Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 73 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23 63 72 73 74 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2169

Thread: Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

QM
    My DH refers to scrappies as "real" quilts. Meaning traditional frugal fabric usage. He always loves my scrappies but says they are too good for charity giving, because of the time and love involved... a concept I don't really buy into. He says scrappies are what I should give to someone who s seriously ill, such as the acquaintance with stage 4 brain cancer who was given a month to live MAX but was still alive, alert and wrapped in that quilt a year later ..... in remission!!!! She credited the "magic" of the quilt. Her DH said she always wrapped up in it for lounging at home or going out in his truck.

Rhonda asked me to post this and a tute on how to make it. This pattern is awesome for jelly rolls and 2.5" strips. It goes together fairly easily although the piecing is a bit finicky. Here is the link to the tute (PDF): http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t235957.html

and the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Lynnie, your quilt top is amazing! I love it! Nice work at the shack!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Thanks JNCT14! It is a gorgeous quilt!

Here is a quilt idea that came in my email today. It is from Victoriana Quilt Designs.

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...oftheMonth.htm

Rainbow Crossroads quilt
    Name:  RainbowCrossroadsQuilt.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  127.6 KB

when I choose colors to use I like to go from the lighter to the darker and gradually go up the value chain. For the border she used going to the rt she went yellow orange red purple blue green. I would always put blue as the dominant color and she used green. To me green is less than most blues. Interesting also to see how she crossed a color like an x or L as in the blues. I would usually try not to repeat more than one color per line. Just me. From a distance it looked like a Kansas Dugout blocks to me but it is all HSTs and squares. Very interesting and a fun way to use up scraps!

Wow, I love this. I'll check out your tutorial as I have a a couple of jelly rolls in search of the right project. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
    Rhonda asked me to post this and a tute on how to make it. This pattern is awesome for jelly rolls and 2.5" strips. It goes together fairly easily although the piecing is a bit finicky. Here is the link to the tute (PDF): http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t235957.html

and the picture.
    Boom gallery: www.boomerangswaps.weebly.com

Janice McC

I'd never have thought to do this l love this thread for all the terrific ideas you all post! Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...oftheMonth.htm

Rainbow Crossroads quilt
    Name:  RainbowCrossroadsQuilt.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  127.6 KB

when I choose colors to use I like to go from the lighter to the darker and gradually go up the value chain. For the border she used going to the rt she went yellow orange red purple blue green. I would always put blue as the dominant color and she used green. To me green is less than most blues. Interesting also to see how she crossed a color like an x or L as in the blues. I would usually try not to repeat more than one color per line. Just me. From a distance it looked like a Kansas Dugout blocks to me but it is all HSTs and squares. Very interesting and a fun way to use up scraps!

Janice McC

Blog Entries
    Rhonda I love that quilt!! I am thinking of using 2.5 inch squares and making a baby quilt.........I have to have my husband work out the math and see if it will still be too big..... but I just love this one !!!
    A good friend is like a warm quilt wrapped
    around the heart

Karen

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple I saw on Pinterest

Supernova quilt
    Name:  Supernova quilt by freshlypieced on Flickr.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  112.3 KB

Crossword Scrappy by Emilee Adams
    Name:  Crossword Scrappy by Emilee Adams.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  40.1 KB

I just found this thread and have enjoyed reading a lot of the posts. I love to scrap quilt and those types of quilts always seem to be more interesting than the matchy-matchy quilts that I did while learning to quilt. Don't get me wrong, I still do matchy quilts from time to time, but it the scrap quilts that I seem to enjoy the most. It's like while you are piecing you think to yourself "Oh, I don't know about these fabrics going together", but when you stand back and look on it, it's like magic.

BTW, love the pics of all the quilts posted in here. Wish we had a "like" button.

Blog Entries
    December is a busy month for most. I see it got somewhat quiet in here. I am sure alot of you are scurrying around getting presents done.

I'll be looking forward to more scrappy pics of all the things you are working on ladies and gents!!

Here are a couple of hotpads I just finished.
    The quilt block is 6" finished and the hotpad w/ borders is 8" finished.
    These use my shortcut methods. Star Point Blocks in the first one and my version of Kansas Dugouts in the second one.

