Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Summer 5" Charm Swap - Color Theme: (Purples) >

Summer 5" Charm Swap - Color Theme: (Purples)

Summer 5" Charm Swap - Color Theme: (Purples)

Old 06-25-2017, 09:05 AM

mine were all dark purples.....I could use some light ones............Jane Q
Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 AM

Darn. I'm going to have to go shopping in the morning. I only have 11 purples in my stash. I just hate fabric shopping!

I'll get them cut tomorrow evening, and in the mail ASAP.

The purples in my stash are nearly all "grape jelly" purples. I'll see if I can find some lighter ones to mix in. Contrast is a GOOD thing!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:42 AM

How about blue, green, or light neutrals next? Black and white prints might also be fun...
Old 06-26-2017, 05:18 AM

Welcome to the swap Tumdarra and Annie Quilts. I believe we are at 20 swappers!! Wowza~!

Laura: I received your package in the mail this weekend. Please email me your screen name so I can mark off the correct swapper, thanks!

Jane and Faintly: I haven't even started thinking about a next swap.

The last swap I had originally asked for input as to the next color. I, of course, got suggestions of every color and hue of the rainbow. Most likely, I will put them all in a hat and just pull one, as I won't be able to take every single suggestion. But I will worry about that once this swap is complete.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:33 AM

Good morning, ladies,

I have received a fair number of emails from swappers concerned about the fabrics they want to swap, so I am going to try to clarify what is can acceptable swap fabric. (okay, I can HEAR you groaning....LOL).

There are some traditional "quilting rules" about color many of you hold near and dear to your hearts. Me? not so much...if I like the color, I use it, regardless of rules. Yes....I'm a rebel that way.

For example, we are swapping "purples". One of the quilting color rules is if the fabric has a white background with a purple design, it would be considered a "white". But for the color swaps I am putting together, I am only asking that 80% of the 5" square has purple in it. This would mean your design, while not technically a "purple" because it is on a white background, would be acceptable for this swap.

I am rule-bending because, like many of you, I like to mix and match but still want a basic color theme. So to have lights and darks is very acceptable to me, and I hope it is to everyone swapping, too. There may be some who will drop out of my swaps because they are much more advanced with color than I am, but I hope not too many.

As a conservative mid-west girl, I love being able to finally bend a rule and not get "too caught" (hehehe). I hope I can sway my friends here on the board to be rule-benders with me, because....quite frankly.....being naughty is no fun when you are alone.

If anyone has questions or concerns, please PM me.....I try to respond quickly.

Okay......Who wants to be a Rebel Rule Bender with me?!?!
Chris
Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 AM

I guess I bend the rules too Red! I like the contrast of the light and dark, I can't imagine making a quilt without it. Just checked tracking and my package is out for delivery to you. It should arrive today...
Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 AM

Got the rest of my purples purchased, and will start cutting this evening. Woo hoo!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:11 AM

I'll gladly break quilting rules! I look at color regardless of background color. If it "reads" purple, it goes in that stack. The prettiest quilts are the ones that break the rules in my book....I don't like things too matched or they tend to look boring!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Mine are in the mail! Should be received on Wednesday!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Good morning, ladies,

I have received a fair number of emails from swappers concerned about the fabrics they want to swap, so I am going to try to clarify what is can acceptable swap fabric. (okay, I can HEAR you groaning....LOL)

As a conservative mid-west girl, I love being able to finally bend a rule and not get "too caught" (hehehe). I hope I can sway my friends here on the board to be rule-benders with me, because....quite frankly.....being naughty is no fun when you are alone.

If anyone has questions or concerns, please PM me.....I try to respond quickly.

Okay......Who wants to be a Rebel Rule Bender with me?!?!
Chris
You don't have to convince me; I like your 80% rule. I usually decide color by how the fabric "reads". Although I 've been quilting for over 30 years, I've only heard about the background color "rule" on Quilting Board.