Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer I Spy Swap

Summer I Spy Swap

Hello Swappers,

Owlvamp is taking a break from hosting the I Spy swap and I am stepping in to host a summer swap. Please read this entire post carefully before you sign up for the swap!

Summer I Spy Swap:
    Signups are open until Aug 10
    Swaps need to be in my hands by Aug 20

Who's up for swapping I Spy squares again? It's time.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take your time cutting and be sure you have correct 5" squares. I will be taking squares out of their bags, to check the cuts if they look off. In one of our swaps I unfortunately had to return bundles of squares that were cut too small or not fussy cut. This time, your name will be on every one of your bags and if your squares are found to be cut wrong, you will be expected to send replacements to whoever received the bad ones, in order to stay in good standing as an I Spy swapper. Nobody wants to deal with that hassle and extra expense, so please take the time to cut well and check your squares before you put them in those bags. Le'ts have all good squares this time.

Please pay CLOSE ATTENTION to the new cutting and packaging method.

CUTTING/PACKAGING METHOD:
    We will be sending 10 DIFFERENT fabrics in each bag we swap. All your bags can have the same mixture in them, or different, but you cannot repeat fabrics in any one bag. We will be swapping bag for bag, so there must be 10 different fabrics in each bag. Please put your board name and state on every bag you are swapping. For instance, "rbwiese TN" for mine...

You may swap either 8 bags or 16 bags. You will get 8 - 5" squares in one width of fabric, PROVIDING your print does not require fussy cutting. If it does, you will get less cuts out your yardage. PLEASE FUSSY CUT if your print requires it. Send the kind of nice squares you hope to receive. Choose to make and swap either 8 or 16 bags. Anything less than 8 is not cost-effective for you (shipping) and is not time-effective for me. So either 8 or 16, please.

THE USUAL 'STUFF':
    1. Send what you would like to receive, quality-wise. Send only 100% cotton quilting fabric. Please do not send thin or loosely woven fabrics. If it has to be starched to be acceptable, it's probably not a good fabric for this swap.

2. Try and find new prints you have not sent before or seen in the swap, if at all possible. We all like new stuff! Please select prints that would be acceptable in a child's quilt. No flowers, lines, stars, geometrics, batiks. We need recognizable objects. If I find unusable fabrics in your baggies, I will return all to you unswapped.

3. THEN, pm me (rbwiese) and tell me you want to join and how many bags you intend to swap. I need your real name and address. I will respond to you with my mailing address for you to mail your swaps to me.

4. Put all your swap baggies in one big ziplock with your name and mailing address, as well as your board name. That will keep them together in your package and if it happens to get torn open in shipment, your address will be there for the P.O. to return to you. Speaking of "torn open"... those paper flat rate envelopes are the pits. They tear so easily, especially with lumpy contents in them. Do yourself a favor and use something better-- like the Tyvek envelopes or padded flat rate envelopes. You have to order the latter from the post office online, in packages of 10, but they are free. If you do it NOW, you will have your envelopes in time to mail.

5. Postage: I will be taking these straight to the post office and ship in the padded flat rate envelopes. Please send a return address label. The price of shipping has just taken a big jump. It now costs $6.80 for the padded flat rate envelope. Please send cash Or stamps. Hide it among the baggies or in a Baggie of its own. Just let me know where to look for it. Thanks

Remember to send in what you would like to receive back.
    Let’s have tons of fun, and of course you have to follow all the basic QB swap rules, found here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm

TO SIGN UP, send me a pm with your name, address, and how many sets you want to swap (8 or 16). Then get cutting!
    Last edited by rbwiese; 07-22-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    One day, when I am frayed and strained and drizzle at the end, please someone cut a square and put me in a quilt that I might keep a child comforted.

Winter I Spy Swap

Blog Entries
    I am glad to see this up and running again. Rbwiese thank you for stepping up and helping out. You ladies take good care of her. Have fun!!!
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Power Poster
    I am glad that you are emphasizing to fussy cut designs that "should be" fussy cut.

Even "scatter" designs seem to have areas that are "better " than others for a five-inch square.

bearisgray - you are right - fussy cutting is really important in this swap. It helps to cut a 5" square of maybe the template plastic or other even a "hole" in some cardstock or cardboard and place it over your design to get an idea of you the print looks when cut.

Also I want to emphasize the type of fabrics to be used - good quality cottons, items a child recognizes quickly, no batiks, quilting prints. I received several of these in the last swap, but didn't say anything.

I also have had some questions - what is an I Spy quilt? So here are some links giving a variety of quilts using these blocks.

http://www.piecesbypolly.com/2013/03...orn-quilt.html
    http://lollyquiltz.blogspot.com/2011...-tutorial.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUK5kcspMgY
    http://treadlequilts.blogspot.com/20...by-quilts.html
    http://obsessivelystitching.blogspot...-heartstrings/
    http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/03/...uilt.html#more
    http://beatnikkids.com/2010/09/i-spy...t-tutoria.html

As you can see - I love searching out new ideas for using my I Spy blocks. Your scraps can be used as piano key borders, half square triangles to surround blocks, etc.

Come join our fun!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-27-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: link requires sign up
    One day, when I am frayed and strained and drizzle at the end, please someone cut a square and put me in a quilt that I might keep a child comforted.

Winter I Spy Swap

Blog Entries
    I am in. I just love these I spy swaps.
    Clmay
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Glad ti have you Clmay!