Name:  4 x 4 300.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  28.4 KB....Name:  300.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  28.4 KB

Ooooh pretty! I am doing a cpuple of mug rugs and getting my Urban Windows quilt ready for layering. Btw I started a thread on modern quilting and I think I hit a nerve - there are a LOT of replies.

Blog Entries
    Don't think you hit a nerve--just sparked some good discussion.

Nice hotpads, Rhonda. GD #1 & 3 helped me make pot holders Saturday made from scraps, but bigger ones as they were the kind that you start with 6 large squares, fold 4 in half and lay the folded ones so that you don't have to leave a turning hole. Made great teacher gifts and since there are 5 teachers involved they made for themselves and the other kids.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Rhonda, the hot pads are lovely. I'd hate to use them and risk soiling them! They're probably too small (and finicky) for me but I so enjoy looking at them. TFS.

Janice McC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post

Nice hotpads, Rhonda. GD #1 & 3 helped me make pot holders Saturday made from scraps, but bigger ones as they were the kind that you start with 6 large squares, fold 4 in half and lay the folded ones so that you don't have to leave a turning hole. Made great teacher gifts and since there are 5 teachers involved they made for themselves and the other kids.
    I've not made hotpads that way, but have done tons of coaster sets...very cute idea! I'll have to give it a try.

Rhonda, your hotpads are adorable! I love them!!!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Ronda--I cut 8" squares and let the girls use 1/2" seams. A piece of cotton batting for filler and you are all set. May cut up so old towels and use that for filler the next time out. Girls loved the project and can share a hand made gift with their teachers.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries

How does that method work??? I'd love to learn it. (Maybe I'm the only one who's never heard of it!) Thanks in advance for any instructions anyone has time to post. I love using scraps.

Blog Entries
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Wow - that was quick and exactly the tutorial too! Thank you so much! Great people on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Lynnie it is definitely a quilt that has to go on my to do list. I own so many scraps and I really like the look and feel of this one. Like wanabquilter, I see a book case. It looks both like a fun and modern quilt. Any idea on how you plan to quilt it?
    Anna, it is to go on the opposite side of the panel that will display some of my quilts at my show. I am just going to add a sheet as a back for that. Afterwards I think I will unpick so there are two halves and then quilt them as separate quilts. As I am not any good at free motion quilting and exquisite quilting designs it will probably be stitiched in or close by the ditch every so often to hold it together. But I will be sure and post a pic of it quilted sometime next year LOL
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

Sounds great Lynnie. I like the idea of making it into two quilts also. I'll be looking forward to seeing it all done. Be sure to post some pictures of your display also if possible. I am sure I am not the only one that would like to see it. My curiosity is sure peeked.
    Anna Quilts

Here is a link to a Hunter's Star block method by Deb Tucker (sorry if this was already posted).
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...58187178,d.eW0
    I have a lot of 1.5" strips and this lends itself well to those. The triangles needed are small as well - 4" cut on the diagonal. Here is a block I made so you can see. I am hand piecing these because I need a portable project. The block is about 9.5".
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just found this thread...thank you! I need to shrink this scrap pile down. I started reading through the thread, but OMG, there's over 180 pages! So, if I touch on something that's already been said, my apologies. I'm curious, how many of you use paper piecing in your scrappys? Do you really need to use the paper? What kind do you use?

Thanks,
    Cindy

I fell in love with this scrappy-hexi quilt. I'd love to find the pattern. http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/2...-hoover-quilt/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
    Here is a link to a Hunter's Star block method by Deb Tucker (sorry if this was already posted).
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...58187178,d.eW0
    I have a lot of 1.5" strips and this lends itself well to those. The triangles needed are small as well - 4" cut on the diagonal. Here is a block I made so you can see. I am hand piecing these because I need a portable project. The block is about 9.5".
    Very pretty block! Thank you for the site...I enjoyed watching the tutorial!
    Ronda

Page 73 of 87 FirstFirst ... 23 63 72 73 74 83 ... LastLast