Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Up May 2013 Doll Quilt Swap - Theme Quilty Chaos - Crazy Quilts

Blog Entries
    Guess what I just posted?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Senior Member Crazy Quiltin Robin's Avatar
    About 10 yrs ago I had to have chemo to try to stop this crazy nerve thing happening in my body. my hair pretty much took a left turn somewhere far away.. and my incoming hair was.. well as my son put it chia pet hair. thanks kid. The upside is these things pass, its only hair and I wish you some incredible doo rags. My neighbor bought some killer ones online wish I had seen those! I will hope Robin that life gives you sunshine.

Linda Thanks so much for your kind words .... I saved my old doo rags and my baseball caps .... will be at the Dr. Tomorrow ..... where are you moving to .... don't forget to take us along ..... happy quilting ... CQR
    Crazy Quiltin Robin

Blog Entries
    I am soon be joining the folliclely challenged. I have something icky on the side of my head and of course the dermatologist can't just look at it and give me some cream or lotion. Nope. She has to shave the hair off and then shave whatever it is off. Not looking forward to this one, but considering the bravery of Robin, Linda and so many others, I'll pull up my big girl panties and try not to squirm while she has a scalpel in hand.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Sending Argentium's quilt off tomorrow. Here is a sneak peek!

Blog Entries
    It looks like my pictures are not posting as I had planned. I am using my iPad so I guess tomorrow I will have to use my big pooter to post it so y'all can see it. Till then.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    I am soon be joining the folliclely challenged. I have something icky on the side of my head and of course the dermatologist can't just look at it and give me some cream or lotion. Nope. She has to shave the hair off and then shave whatever it is off. Not looking forward to this one, but considering the bravery of Robin, Linda and so many others, I'll pull up my big girl panties and try not to squirm while she has a scalpel in hand.
    So sorry to hear that Krystina, you have already had your share of misfortune. Time to pass that baton on!
    hope everything goes smoothly and you have a quick regrow!

Blog Entries
    Foo. I don't like waiting.
    Krystyna

buslady glade you liked your DQ had fun trying new stiches on my SE with metallic thread. If you would like to try using metallic thread on your sewing machine lower your tension ( both top and bottom ) to 0. Then move them up one at a time till get the look you wont. Mine is 1.0 and 1.0. and use a top stich 80 needle. Thank you for the nice comments. I love doing these DQ. You do the same thing with monofilament thread but us a 70 or 80 sharp needle.

I put marscrafter's little crazy in the mail.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Foo. I don't like waiting.
    There's always wigs and some really beautiful ones at that! Not to be poking fun at you but if the shaved area isn't too big and is in the right spot, maybe you could camouflage it with a beautiful silk flower covering the bald spot! My hair usually looks so bad I should shave it all off and wear a wig all the time. I can make it look pretty for special occasions if I get up early enough though. The rest of the time I'd rather be holding fabric rather than plastic rollers (oh, yes, I use the pink ones!)

Blog Entries
    Krystyna, shame on you!!! You made me late for work this morning. I got in my closet to choose a shirt for the day and noticed the label in the neck. Well, I didn't have time to cut them, but I think I looked at every label in the closet!! WOW!! I never paid attention to them before. I WILL NOT collect labels!! But, when I have time, I will clip them and send them to K. I thought I was the only one that looks at everyday items and sees art. LOL I go shopping for something in particular and cannot find what I want, I end up looking all over the store for something I can "make work".
    So glad to see your spirits up CQ, you seem like the kind of person that takes what she is handed and deals with it. I only hope to be half that gracious if I am handed those cards.
    K-- Think possitive. DH had a couple of UGLY things took off his back a while ago. My DD has some nasty looking ones on her back, I wish she would go have them taken care of. I took her to a dermatologist when younger, he was freezing them off. Squirted them with that cold stuff in a stainless container, it would take off a layer, then 2 weeks later he would do it again. Months of this and they were still there. Smaller, sorer, but there. Best to just get it over with IMHO. Keep us posted!! But I am going with possitive thinkingl. It is nothing!!
    Juanita, I wish I had someone close to work with on the machine embroydery. I learn from doing and do not have the patience to figure it out on my own. Soon as something goes wrong, I go elsewhere.
    I bookmarked June's swap, but not sure I can do it. Boooooooo Hooooooooo!! We'll see. I have the long weekend to see what I accomplish. I am getting very excited about my trip. Need to get some work done!! Bye for now
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Onalee, if you ever get to go to a vintage clothing shop take a look at the labels there. They are amazing! While they are certainly material for "art" I wonder about the people who run the label machines and the women who stitch them into the clothing. That has to be one tedious job.

