Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Quilting Board's First Scrap Club (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/quilting-boards-first-scrap-club-t207686.html)

TOOMANYUFO'S 12-29-2012 06:54 PM

The Ohio star made with the Boston blocks is beautiful.

Dodie 12-29-2012 08:23 PM

those are absolutely wonderful I love them

ssnare 12-29-2012 08:30 PM

The Quilter's magazine has a new scrappy quilt that looks interesting. You add your scraps and make them into 12 1/2" x 6 1/2" blocks. Then add a 1" black border. You make 13 of these. Then you add a white or light alternate block and you add a sashing to make it look like the block is hanging on a ribbon. The ribbons are different lengths. I will try to take a picture tomorrow and post it.

JuneBillie 12-29-2012 08:38 PM

I like all of them, but love the Ohio Boston Block.

Elisabrat 12-30-2012 08:33 AM

I love the kansas block as scrappy appeals and scares me. its so.. not matched! lol maybe that is a good jumping point for me to get used to the concept. lots of a similar makes the scrappy less.. patchy. I am doing the mystery train scrappy that just started. its only a three week quilt along if anyone has not seen it yet. I am already having heart trouble. I cut and think omg these will NEVER work together. I stopped at the halfway point last night cutting it was killing me the scrappyness of it all (laugh go ahead) . sewing it together will be worse I fear. closingmy eyes to do it. I want to put all reds in one block all blues in another so its sorta not so.. mixed. how to get past this everyone?

Also I wanted to ask.. see I keep mine color coordinated on the shelves but havent cut them. Does everyone here precut scraps into sizesfor future use? like this could make 4.5 , 2.5, triangles..etc..I just put themon the self if they are a f16 or smaller. thenthere is a f.4 shelf and then larger. and some are all weird shapes. curiosity makes me ask. maybe I should just cut the hell out of all of the little ones for future use? I was afraid maybe I might want an odd size for a crazy block center or.. I so do not use or save smaller pieces like 1.5 in fact if it wont make a 2.5 x 4.5 or a 3.5 block its.. dont look.. garbage. anyone want me to save those pieces for them? I wont precut sorry into pretty squares for you I already look at them like argh! but you can have them as I grow them in the future. always growing them btw.

Annaquilts 12-30-2012 09:05 AM

I have precut some and found it is always the wrong size. So I wait till I have a project and sort scraps and then precut only for the project.

Rhonda 12-30-2012 11:56 AM

Elisabrat
You can do a controlled scrappy if that feels better to you. I do that alot. I use all greens but diff greens with all reds diff reds etc in a pattern. I prefer to not use the same print more than once in a pattern as it makes it look better to my eye.

Annaquilts 12-30-2012 12:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes on this. Also look to keep muted with muted and brights with bright. Often people that do not like scrappy will respond favorably to controlled scrappies.Most of these are made from FQ sized pieces.

Originally Posted by Rhonda (Post 5750250)
Elisabrat
You can do a controlled scrappy if that feels better to you. I do that alot. I use all greens but diff greens with all reds diff reds etc in a pattern. I prefer to not use the same print more than once in a pattern as it makes it look better to my eye.

ssnare 12-30-2012 06:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the scrappy quilt I was talking about from McCalls quilting magazine Winter 2012-2013. It is called "Baker's Dozen"

jaba 12-30-2012 06:49 PM

Nice quilts but those are controlled scrappy, which I like too!!