Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins

Old 12-18-2020, 07:14 AM

Default New York Beauty

Hi all, I didn't know what a New York beauty was but the images on bing are fantastic, and it opens up the borders to some WONDERFUL possibilities for sure. I don't mind the person after me being international, the six posts would be all my cost. I just shipped 3 packages internationally, one to my gf in AU, one to my gf in Chile, and one to my December pal to Europe (just in case she is lurking LOL). I have always figured 2 weeks for international, and 3 to AU (although it has arrived once in a while in 10 days). It just means a shortened turnaround time for me and my recipient, and that's ok. I do agree that it is a nice gesture to post photos so the person after you can get some ideas and inspiration while you are working on yours. My last round was definitely in conjunction with the ideas of one last border by the recipient, she will be adding a header and showed me the colors of her intended last border, so I chose my border colors and design so as to coordinate with her intent and the overall quilt design. I also created a private album for photos of my progress so my recipient could start the creative juices before receiving the quilt. And yes, I would figure on two weekends of sewing/ cutting/ planning, that gives one weekend for a cushion and the last one is mailing. I'm very excited again, my top turned out great and I can't wait to see this next round robin.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:32 AM

I loved having everyone write a little about themselves in the journal I sent and getting back the signed quilt label. I got back some wonderful photos of the gals in my group, of their sewing rooms, of their lives and of their inspiration, I will keep and treasure that forever. I think if the group decides it is ok to send extra fabric, that should also be a group decision. I loved having background fabric for the top and some coordinating fabrics. I know some people like every border in their top to be 100% different and I think that is perfectly ok, and I have no problem with that, but my preference is to tie things in with a coordinating fabric. I like to use at least one of the center fabrics in each of my borders if it is possible. I searched 5 different stores to find a coordinating green polka dot fabric for one of the rounds that matched a center fabric to go into my border for one of the rounds. Of course, I am also ok with messaging the owner of the center for additional coordinating fabric for my borders if we agree not to send additional fabric with the packages. I don't mind the extra fabric because I don't mind the extra shipping, which is why I volunteer to ship internationally if someone wants to sign up from overseas, put them after me in the shipping order. Hugs all!!
Old 12-18-2020, 09:19 AM

I’m going to have to sit this one out. I went back and looked at all the glorious pictures of the last round robin. I have a couple worries for me.:

I just don’t think my skills are up to doing those small blocks quite yet.
Our hospitals have run out of beds due to Covid and my family has decided to limit shopping trips etc. My stash isn’t big enough to accommodate RR needs. Do you think this is a good excuse to increase my stash for the next round robin?

Mona I was considering sending a simplified NY beauty block Id already made. I made two of them for medallion quilts. I’ve started one of the medallion quilts, so I’ll work on that. I’ll save the other NY beauty block for the next time someone does a round robin. Oops after taking the picture I see I’ve already started the borders on that one too. I used a Craftsy class to learn how to make the NYbeauty

I’ll be lurking in the background, getting motivated by your wonderful ideas to finish these medallion quilts. Enjoy the round robin.

Attached Thumbnails 3e7736a1-55de-477a-b8df-49f721913955.jpeg   c1fa9c88-96f3-4ec2-b0b3-6aaf23879a4a.jpeg  

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 12-18-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:11 AM

Beautiful MJP
I also don't mind shipping international. I was part of an international RR several years ago and didn't have any issues.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Mona, is this swap open internationally? I would think it too risky, let alone expensive and time consuming, to mail the quilts out of the U.S.
Each quilt will be mailed 6 times, so 6 international postage fees, and 6 chances at the quilt being lost or delayed while out of country. Plus, I don't think tracking is available internationally.
Yes, the RR is open to everyone. Once the group is finalized the group will decide if we need to change the mail dates for the larger rounds to give us more sewing time due to the mail delays all over the world.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:53 PM

Rebaquilts & Mona, It will be a pleaseure to sew with you both... I look forward to sewing with possitive & talented sewers from across the pond. I wish you all a wonderful Christmas and an amazing 2021. Lets start the new year in style.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mona G View Post
Thanks so much SBG for your comments on how to make it run smoother.
may I ask, what is SBG?
oh- never mind- brain ( fart) sorry
I sometimes get lost when initials are used for so many different things.

Last edited by ckcowl; 12-18-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:34 PM

Sometimes we shorten a users board name just because, so SBG is SewBizGirl. Hugs!! Reba (the blonde one who also sings) Quilts LOL
Old 12-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Mona, I really want to join but will need to let you know for sure on Monday. I am getting a 2nd opinion on my thumb/wrist and as long as he doesn't say I need surgery, I would love to be part of the new group if there is still room. I am fine with international as well. I'll keep you updated.

I've had 2 cortisone injections in different places and neither has helped at all. The first doctor said there isn't really anything else we can do. It isn't that I want to have surgery, but I would like to see if the second doctor has any other ideas. I figure if I have to live with the pain I might as well have fun sewing and the last Round Robin was a bright spot for me in my sewing room.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by jacquie View Post
Rebaquilts & Mona, It will be a pleaseure to sew with you both... I look forward to sewing with possitive & talented sewers from across the pond. I wish you all a wonderful Christmas and an amazing 2021. Lets start the new year in style.
Yeah! So happy to have you in this group, and I have to say, I love Scotland, I'm an Outlander fanatic, read all the books and subscribe to Starz just for this series. Went there a few years ago to do the sights and swam in Loch Ness (brrrrr). Hugs!!