Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap >

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 PM

Marcia, I will be on the look out for the package and let you know when I receive it. Thank you for the Magazines and the pin cushion I can't wait to see them when they get here.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:21 PM

Libster, beautiful blocks I love Blues.

Last edited by Armylady2012; 12-12-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
How does everyone envision a finished top? Blocks with or without sashing?
I will be making a companion block to go with my churns, using 54 40 or Fight block pattern in green with WOW background, to continue the garden feel.. with darker green pointy parts and then squares of descending light green going out of the middle to get a chain affect across the quilt.. I have the Tri Rec templates to help make the blocks.. Here is a picture of the quilt that inspired me to use the 54 40 Or Fight block as a companion.. http://www.maryquilts.com/new-churn-dash-stars/
Old 12-12-2017, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Libster View Post
I've done these two sets this morning. Pictures are laying on my couch, there's no sun out now. They are straight, they just don't look like it laying there on that cushion.
Gorgeous!!
Old 12-12-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
For any of you that are new to quilting, I found these charts on Pinterest.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/502644008403637949/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/502644008403637953/

Math is not my strong suit. I am always appreciative when others are their to share their knowledge. This will make it so much easier for me in putting my quilt tops together.

It's also a good idea to figure out the size you like your quilts. I like mine to be about 90 x 108, give or take a little. That works well on my Queen size bed. I don't do a ton of overhang. Just a personal choice.
Just a quick note, if you use sashing and/or plan a border or even add some plain floral blocks (unpieced, just the fabric speaking for itself), you wont need that many blocks to do a bigger quilt! 72 blocks can feel daunting. Or maybe put the blocks on point. There are ways to spread 'em out for a bigger top.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:42 AM

Crispy...My favorite is on point with double sashing. Then I have triangles that fit around and sometimes a one inch framing border and then two outer borders. Color??? depends on what Armylady sends me. I have plenty of that pink rose fabric, so if I get a lot of pinks it will be that, but pink is out of favor right now with the public. I forget who, but someone said all quilts should have some black in them. Maybe not this one.

My goal is to get a lot of UFOs done and out of the way before I get my churn dash blocks back.
And to stop spending more money.
I'll need 18 blocks for the pattern I'm thinking of. Two extra for pillows?

Marcia
Old 12-13-2017, 04:07 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585265[/ATTACH]This is the pattern I will use. This one is waiting for me to get some other stuff done and then goes on the long arm. I bought Angela Walter's new quilting rulers (4 of them) yesterday and will make another attempt to use that long arm. This one has cornerstone sashing.
Attached Thumbnails 20171017_102517_resized.jpg  
Old 12-13-2017, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
I will be making a companion block to go with my churns, using 54 40 or Fight block pattern in green with WOW background, to continue the garden feel.. with darker green pointy parts and then squares of descending light green going out of the middle to get a chain affect across the quilt.. I have the Tri Rec templates to help make the blocks.. Here is a picture of the quilt that inspired me to use the 54 40 Or Fight block as a companion.. http://www.maryquilts.com/new-churn-dash-stars/
Oh my goodness, I LOVE that quilt. It sure is going to make these churns shine. Thanks for sharing this find. And here I thought I had exhausted making Churn Dash blocks. Maybe there is one more in my future. lol
Old 12-13-2017, 04:16 AM

Libster, Beautiful blocks. I am very partial to blue.

Battle Axe, pink is out of favor? Oh well, I think if you love pink, you should go for it. (If of course the quilt is for you.) I don't think there's a scrap of black in my quilt at all. Just lots and lots of white. I love the crisp look to it. Of course, it means I have to watch the dogs very carefully with it. Also, great setting. I like it a lot. I've never done an on point quilt. Also, the quilt pictured is beautiful. The colors are so harmonious.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:04 AM

I combined the instructions for Rest and Refreshing by Debbie Thompson McInnis and Better by the Dozen by Susan Teasdale Dissmore. Better by the dozen is a book that shows 12 blocks and 12 ways to put them together. Rest and Refreshing is an over the internet block of the week. I think I'll use some of my Bonnie Hunter Hersheys' chocolate for the one inch framing border. I just need something dark to catch the eye and fram the quilt on the bed. I make almost nothing but Queen size.

At the local quilt auctions, pink just doesn't sell well.