Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/secret-santa-signups-closed-remember-pm-me-mailing-info-when-sent-recd-t252598.html)

Quercus Rubra 11-17-2014 09:14 AM

(Croak .... Croak)

I have a question for all of you. After the beginning of the year, I was thinking of do a "make-a-gift-monthly" kind of thing and wondered if anyone wanted to join me in it.

Basically I'm sure most of us does more than one Secret Santa type thing every year and would like to have some home made goodies that are "Generic" (for the lack of a better word as the gift could fit more than one person) made up a head of time for your gift giving needs to alleviate the last minute panic and stress. And sometimes it's hard to come up with fresh ideas that are successful especially if you have a large number of people to make for. Also would be a good place to SS Newbies to visit so they can see some ideas what is made for the swap.

I did start doing that this year and some success before the health issues took over. As a group we could share gift ideas, pictures and advice to show our support to each other. Maybe I found a project that states it's for beginner's but it's not coming together for me. Well I could go to the thread to see if someone found a way that works out differently and Viola!! problem solved and gift is made. Maybe you have a person that kind of stumps you in the thought process, by sharing of general info. we could brainstorm together to come up with some suggestions that might work out for you.

And nice thing is that isn't not limited to just quilting. I love doing all kinds of needle works, So I'm thinking of making some small cross-stitch ornaments. or some cute little craft felt pincushions, and maybe some simple knitted wash clothes.

Also I know a lot of us go on the no-fabric-buying diet at the beginning of the year and I have a thoughts about that too. For example I have a need of small pieces of different colors in homespun fabrics beyond what I have on hand, but because of the diet-- there's no buying... okay so I put out a trade request and say as an example Neesie needs floral prints and has some Homespuns to trade.... we swap... and for the cost of a stamp or two we don't break our diet. Dose this make any sense?

Any ways I was thinking if someone did it with me it could help me be more productive in that arena and keep me motivated during a severely difficult time of the year so that I don't sink in to the black-hole of depression starts now and might go on until summertime. So what do you think?

Tricia

Anoka Quilter 11-17-2014 09:30 AM

I was also shocked that my SS loved so close to me. I could drive it to her doorstep, but I didn't. Was really tempting though.

Originally Posted by roseirish48 (Post 6971984)
this is first time i have had a ss living so close to me---in past they have been clear across the country one way or another.

CarolinePaj 11-17-2014 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't like to crow..... But I had to show you all what I have won!!! When Terri asked what machine she was getting I guessed she was buying the Babylock Destiny.... And she was...... How "jel" (as the young people say) are we. Well, asked what I would like for a prize and I replied that I would love anything...... But I didn't realise how wonderful the blocks she sent would be......!!! They are fabulous. I don't know if the picture show how beautifully shiny they are... I am so looking forward to creating with hem.

Terri, thank you so much... They are fantastic.

hugs

Caroline

Neesie 11-17-2014 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quercus Rubra (Post 6972684)
(Croak .... Croak)

I have a question for all of you. After the beginning of the year, I was thinking of do a "make-a-gift-monthly" kind of thing and wondered if anyone wanted to join me in it.

Basically I'm sure most of us does more than one Secret Santa type thing every year and would like to have some home made goodies that are "Generic" (for the lack of a better word as the gift could fit more than one person) made up a head of time for your gift giving needs to alleviate the last minute panic and stress. And sometimes it's hard to come up with fresh ideas that are successful especially if you have a large number of people to make for. Also would be a good place to SS Newbies to visit so they can see some ideas what is made for the swap.

I did start doing that this year and some success before the health issues took over. As a group we could share gift ideas, pictures and advice to show our support to each other. Maybe I found a project that states it's for beginner's but it's not coming together for me. Well I could go to the thread to see if someone found a way that works out differently and Viola!! problem solved and gift is made. Maybe you have a person that kind of stumps you in the thought process, by sharing of general info. we could brainstorm together to come up with some suggestions that might work out for you.

And nice thing is that isn't not limited to just quilting. I love doing all kinds of needle works, So I'm thinking of making some small cross-stitch ornaments. or some cute little craft felt pincushions, and maybe some simple knitted wash clothes.

Also I know a lot of us go on the no-fabric-buying diet at the beginning of the year and I have a thoughts about that too. For example I have a need of small pieces of different colors in homespun fabrics beyond what I have on hand, but because of the diet-- there's no buying... okay so I put out a trade request and say as an example Neesie needs floral prints and has some Homespuns to trade.... we swap... and for the cost of a stamp or two we don't break our diet. Dose this make any sense?

Any ways I was thinking if someone did it with me it could help me be more productive in that arena and keep me motivated during a severely difficult time of the year so that I don't sink in to the black-hole of depression starts now and might go on until summertime. So what do you think?

Tricia

Tricia, I LOVE that idea and would be happy to join the new group! :thumbup:

CarolinePaj 11-17-2014 09:43 AM

Sorry I posted an upside down picture..... Does anybody out there know how to correct it???

Hugs

Caroline

Neesie 11-17-2014 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj (Post 6972736)
I don't like to crow..... But I had to show you all what I have won!!! When Terri asked what machine she was getting I guessed she was buying the Babylock Destiny.... And she was...... How "jel" (as the young people say) are we. Well, asked what I would like for a prize and I replied that I would love anything...... But I didn't realise how wonderful the blocks she sent would be......!!! They are fabulous. I don't know if the picture show how beautifully shiny they are... I am so looking forward to creating with hem.

Terri, thank you so much... They are fantastic.

hugs

Caroline

Those are beautiful!!! :thumbup:

MizMelly 11-17-2014 10:20 AM

Tricia, I would love to join a group of like minded quilter-crafters! I have so many patterns and ideas floating around that sometimes I just need to focus with a little direction. Great idea!! Why wait until the swap/SS/etc sign-up happens to start digging for ideas? It's also a great way to springboard gift ideas for family and friends too!

Bilben 11-17-2014 11:45 AM

Great blocks, CarolinePaj! And Terri!!!

juneayerza 11-17-2014 11:51 AM

Tricia, I like that idea too.

Terri's prize is so cute.

quilt addict 11-17-2014 12:30 PM

Just checked and the package I sent arrived at my giftee's post office. So it should be delivered soon. I thankfully do not have any tempting box yet!

Marilyn43 so wonderful of you to share your experience. I too find the board a source of support and encouragement. Keep on keeping on. I will be in NE to visit family around Christmas and New Years so would be willing to meet in person and give you a real hug, just send me a PM.

Tricia so good to hear from you and such a great story. I was reeled right in. So glad you are feeling better and can join us. I like the idea of a project sew along thread. I am often overwhelmed by the quilt projects and a little project that can actually finish is very nice sometimes.

One of the LQS is moving so they had 70% off notions sale this weekend. You bet I stocked up for the next year's swap! Whoo Hooo!