Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Vote For the Next Block Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/vote-next-block-swap-t39880.html)

moosegirl 04-07-2010 09:30 AM

Pre cut pieces sound like a good idea in principle but unless you are using an accu cut machine there is a big variation in types of rulers, marking pencils and hand/eye coordination of the quilter to get accurate blocks. Over the years, I have purchased kits or exchanged kits and found it was a headache. But on the other hand, if the finished block size is flexible, it would be fun getting different fabric units to play with.
Moosegirl

sunflower126 04-07-2010 12:31 PM

I can only speak for myself, but I would probably stick them in a box and forget about them. Put it off to do at some other time. I don't think that I would sign up for that swap.

missgigglewings 04-07-2010 12:56 PM

I would sign up for this, but I am a swap-sucker! I sign up for them all!

Claudia Paula 04-07-2010 01:20 PM

I have participanted in 5" square exchanges in my Guild from time to time. You can't imagine how different in size 5" squares can be.
Needless to say I would not be interested in a pre-cut swap.
Claudia Paula

purplemem 04-07-2010 01:23 PM

I'm not interested in a pre-cut either. I screw up my own cuts bad enough, I sure don't want to do that to other people.

What about some kind of scrappy? I haven't figured out what, yet.
All I can think of is tumblers (because I want to make a tumbler quilt), something one shape and scrappy so we could send sets...

wilhelmina 04-07-2010 04:45 PM

Instead of pre-cut pieces maybe pre-cut strips with 3-4 colors.

I would pass on a No Sew Swap with pre-cut pieces, as I agree with the other ladies that pre-cuts would be different from person to person...

Nancy in Louisiana 04-07-2010 05:19 PM

I'd like a scrappy swap - maybe with a theme, like a basic pattern (9-patch, churn, basic star, rail fence,etc) on a "beige" (like muslin, white-on-natural, cream, etc) background. Guilds usually do this for a Lotto block, but rarely does anyone ever get enough to do anything with them. A controlled swap would assure enough for a small lap quilt anyway. This would be a good one for newbies to flex their wings. It would also give us all a chance to use up some of those smaller scraps. Keep the pattern simple (and idiot-proof as far as those pesky scant 1/4 seams go), and no one would mind doing a larger quantity. Or use different sizes, multiples of 3 inch increments. For "set" calculation, let two 3 1/2 blocks equal one 6 l/2, two 6 1/2 equal one 12 1/2, one 3 1/2 and one 6 1/2 equal a 9 1/2. Just so it pretty much equals twelve 12 1/2 squares. Clear as mud?

purplemem 04-07-2010 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
I'd like a scrappy swap - maybe with a theme, like a basic pattern (9-patch, churn, basic star, rail fence,etc) on a "beige" (like muslin, white-on-natural, cream, etc) background. Guilds usually do this for a Lotto block, but rarely does anyone ever get enough to do anything with them. A controlled swap would assure enough for a small lap quilt anyway. This would be a good one for newbies to flex their wings. It would also give us all a chance to use up some of those smaller scraps. Keep the pattern simple (and idiot-proof as far as those pesky scant 1/4 seams go), and no one would mind doing a larger quantity. Or use different sizes, multiples of 3 inch increments. For "set" calculation, let two 3 1/2 blocks equal one 6 l/2, two 6 1/2 equal one 12 1/2, one 3 1/2 and one 6 1/2 equal a 9 1/2. Just so it pretty much equals twelve 12 1/2 squares. Clear as mud?

i like this, muslin with 9 patch scrappy? any equality of 12 1/2?

missgigglewings 04-07-2010 06:03 PM

I like the scrappy one too. I have got to down size my stash before I have to pad my mattress and sleep on it all! I have already given away 4 priority boxes and that is at 10.00 a pop. But thats ok, because some cool quilters on this board put them to good use! So, to whom it may concern: I am in with the scrap-happy bunch!

NorBanaquilts 04-12-2010 08:11 AM

Would anyone be interested in dressed up dresses??? See the thread below for examples.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19799-1.htm Pattern done in EQ on page 4

If you know of any free dress patterns out there please let me know. I found a few but didn't fall in love with any of the free ones and I don't want anyone to have to purchase a pattern to partipate in the swap.