Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Up for the June 2013 Quilting Board 46th Doll Quilt Swap! Red White and Blue

Ooftah! I am way behind I think not started my DQ for KimmieH yet!
    My mothers parents, Norwegians from Minn., always used it. My mother and her siblings didn't learn to speak English until they went to school. At that time the family only spoke English and the children forgot the Norwegian language.but never stopped useing "Ooftah"

Blog Entries
    Ooftah! More Norwegians! Please pass the lutkefisk!

Psychomom, you need to empty your mailbox.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post

Hmmm. How about an oof-dah theme some month?
    Hey I like that idea! and Oof-dah quilt. We could interpret that a number of ways. It would be fun.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble View Post
    That's funny Cogito - I didn't realize it was so rare to hear. My grandparents were of Norwegian ancestory and my grandmother said "Ooftah!" often. It means the same thing as "Oh my goodness" or "Good grief" or like you said "Geez". It must be a Swedish saying too, which makes sense, since they have only been separate countries in recent history. It must be heard a lot in the areas of our country with larger concentrations of people with Scandanavian heritage. The word is used like crazy in Scandanavian jokes. It is spelled a lot of different ways... uff-da being used more often. Hah hah I sound like a linguist or something. I do love to learn the background of things and we can see you do too.
    No, You are right......it was Norwegian that lived up in that area (I was confoozed!) because it isn't that far south of Minnesota. Thanks everyone who joined in on this off topic to help explain! Oh yes, I was raised that way. My mother and father were foreign linquists (father professor at University of NE) and boy did we learn the etymology of words, etc. lol!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Cogito, what fun parents you had! Growing up in our household we spoke a blend of languages - Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, a dialect of Romani - and English, of course. At one point I noticed that the language used sort of depended on the emotional content of the conversation. Later on my sisters and I added Spanish, French and Latin to the mix just for fun -- three languages the relatives DIDN'T speak, LOL!

Well, July is going to be a combination of Self-Portrait and/or Where I Live so we can always toss OOFDAH into the mix!
    Krystyna

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Been washing windows, blinds and curtains since Friday, have 3 more windows to go, hate this job!! This may be my oof-dah, the patch is growing like a weed. Froze 3 batches like this today.Name:  DSCF1417.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  1.23 MB

Blog Entries
    Oooooo! Jaba! YUM!!!!
    Krystyna

Off subject. This is a pm i received from Handi yesterday,she was my dq partner for march. she is in need of all our prayers right now!
    she has been going thru hard times with her mom since March.

mother was taken to er on sunday. she is in ICU presently. She is on a bi-pap machine to breath for her. Not a respirator. She decided yesterday to start getting off the bi-pap and if she can't breath on her own to do comfort measures thru hospice and keep her comfortable. I have spent every night at hospital except for one. My younger sister and I tag team. Mother wants one of us there. She is very alert. Just body going. Praying God's will for mother to not linger and suffer. Mother and I had our good byes several times and again yesterday. So once life as I know it settles down I will finish your swap. Have a blessed day. Just home to shower and do a couple of things.
    I love to collect roosters of any kind. I also love embroidery thread for my machine. My favorite color is purple and i am just a plain old country girl.lol

Blog Entries
    Oh no! Poor Handi! Can you please PM her address to me if you have it?
    Krystyna

Haven't heard from my partner yet.
    Googled 4th of July quilts and saw lots and lots of great red, white and blue ideas!
    I am going ahead and starting a quilt for this month. jillnjo.
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    jillinjo,
    If you don't hear from your partner. I can swap with you (if that's ok with Krystna).
    I'm just about finished with Lynnie25's.
    In my quilt lab!