There are a few things to do with I Spy squares besides quilts -

Placemats http://beatnikkids.com/2010/09/i-spy...t-tutoria.html

A Book http://www.skiptomylou.org/fabric-i-spy-book/ http://babybrainstorm.blogspot.com/2...uilt-book.html

Travel game http://www.stitchedbycrystal.com/201...avel-game.html

Come join our Summer Swap!

Winter I Spy Swap

I will sign up too-will try to get my Mom to sign up also-she will have to join the board first though. I hope we have enough to do this!

Sounds great - enlist all of your relatives and friends!

Winter I Spy Swap

Blog Entries
    I am in for 16 bags!

Quiltingdragon - glad to have you. If you will, please pm me your information.

So far we have:
    rbwiese 16 bags
    clmay 16 bags
    jarenie 16 bags
    bkay 16 bags
    quiltingdragon 16 bags

Winter I Spy Swap

Is it ok if all 16 bags are the same? I only did 8 last time, so wasn't concerned.
    bkay

For 16 bags, you need 10 fabrics for one set and 10 different fabrics for the second set of 8. Cuts down on duplication of squares for each person to receive.

Winter I Spy Swap

Blog Entries
    All my bags are going to be different. I tried to even out the "categories" of stuff per bag. I found two more bags of squares. How is it possible that I still have over 1000 I spy squares even after making 3 quilts (1 king size with almost 600 squares, and two large baby/small lap). I am pulling out non-fussy cuts, small repeating prints, etc and will cut them down into other sizes to use with my scraps or swap in the 2 1/2 inch square swap. But I still have an overflowing drawer! If anyone has a specific square/theme they are looking for, let me know either by PM or posting here and I will see if I have it and send it along with your name on to slide in your package.

quiltingdragon - you sound like me! I have more squares than I think I have used. I think they are like rabbits and multiply in the dark!

Winter I Spy Swap

I am going to leave the signups open for a bit to try to get more swappers - maybe when everyone gets back in school more will be interested. If you know of anyone who might be interested - send them an invitation.

Rena

Winter I Spy Swap

Ok - here is where we stand so far.

So far we have:
    rbwiese 16 bags
    clmay 16 bags
    jarenie 16 bags - received
    bkay 16 bags
    quiltingdragon 16 bags
    jannie - 8 bags

If we can get 2 more to join, we won't receive any repeats of fabrics. So send out the word to your friends here.

Winter I Spy Swap

I'm in for 16. Thanks for doing this!

I'd like to join, 16 sets.
    "The past beats inside me like a second heart". -John Banville, The Sea

Uh oh. Houston, we may have a problem.

I read over the rules, just finished getting 16 sets ready to mail, and PM'ed you back to officially sign up, but then I saw this (below) on page 2 of the thread. About half of my sets are identical, but the second half "overlaps" the first half a bit. In other words, some of the squares can be found in nearly all of my sets. Will this be a problem, or are there enough swappers now that it won't be an issue? I can change it to 8 sets if necessary, and can just save the other sets for a later swap.

Quote Originally Posted by rbwiese View Post
    For 16 bags, you need 10 fabrics for one set and 10 different fabrics for the second set of 8. Cuts down on duplication of squares for each person to receive.

Moonrise - I hope we will get enough swappers so that duplications will be rare. Some people like to have pairs so that they can make a quilt as a matching game. Plus I gave some links here early on with things to make other than quilts - a roll-up travel game, placemats, etc. The placemats have been a hit here at my local Ronald McDonald House - sometimes there are siblings that have to wait out the time while a child is in our children's hospital.

And I am thinking optimistically - that we will have at least 16 sign up! Had a big day yesterday.

Winter I Spy Swap

Here are the sign-ups as I have them:

rbwiese 16 bags
    clmay 16 bags
    jarenie 16 bags - received
    bkay 16 bags
    quiltingdragon 16 bags
    jannie - 8 bags
    Irene C. - 16 bags
    Moonrise - 16 bags
    Bullock2us - 16 bags
    Pinkflowers - 16 bags
    lum - 16 bags

If you have not sent me a PM with your personal information please do. And if I failed to send my mailing info, please let me know. Sometimes I read the messages and then fail to respond back, oops!

Winter I Spy Swap

Quote Originally Posted by rbwiese View Post
    Moonrise - I hope we will get enough swappers so that duplications will be rare. Some people like to have pairs so that they can make a quilt as a matching game. Plus I gave some links here early on with things to make other than quilts - a roll-up travel game, placemats, etc. The placemats have been a hit here at my local Ronald McDonald House - sometimes there are siblings that have to wait out the time while a child is in our children's hospital.

And I am thinking optimistically - that we will have at least 16 sign up! Had a big day yesterday.
    Awesome! I'll get them in the mail in the morning. It says it'll only take 1 day to arrive since we're practically neighbors.

I plan on making some of the I Spy roll-ups for my craft fairs this year. Those are SO cute, and should be fast and easy, too (that's always a plus!)!

Do we have a new "due date" yet? (I have enough squares to do it, but have some new ones I'm still cutting, so I'll probably be at the last minute.)

bkay

There is one new sign-up today so that makes us at 12. Will ask all of you - if you want your squares soon for projects coming up, let me know. Or if you are ok waiting a bit to cut down on duplications, then I will wait another week or so and have mail date by the 31st.

Winter I Spy Swap

I am fine to wait, although I do have a pile of duo squares to use for a matching game quilt. So I would not mind some duplicates.

Moonrise - I am curious what an I Spy roll up is...a small activity quilt?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast