Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
covering wood with fabric question >

covering wood with fabric question

covering wood with fabric question

Old 02-13-2017, 05:50 AM
Z

Polyurethane, a water based finish that is used for gym floors, would give you the slippery finish that you want. You could apply it directly to the MDF if you wanted the MDF color. You could use diluted Elmer's school glue to fasten fabric to the sanded table top. If the fabric isn't where you want it, the school glue allows you to move it. Press the fabric THOROUGHLY before you start. Wrap the pressed fabric around a swim noodle, a cardboard roll from carpet, or a board so that you can unroll it after applying glue to a width of the table top. Smooth out the fabric before applying more glue. A brayer or rolling pin works well. Folding the fabric over the edges would give a finished look. After the glue dries thoroughly apply the polyurethane in several THIN layers according to direllctions on the can. My work table, cutting table, or table for everything I need to do was covered with fabric and polyurethane 17 years ago and is still going strong. There are a few scratches.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
The top of my cutting table is a hollow core door with vinyl flooring glued on. The flooring has a gridded pattern to it which makes it very convenient for squaring fabric and patterns. The edges of my tabletop are finished with varnished molding. I have used the cutting surface for over 25 years and it looks like new. I also use a rotary cutting mat on top. I couldn't be happier. I think you could do something similar with a vinyl flooring remnant.
I have peel/stick squares on an area of my cutting table and it works for me. Using 12" squares is great for lining up edges and measuring. You can walk on them so the pins would not be a big issue, can replace one if it has a problem down the road. You could also put some wax on them if the fabric does not slide well.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Polyurethane is what I was trying to think of. My husband uses it often. He built our kitchen table and used polyurethane on the top. 3-4 coats and wet sanded in between. It's so slick I can easily move fabric across the top even though the wood has grooves in it.
Originally Posted by Z View Post
Polyurethane, a water based finish that is used for gym floors, would give you the slippery finish that you want. You could apply it directly to the MDF if you wanted the MDF color. You could use diluted Elmer's school glue to fasten fabric to the sanded table top. If the fabric isn't where you want it, the school glue allows you to move it. Press the fabric THOROUGHLY before you start. Wrap the pressed fabric around a swim noodle, a cardboard roll from carpet, or a board so that you can unroll it after applying glue to a width of the table top. Smooth out the fabric before applying more glue. A brayer or rolling pin works well. Folding the fabric over the edges would give a finished look. After the glue dries thoroughly apply the polyurethane in several THIN layers according to direllctions on the can. My work table, cutting table, or table for everything I need to do was covered with fabric and polyurethane 17 years ago and is still going strong. There are a few scratches.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 AM

Think of all the time and money you are investing in this. It needs to be right, and right from the beginning, or you will be extremely frustrated.

I would go to a cabinet maker and have him make a Formica top using as thin a piece as he would recommend. If you will be taking it off and on once in a while, it needs to be a little bit sturdy.

You will be happier in the long run if you spend the money and do it right.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
The top of my cutting table is a hollow core door with vinyl flooring glued on. The flooring has a gridded pattern to it which makes it very convenient for squaring fabric and patterns. The edges of my tabletop are finished with varnished molding. I have used the cutting surface for over 25 years and it looks like new. I also use a rotary cutting mat on top. I couldn't be happier. I think you could do something similar with a vinyl flooring remnant.
That sounds like a great solution. They vinyl stick on tiles are inexpensive and simple to apply. And you could just throw a cutting mat right on top. Of all the ideas, I think this one fits the bill.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 AM

I covered a pool table with a sheet of plywood, stained it then applied polyurethane. After a few years the whole thing was taken down and removed so I don't remember the details but it worked for well for cutting and pinning when I sewed. Anyway, I think polyurethane is the way to go.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Think of all the time and money you are investing in this. It needs to be right, and right from the beginning, or you will be extremely frustrated.

I would go to a cabinet maker and have him make a Formica top using as thin a piece as he would recommend. If you will be taking it off and on once in a while, it needs to be a little bit sturdy.

You will be happier in the long run if you spend the money and do it right.
You took the words right out of my head! :-) A formica type surface is my choice for durability, appearance, and cleanability. I used a formica type surface for years. With the use of large islands, this should be readily available for an experienced cabinet maker to install. This is an investment which will have great paybacks while you use it, and IMHO should you decide to sell or cut into smaller sections. Mod pog becomes dated. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM

I'm not sure what you are using the table for, but my cutting surface is an old door which my husband covered with formica, and it works great. Of course most of it is covered with cutting mats since it's well, a cutting table!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Depending on what you are planning to use the table for, I would look into either a vinyl or oilcloth cover. Both can be purchased at Joanns.
Good advice
Old 02-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question, all advice was greatly appreciated.
The table will mainly be used as a table to sandwich quilts on and also used as a cutting table but I will use a mat under it. I will also use it as a general sewing table.
I have already bought the material and my carpenter husband has made the top. My idea was the formica but husband insisted on the MDF..lol..who am i to argue when he spent all that time making it and it fits like a glove and i love it except for the colour!
Vinyl would have been a good idea but as i have already bought the material i think I will do what z suggested as her advice confirmed what we had been thinking of doing and it sounds like it will be durable. Thanks Z!