Prayers and hugs for Handi as she goes through this very hard time with her mother. Elisabrat is working hard due to a move to Wyoming. She missed a dialysis session and has been feeling very poorly. Has anyone heard from Robin lately and how she is doing. The rest of us are very lucky and should be counting our blessings daily. What's a few aches and pains compared to what these ladies are going through. Hugs to all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    Haven't heard from my partner yet.
    Googled 4th of July quilts and saw lots and lots of great red, white and blue ideas!
    I am going ahead and starting a quilt for this month. jillnjo.
    Your partner, Jarenie, is new. She PM'd or posted that she didn't get her partner. I guess she didn't realize she had to look at the thread. Hope you hear from her soon.

Ms Grace, if you can make an extra that would be great. I have the feeling that we have a couple of "problem children" this month.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Bertie, I was wondering about Robin, too. She is on my mind daily. There are so many amazing quilters who keep up their spirits despite illness, heartache and so many trials. They keep on quilting. What an inspiration to all of us.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Your partner, Jarenie, is new. She PM'd or posted that she didn't get her partner. I guess she didn't realize she had to look at the thread. Hope you hear from her soon.

Ms Grace, if you can make an extra that would be great. I have the feeling that we have a couple of "problem children" this month.

Sure, I can make another quilt. Just let me know who to partner with.
    In my quilt lab!

My thoughts and prayers are winging upward for Handi and her mother, and for Robin and Linda. I do not like seeing that they are very noticeably absent from this thread.
    There are so many amazing quilters who keep up their spirits despite illness, heartache and so many trials. They keep on quilting. What an inspiration to all of us.
    Quilting is a healing passion and can take us through some very hard times.

On another note: Jaba that is an Oof-dah batch of asparagus for sure! It it great that youa re getting so much cleaning done.

Cogito that must have been really fun having parents that ignited your curiosity!

Krystyna, how amazing that you can speak so many different languages - That is QUITE impressive!
    I have a small quilt almost finished - it is not red white and blue though. I made it with jillnjo in mind several months ago. So I could also be her substitute if her partner does not come through.

I did PM my partner and I don't think she has posted since then, so maybe she hasn't seen my note. Anyway, I'd be delighted to be anyone's partner!! Just let me know whatever works out.
    Good health is such a blessing and one we think of often as we get older, used to take it for granted, I suppose. Hope the ladies are feeling better and can be quilting soon.
    jillnjo

Blog Entries
    Let's just sit tight for a day and see if she turns up. Ms Grace, I'll let you know. Waiting to see what happens with a couple of situations.

Back to stitching the table topper that Elisabrat talked me into.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    oooo!!! I'm so excited! Just got an email that USPS Click n Ship is now offering international first class! Whooohooo!
    Krystyna

Well, Sistahdebbra, I worked on your Red White and Blue today. Three sides to hand bind and put the label on and it's done! HIP, HIP, HOORAY! It certainly had a mind of its own because it didn't turn out quite the way I had planned but I am very satisfied with it so far. Now if the quilting gremlins don't whisper in my ear any more, I'll finish it up tomorrow and get it in the mail to you by Friday, for sure! This is one of those I'd definitely like to keep because the fabrics are so unique!

working away on Quiltermommas little quilt.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

These are truly one of a kind little quilts. Yours is on its way, SistahDebbra. I being presumptious but you're gonna love it!

Ooftah Bertie! You are amazing! TWO quilts finished and sent for this month and today is only the 6th! I haven't even taken scissors to fabric yet. Can't wait to see the pictures!

I received my red, white & blue quilt from Jaba. It was quite a surprise, it is in the shape of a star. I would love to have the pattern if you be so kind as to tell me where you got it. Thank you so much. I plan on using it on my kitchen table. I will post a pic in a little, headed out sewing tonight.

Ooftah, BuzzinBumble, lol! Not amazing -- stitching when I should be dusting, cooking, mopping, etc. but that's no fun! The hardest part is coming up with what you're going to make. If I have an idea, I'm already ahead of the game. When I get started having fun, I just can't stop unless I get stumped along the way. I ran into a small glitsch on this latest one but I punted and added more fabric, haha.

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast