Holiday.]

Are all the blocks applique or embroidery? --I was wondering if you also were doing pieced blocks in valentine theme fabrics? and if so, would the pieced block need to be an image, or could it be a pieced pattern with a name that is associated with valentines? such as a flower named patchwork( like prairie flower or lily), or the hugs and kisses blocks?

Answer: You can use a image such as a rose, heart, cupid, etc. You could also do a block in any style using Valentine printed Fabrics or pinks & reds and do a Hugs & Kisses block, that is fine!

[The block images can be anything accociated with the Happy Valentine Holiday. We will be using a girly type colored backgrounds either white or cream with tiny flowers, a pale ginghams or checks, solid beige or cream (or neutral blenders work here too). That means pale or light colored backgrounds ( fabrics) are to be used.]

One of the blocks posted looked like its background was a medium color-I realize photos don't usually show true color, but how would one tell if their background is light enough to meet the guideline?

Answer: Think girly, light, soft, cool pinks, creams, white on white and you'll be fine! Ex: Pale pink gingham, pale pink tiny polka dot on white or cream, solid creams or whites, soft pale pink plaids or stripes.

And does the sign up of 17 mean that these 17 have all of their sets finished already?

There are 17 signed up so far & no they dont have thier blocks submitted yet. See page 1 for deadline. Jump in & have fun!

RedGarnet222 09-24-2011 08:41 PM

Why... thank you morning coffee gal!

I think that you did great explaining. I love that you read all the rules and knew the answers. LOL!

I will add this though because it needs a little more explaing...

Question ... Are all the blocks applique or embroidery?

Answer ... No you can use paper piecing or just regular piecing to make your blocks. Please see my second set on page 2 of this thread to see the pieced heart I did.

Question ... I noticed a block that had a darker background.

Answer ... Yes there might be very few blocks that have a little darker background. But it will be rare. And personally, I think they add a little somethin' somthin' to a quilt. But, for the most part people will follow what the swap rules say and use a pale or white or cream background.

Also it is worth mentioning that there are people who are making the blocks they intend to use with the swap blocks in thier quilts and aren't blocks they are sending in to swap.