Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
September 2016 Mug Rug Swap --HOBBIES! >

September 2016 Mug Rug Swap --HOBBIES!

September 2016 Mug Rug Swap --HOBBIES!

Old 08-20-2016, 06:03 PM

Default September 2016 Mug Rug Swap --HOBBIES!

SEPTEMBER 2016 MUG RUG SWAP — HOBBIES

Welcome to the September 2016 Mug Rug Swap. This month’s theme is: HOBBIES!

Sounds like fun, huh? Well, September 10 is National Sewing Day. But let’s broaden our goal here to include any & all hobbies. Just pick one of your favorites — & run with it! (But not with scissors in your hand, please!) We may be quilters, but most quilters have at least one other favorite hobby — or three!

What is a mug rug? A mug rug is an item you use to place a cup of coffee, tea or soda on, along with a small snack plate/napkin beside it. It’s approximately 9”x8” or larger so both items will fit. Please do not make it smaller than 9”x 8” (unless your partner tells you specifically that she wants a smaller size), as that is quite small for both items as it is!

1. You will be assigned a partner. This is not a secret pal swap. Each partner will contact the other partner for addresses. You are encouraged to talk to each other and find out little things about them so you can make a special gift just for them. Then think about this month’s theme — HOBBIES. How can you turn that theme into a special mug rug? Will you appliqué or paper-piece or just go with regular piecing? Will you make your mug rug rectangular, circular, square, hexagonal? How you choose to make your mug rug is up to you, but make it with love & pride!

2. The mug rug must be made with 100% quilter’s cotton, with a nice cotton batting in between to protect furniture from possible damage due to heat/cold. Use a binding method you are comfortable with, or practice & learn a new binding technique! Also, the mug rug must be quilted. Remember, this is a gift you are making for someone. Be proud of your work & do your best. And be kind about what you receive. If you have any issues, please work it out with your partner first, before contacting me; communication is key. This board is for all of us to make friends & have fun.

3. You must send your name, address, e-mail address and phone number to me, ctyankee, by August 30th. Deadline to send out swaps is September 20th & don’t forget to send me notice, with tracking number, that you have sent to your partner. Any delays in mailing must be shared with me prior to the deadline of September 20th. I want everyone to receive a partner’s trade. We should not have to request angels. Again, communication is important. You can be forgiven if something comes up & you notify your partner & me prior to the deadline. But if you don’t communicate & don’t send out a mug rug to your partner, you will be locked out of swapping with this group and negative feedback will insure other swap groups know you didn't send. Also, if your partner has not sent to you by the deadline & you have not heard from her, please let me know. I’m pretty easy-going about things, but there is rarely a good reason for non-communication. If your partner has not communicated with you at all, let me know ‘way before the deadline so we can possibly avoid a problem later.

4. Also, please let me know if you can mail internationally!

5. You are free to include little gifties with your mug rug, handmade or store-bought; it’s up to you. But you are only obligated to send a mug rug. Nothing else is required in this swap.

6. Any questions? Contact me immediately and I will help get you started.

7. Please take a photo before you ship your package to your partner, just in case she cannot post a photo. We all love to see photos! But don’t post it until you know your partner has received your package & that she is unable to post a photo herself.

8. And most of all — just have fun!

SIGN UP TODAY! Send me a PM with your name, address, e-mail address & phone number for emergency use only. If you have a preference of what you receive, just communicate that with your partner. Names will be given out on September 1st, the latest. You are required by the board to send things you sign up for, or risk not having the ability to swap again in other swaps. Again, per board rules, anything about your partner or the item they send to you that does not please you is not to be posted on the board but sent in a PM to me, ctyankee, or to your partner to sort out. It’s polite and it’s the right thing to do.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 PM

Will have to check on dates for this one but hopefully they will work out. Will let you know ctyankee, I missed being able to exchange last month!!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 AM

Okay, Jan. We missed you, & hope you can join us this month!
Old 08-21-2016, 12:03 PM

WOHOO .... I am in for this one.... My favorite is to hand embroider!!!!
Old 08-22-2016, 02:37 PM

I can do this one. I know my schedule is very tight, but I have a few things in my stash that will definitely make this one fun.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:42 PM

put me down for this month. thanks for hosting.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Just to let everyone know ... my American Eskimo dog, Jack, at age 15-1/2 years, passed away tonight. Someone told me he is crossing the rainbow bridge, which I thought was very sweet. The house feels so empty without him.

RIP Jack. You are one wonderful boy who brought a lot of joy to others. You are missed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556585[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2845.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 05:22 PM

aww, so sorry for your loss.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM

ctyankee, I am so sorry. I've been through that and it is so hard ...guess that's why I have been done, it just broke my heart. In time, it's funny sort of, how you remember different times that you spent with that little doggie pal. Nice memories though and you will have them.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 PM

ctyankee so sorry I know how you feel. Our fur babies are everything to us. He was a beautiful little guy,very sweet picture of him.