Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
cabinets or open shelves? >

cabinets or open shelves?

cabinets or open shelves?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Most of my fabric is on open shelves. I have small table cloths that are folded lengthwise so they fit to cover the material when not in use. Keeps dust bunnies away and sun from fading. Just a nice old lacy tablecloths. If I had a choice I would go with open or glass doors. Just pretty to look at from afar and from a distance you can glance if you need a particular color or design.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM

The entire back wall of my quilt room is full of Ikea Billy cabinets -- on each end the cabinets have glass doors, but the others don't. In the very center I have the skinny Billy cabinet -- because that one houses all my books, which are HEAVY. I have crammed fabric in the rest of the cabinets, except on the bottom, where I have magazines sorted by company (F&P, Quick Quilts, etc), which is also very heavy. But every shelf holds up beautifully, no sign of warping, and I've had those crammed full for several years now. Love the clean white design as the opposite wall has our old kitchen cabinets that we repurposed for my quilt room, which are also painted white. You can't go wrong with Ikea -- and the mini flood lights are up over my countertop (on the kitchen cabinet bases), so I have tons of light for cutting and ironing up there. I use a mini ironing board up there when I need to press, which I lean up against the cabinets on the floor when I'm done. Don't want a full size ironing board up all the time -- and mine is oversized as it came over from England. My Ikea cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling. So on the top I have baskets made out of chrome wire that hold even more fabric. I put my precuts I make from scraps inside one of those cabinets that have doors....if I want to make a scrappy quilt I just pull piles of those out & go to it.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM

I wish I had doors on my shelves... no worrying about fading or dust.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

I will have my fabric in open book shelves.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:05 PM

I'm remodelling also! I plan on cupboards with doors. Should I worry about putting fabric directly on the wood shelves? I know quilts should not be placed in direct contact with wood because the oil will eventually stain. Would acid free tissue be good to line the shelves with?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM

I bought Ikea Billy bookcases with doors that have a rippled, opaque plastic panel so that my fabric gets "some" protection from light. I also keep my blinds permanently closed in my sewing room due to a privacy issue. However, when I do go into sew, I have it lit up like Times Square and that's how I like to sew. My fabric is not fading and the shelves are not sagging. I absolutely LOVE Ikea for storage solutions.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 PM

I don't have a very big stash yet, and most of it fits on an open, white Ikea bookcase. If its perfectly folded and sorted,

I like the exposed look of the rainbow of colors. But, reality is, a few times rummaging for the right piece, and it's messed up again. I really do better with things behind doors.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 AM

I furnished my new quilting room 6 mos. ago. Did a wall of the 11" deep shelves, 8' tall by 10' wide. Bought foam core boards from the dollar store. Each $1 sheet gives either 6 10" squares boards or 24 5" square boards. I use the large ones for yardage and the small ones for scraps. Fit the shelves perfectly. No glass doors. Love my new room! Takes some effort to actually get organized but the payoff is HUGE! I still tweaking it but the major stuff is done. Has helped keep my room neater since I'm not digging thru containers looking for a specific fabric.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have my fabric in a wood cupboard with doors so I don't have yo worry about fading. If you still want glasss front cabinets, you can always cover the inside of the windows with paper if you find that your fabric fades.
I have fancy sheets with tie backs, so when I'm in the sewing room I can tie them back to each side, then just pull the ties and they are covered on the days I can't be with my fabric...No doors to get in the way or open and shut...
Old 10-11-2013, 05:15 AM

Fabrics do not like a lot of light. I have most of mine in wooden cupboards with doors and plain colors on a shelf unit in a closet away from light.