Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Strip Swap 2 1/2" CLOSED October 2010 FINISHED >

Strip Swap 2 1/2" CLOSED October 2010 FINISHED

Strip Swap 2 1/2" CLOSED October 2010 FINISHED

Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 AM

Quilting Board 2 ½” Strip Swap
Mail between September 1 and September 13, 2010
1. This swap is for 2 ½” X Width of Fabric (WOF) Strips…hereafter referred to as NOODLES.
2. In 1 small bag place 1 NOODLE of 5 DIFFERENT FABRICS.
3. MAXIMUM number of bags is 12 – (total of 60 strips!) (That’s about 4 yards of fabric!)
4. You may send any number of small bags containing 5 different NOODLES… …. …. ***If you want to use up leftover fabric, take your fabric and cut your NOODLES. Make piles and put ONE NOODLE in each pile, don’t duplicate the NOODLE in the same pile. When you get 5 different NOODLES in one pile – put it in a small bag. ***If you want to use up yardage, take 5 different fabrics, cut 12 NOODLES from each. Then make 12 piles containing 1 NOODLE from each fabric. Mix things up – use what you have – use yardage and pieces ***Send in 3 bags – send in 8 bags – send in 12 bags*** ***It’s up to you***
5. WASH, Press and Cut Fabric VERY CAREFULLY. Washing fabric before cutting is required for removal of chemical allergens, shrinkage, and colorfastness. (No rules about fabric softeners or starches.) Pressing and cutting is important for properly shaped NOODLES. After cutting your fabric, open it up and make sure it is STRAIGHT the entire WOF.
6. Fabric Info: Fabric must be 100% cotton in any color. NO homespun, NO thin fabrics, NO specific holidays or NO licensed characters. No Easter, No Christmas, No Mickey Mouse, No Dora, No Batman, etc. Please send what you would love to receive.
7. Label Each Small Bag with your Board name. Swappers will know who sent which small bag.
8. Packaging Info: Place your small bags in a larger plastic close bag. Write or tape ON THE BAG your real name, entire mailing address, number of bags enclosed and your Quilting Board name. Things happen during transit. If the outside envelope/box opens, hopefully everything stays in the big bag with your information.
9. Priority volume: I was able to get 36 noodles into a Small Flat Rate Priority box and 48 noodles in a Flat Rate Cardboard Envelope. These were not in any bags. I didn’t check Priority mylar envelopes because I think those are based on weight and distance.
10. Postage Info: **For Priority mail (which is the easiest for both of us) include a Self-Addressed Priority Label and a Priority Stamp or cash so I can return the noodles to you. I will have Priority mailers here to send back. **For First Class mailing, send a self-addressed STAMPED return envelope that has the same amount (if not a little more) postage STAMPS (not metered stamps) ON THE ENVELOPE. When I receive your noodles I will make sure your return envelope contains the same amount of stamps that it took you to mail them to me…then all should be fine when I mail back to you. For First Class mailing do not send cash for me to purchase stamps at the post office. That gets too confusing.
11. Sign Up Info: To join the swap, please post the number of bags you believe you will swap on this thread. Also send me a PM with the number of bags, your real name, full mailing address, and e-mail address. I will add you to the Activites Page for this swap: http://www.quiltingboard.com/group_a...jsp?gracnum=66 I will provide my mailing information closer to the mailing deadline.
12. Deadline Info: SIGN UP by Saturday, August 28. MAIL your package between Wednesday, September 1 and (the deadline to mail) Monday, September 13. Please no earlier - no later. I should be able to mail back by September 21.
13. Communicate Regularly: Post and let us know where you’re at in the swapping process.
14. Disclaimer: A reality when swapping on line is that you must be prepared to accept fabrics you wouldn't normally choose for yourself. When you swap with ‘strangers’, you should expect to get some "strange" in return. Anyone who isn't prepared for this shouldn't swap online. As hostess I will communicate when on line and return the swap quickly. Swappers need to ask questions if they don’t understand and follow the rules posted above. Send what you would love to receive. If you have any ISSUES, please contact me through PM and not on the open thread.
15. Hostess address (will be sent closer to mailing time) __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
***Activities Page** http://www.quiltingboard.com/group_a...racnum=66#8377
***See Conniequilts quilt top using strips
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56862-1.htm
**See C.Cal Quilt Girl's picture on page 5 of bags ready to mail**
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-56126-5.htm

Printable Instructions
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69661[/ATTACH]

3rd & 4th row - 9 green strips from L to R and 5 blue strips R to L See #4and 5 piles have 4 strips & others have 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70146[/ATTACH]

Next row/all same fabric - 2 piles are done (5 different in each)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70160[/ATTACH]

Noodle cut straight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70352[/ATTACH]

12 piles laid out on table - all same fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70354[/ATTACH]

Second row using different fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70355[/ATTACH]

12 bags of 5 different fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70358[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70141.jpe   attachment-70155.jpe   attachment-70347.jpe   attachment-70349.jpe   attachment-70350.jpe  

attachment-70353.jpe  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-69656.pdf (91.2 KB, 507 views)
Old 07-25-2010, 05:19 AM

This swap sounds like a lot of fun. Put me down for 4 bags. Sending you a PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:42 AM

Ok - great!
Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 AM

put my name on list. Don't know how many as yet
Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 AM

Ok - thanks for joining!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 AM

I might join... Let me think about it
Old 07-25-2010, 07:36 AM

Sure let me know - even if it's after you get started cutting.

KatFish signed up for 4 bags. All she has to do is get 5 fabrics and cut 4 strips from each. Or use a variety of different fabrics. She'll get 20 different strips back. Very Easy!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Yeah but I'm running a swap and signed up for two others. I probably will. I just need to contemplate it a day or two :)
Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 AM

I understand about not wanting to have too many pots on the stove.

If you pull out any fabric to cut, slice off some 2 1/2" strips and put them to the side. Before you know it you'll have enough to swap.

Have a great day!
Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 AM

This sounds like a great first swap/exchange for me to be in! Yeah :) I'm too nervous to exchange blocks yet since I'm such a beginner, but strips I can manage! How fun.

I just have to figure out how many I want to make.