Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Winter 1.5" square swap - Sign up closes March 7, 2011 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/winter-1-5%22-square-swap-sign-up-closes-march-7-2011-a-t82983.html)

Momofthree 12-21-2010 05:27 PM

I want to join but I do have one question first.....If I sign up for 10 sets, can the 10 sets have the same 50 fabrics or do they need to be different?

KarenBarnes 12-21-2010 09:35 PM

Each set has 50 different fabrics but you can have 10 sets of 50. When I straighten my fabric for a clean cut, I add 1.5" to the edge. Much easier for me than cutting scraps piece by piece.

Momofthree 12-21-2010 10:30 PM

I just sent a PM to get myself signed up!! I understand that some like fabric pre-washed and some don't. Is there a preference for this swap?

Keepmelaffn 12-21-2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Momofthree
I just sent a PM to get myself signed up!! I understand that some like fabric pre-washed and some don't. Is there a preference for this swap?

I myself like to work with pre-washed fabric. That way I'm pretty sure none of the pieces will shrink once my project is finished causing a bit of a problem. I don't know if there is a preference here or not...hope not...as all of my fabric in my stash has been washed before it ever became "stash".

sew cornie 12-22-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Keepmelaffn

Originally Posted by Momofthree

I myself like to work with pre-washed fabric. That way I'm pretty sure none of the pieces will shrink once my project is finished causing a bit of a problem. I don't know if there is a preference here or not...hope not...as all of my fabric in my stash has been washed before it ever became "stash".

I always prewash too. But I recall a comment about this on the sign-up thread for fall. Someone said that at this size, shrinkage shouldn't be a problem so prewashed or not didn't matter.

Momofthree 12-22-2010 12:01 PM

I pre-wash everything but my pre-cuts. So I imagine that most if not all mine will be pre-washed. I need to start cutting! I signed up for 10 that is 500 squares!!

Keepmelaffn 12-22-2010 12:58 PM

Happy Wednesday Fellow Swappers! Are we doing siggie blocks to send in with our sets?

Nanax4 12-22-2010 02:02 PM

Oh boy. I had my 20 piles laid out in my sewing area, adding to each pile sequentially as I cut more strips.

DH knocked the piles off onto the floor while looking for something. He cannot understand why this is upsetting. Other than the fact that whatever I'm doing is not considered worthy of being careful of.

How aggravating. Before I had 20 piles that I KNEW didn't have duplicates. All I had to do was be sure there were 50 in each pile. Now I have to sort the whole mess into like fabrics, and re-sort into 20 piles. Arghhh!!!!

Guess it will be good after Christmas project.

Missi 12-22-2010 08:44 PM

I am an avid prewasher so many of my squares are prewashed. I saw many of them because I have a quilter friend who has given me scraps by the pound and she doesn't prewash. I can't believe what she will toss, I started to keep the 2.5" stuff separate cause I can do a different scrap quilt with them. I saw last night I need to get some drawers so I can start to sort by color cause the large rubbermaid I started with is full - ack!

Nanax4 I know your aggravation my helper aka the cat resorted my piles the first time I was swapping. I now keep them stacked with straight pins through them. If the set is done it goes in a baggie.

Nanax4 12-23-2010 07:34 AM

Missi - good idea with the straight pin. I did the re-sorting last night and realized that I could put the completed sets into their baggies. Brilliant minds think alike, eh?