Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Building Shelves Myself >

Building Shelves Myself

Building Shelves Myself

Old 09-30-2020, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My husband is a great mechanic and a not so great carpenter. I wanted a lot of shelves in my sewing room so we got those strips you put on the wall the put brackets in them. You buy premade shelving. All you have to do is screw the strips to the wall well. Mine are loaded and have been up for 20 years now with no problems.
Excellent idea, but my house is a quaint, woodsy cabin and those metal brackets would just look so out of place. Nope, I gotta do the whole thing in wood. I'm excited about learning new skills. There's so, so many other projects waiting in the wings. It all seems so liberating!
Old 09-30-2020, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
I know how to use most of my hubby's tools and feel comfortable doing so. However, I have learned over the years, that if I want something done in a timely fashion, I just go get his tools and "start" my project. He's very quick to get out of his recliner then!
I've done that one before too. It just created too much friction....LOL.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:16 AM

My husband will do stuff like this when I ask him to, but the problem is that he's an Engineer and every project becomes a few days of planning on the computer AutoCad, lists of materials and ends up as something you could drive a tank over. I just let him go because it's always nice in the end, but how we get there can be frustrating when you *just* wanted a thread holder made of peg board and dowelling and he re-invents the wheel while he's at it.

Watson
Old 10-02-2020, 03:45 AM

I learned from helping my Dad with projects. My Husband is very handy, and quite capable, but often his vision of a space and mine are two different things. I have been known to do things while he was at work (when he used to work... now, I'm kind of stuck with what I have. Sending you hugs and prayers! YOU GOT THIS!!