Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Attic sewing rooms with slanted ceilings...pls share! >

Attic sewing rooms with slanted ceilings...pls share!

Attic sewing rooms with slanted ceilings...pls share!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:52 AM

I lived in a cape cod type home with 2 bedrooms upstairs with pitched ceilings. Yes i had the dresser in the knee walls but i had a problem with frost. Cloths inside the drawers would get damp due to the change of tempature. I had to get inside the crawl space to add more insulation to prevent this. One of the bedrroms i turned into my sewing loft at that time and spent many hours there. It was a very narrow room. I didnt have any shelving space as it only had 3 walls. The 4th wall we knocked out and put in a railing to make it look like a loft. We took pine boards and nailed them up on the walls to make it look rustic. I used leftover pine boards and bricks and set it up as a shelving unit type wall like a partition in the room. l-l Half of the room was for sewing and cutting table. the other half was for storing larger items such as totes bolts of fabrics etc. on teh shelves, i stored my fabrics, patterns, batting, magazines, sewing notions etc.. At that time i worked for a woman who had a small cottage industry and so i need a place for this. It worked for a long time and it was cozy. I even had a rocker, small stereo system and end table to relax when i needed too. I love the big designer sewing rooms but for me its not practical. Keep it simple, recycle, reuse is my motto. Only expense i had then was for the pine boards. If u dont have wall space, then make wall using shelves to store ur items. Use bins from wally to store fabrics inside. Hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Default slanted sewing room

Will try to send u picts. of mine. It is above my garage, with hubby next door with his office, so is a small area. try to keep it organized as I can, but gets mussy fast
Attached Thumbnails babygd-quilt-002.jpg   babygd-quilt-003.jpg   babygd-quilt-005.jpg   babygd-quilt-006.jpg   babygd-quilt-009.jpg  

babygd-quilt-010.jpg   babygd-quilt-001.jpg  
Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Go to

http://www.houzz.com/sloped-attic-ce...shelving-ideas

They have many creative ideas.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM

same problem
Old 09-23-2013, 03:08 AM

I have the same sloped ceiling, and it slopes all the way to the floor. I am fortunate that there is 1 straight wall. It used to be our master bedroom but we just moved downstairs. So this will soon be my space! I find I have to use short base cabinets so the space waste is less. If the room is large enough, put a storage cabinet in the middle, creating a wall, or even 2 back to back. I know your pain!

Even a kitchen island would work as a cutting table with storage underneath. Depends on the size of your room.

Last edited by carrieg; 09-23-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 AM

Thought I'd share a pic of my in-progress sewing room. The credenza is up against the slanted ceiling. As long as you keep it low, you don't waste too much floor space.
Attached Thumbnails sewingroom1.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 AM

I like it there is something very appealing to me those attics with slanted ceilings they make cute sewing rooms. I love the large window
Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
our fist house was 1 1/2 stories. We chose the upstairs for our bedroom. My DH made built in dressers to fit in the knee walls. It was a great way to use up the space behind the walls, leaving more space in the room.
My grandfather did this in their house & it was my uncles room.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 PM

my sewing room has 4 foot knee walls on 2 sides. the end walls have windows or doors. I use each cubby to put fabric in, in boxes. they are open. I plan to make quilt covers for their fronts to make them look better. each cubby labeled. I've hung shelves on hooks with salvages. They are for sorting, can't pile to high, or will touch ceiling. Squares by size, triangles, and small scraps for coin quilts.

some
Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Our last house in Calif had slanted walls on three sides in the sewing room upstairs -- it was a huge room (nearly 400 sq feet), but the slanted walls were a challenge. The previous owner built in bookshelves and one set of dresser drawers into one wall. The second was slanted down 2/3 and then straight, and DH built me a raised cutting board area, which left tons of room for a really heavy and very long table that I put there, to sew on. Put fabric on the table edge to cover up, and used the area under for storage. It was pretty and functional. The third wall was by the window, and both high ends were next to the centered window, and dropped down to the corners. DH and I built in cabinets on each side for fabric storage & put a window seat in the center that had a lift out to put storage into the seat. I loved that room....it was charming, functional, full of light and all mine!