As for the hair thing ... my hair was quite long before the flood. While we were cleaning out I just felt like I could never get it clean and so I hacked it off myself. Well, that did not look too good at all. It looked so very much not so good that I was embarrassed to even walk into Supercuts for a fast fix up. So now, having it short, my bald patch will really show. I keep thinking about a nun at our old parish who had a huge spot shaved off on the top of her head and thinking -- ha! that's what you get for tossing your traditional habit aside. If you still had a veil it wouldn't show! This thing has been there for years and I kept putting it off. Finally I decided that after the wedding I'd take care of it. I'm just such a big baby when it comes to medical stuff. My mom had something on her face and they kept slicing and looking under a microscope until they were satisfied it was done. The poor thing was about to have a nervous breakdown. It was either right on her nose or next to it. I felt so bad for her. Now it's my turn.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Ok as promised last night, I am on my big pooter now so here are the sneak peaks of Argentiums quilt that goes in the mail today! It ended up a tad frew, frew as I never plan these things and create as I go. I hope she doesn't mind. It isn't really traditional, but sort of a modern take with an old world look, lol! All items used are vintage!
    Name:  Doll Quilt 2photo.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  171.7 KB
    Name:  Doll Quilt 1photo.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  208.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Oooooo! Gorgeous!
    Krystyna

Never let yourself pick up hair cutting implements when you are under stress or depressed. I never seem to learn that lesson. I must say though Krystyna that your hair was beautiful for Blaze's wedding! Hopefully you can poof it up enough to hide your temporary bald spot. I hope they get your icky thing off without any pain and that you can avoid sleeping on that side of your head.

Bertie my hair is like yours. Yup, sometimes a wig would seem easier indeed. For my daughter's wedding last weekend I resorted to buying industrial strength spray and creating a helmet head. Or so I thought. They had photos before the ceremony and it was windy. I looked pretty funny when we came in. I was a real hoot....owl. Between that and my dress, which never once stopped shedding glitter the whole night, it was pretty humorous. Everyone and everything I touched got glittered. My kids and the guests had fun with it though...it became a running joke of "you hugged my Mom, didn't you."

When a friend had cancer and needed a nice wig, all the ladies in our church got together and held "A Hair Raising Event". She wore it when she needed to be fancy, but the doo rags were more comfortable. Her hair grew back baby fine and curly.
    Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 05-24-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Cogito, your quilt sneak peak is so pretty! But what does "frew" mean?

Blog Entries
    Haha, I did not spell it the correct French way....Frou Frou for ease in pronouncing It means: showy or frilly ornamentation. I meant it came out a little more feminine looking than I originally envisioned. But I love it!
    Last edited by Cogito; 05-24-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Lara, I just noticed your Sig line and I love, love, love it! That is going to be my new mantra.

Mercy Buckoo Cogito! LOL
    "Little girly" feminine is why it is so sweet!

Blog Entries
    Love the quilt..love vintage! Krystyna, I hope you can just do a "comb over" and hope it is an easy booboo to fix.

Robin so glad you are home...around here we wear ball caps when we lose our hair!

Happy Birthday, Nancy...Krystyna sent you some great cakes!!!

Bertie you still use those pink curlers??? My sister loved "spoolies". Oh my goodness!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I might just get rid of it all in solidarity with Robin. Waaaaay back in the late 1960s when I was living in a yoga ashram (don't ask) I had hair that was almost down to my knees. The guy in charge told me I was too attached to my hair and to cut it. I did. Two friends from the ashram who were beauticians went to work on it after hours ... and if memory serves there was some "herbal enhancement" of their skills involved. They kept snipping and snipping and it got really short. Because it was so used to the weight of the long hair, it just boinged up and I looked like a squirrel! I should mention that I was working at National Lampoon magazine at the time ... Chevy Chase owned the townhouse next door to the ashram ... and suffice it to say, my new hair-do gave them some wonderful material.
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    I might just get rid of it all in solidarity with Robin. Waaaaay back in the late 1960s when I was living in a yoga ashram (don't ask) I had hair that was almost down to my knees. The guy in charge told me I was too attached to my hair and to cut it. I did. Two friends from the ashram who were beauticians went to work on it after hours ... and if memory serves there was some "herbal enhancement" of their skills involved. They kept snipping and snipping and it got really short. Because it was so used to the weight of the long hair, it just boinged up and I looked like a squirrel! I should mention that I was working at National Lampoon magazine at the time ... Chevy Chase owned the townhouse next door to the ashram ... and suffice it to say, my new hair-do gave them some wonderful material.
    Wow, your life sounds FUN!!! Wish I lived closer, would love all the stories.

my may dq from LilRain

im a bad swap partner..and late in thanking LilRain for this sew pretty gift!! Ive been down with a sinus infection and out of touch here on the board......but bouncing back ! Here is a pic.......i just love the pink/green and they way she pieced it. She even hand sewn the binding!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oooo! I love that color combination!
    Krystyna

Working on the embelishments on my crazy quilt and almost had to start all over. I forgot to change the plate from straight stitch to the zigziag plate.....UGH I still may have to remake. I am have a small hole in the middle and if I can't find something to applique over it I will remake. I can keep this one for me. Good thing I don't go back to work until Tuesday.

Will see what happens.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast