Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Designing New Sewing Room & Would Like Your Suggestions >

Designing New Sewing Room & Would Like Your Suggestions

Designing New Sewing Room & Would Like Your Suggestions

Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 PM

Default Designing New Sewing Room & Would Like Your Suggestions

DH and I are moving into a new home the end of August. I will have a beautiful space to design from scratch and I want to do it right. So many of you have done this and I would really like to hear what you would suggest. The room is approx. 15 x 20 and has no windows. It's new construction so we will be putting up sheetrock and installing flooring and lighting. I have a long arm and want to have a separate cutting table and ironing station as well as a sewing station for 3 machines and my serger. If you could have the perfect sewing room what would it be like?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 PM

I will be checking back to see what others say. I'm no help at this.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM

I have lots of floor to ceiling cabinets with peg board on the top half of the doors to hang everything up. I would like to add direct lighting over all my work area's, and have a way to set up all my machines in there own individual, permanent, work area with my back to the wall. Than if I needed to add a table to hold the quilt weight up I could
Old 07-25-2013, 03:27 AM

I hate to see my clutter. I want kitchen cabinets for storage, kitchen counter height. Order the counter top deeper to accommodate the cutting mat. Tho I really love my mobile kitchen island now cutting table . No peg board. (Visual clutter to me) i Want mobile drawers. Furniture that can easy be rearranged (locking casters). Counter height electrical outlets, perhaps a couple of floor outlets for floor OTT LIGHT and/or sewing machine plugs, great ceiling lights, a few windows for natural light. Hard surface flooring . Easier to clean. ( no carpet!). Wall mounted flat screen with swivel mount. Half bath for the potty. Small fridge for beverages. (Now you know why a toilet)! Nice stereo for radio, tunes.

Sitting area for a break. Bookcases for books, mag..this space had better be huge for my "dream" space. Sigh......

Sandy
Old 07-25-2013, 03:30 AM

No windows? Hmm.....i would have to create "faux" windows with a view. Nice size space tho! Congrats!
Sandy
Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 AM

I have heard many people praise the idea of electrical outlets in the ceiling to avoid the wires on the floor where you trip over them. Makes it easier to clean the floor too. Now's the time, before the sheetrock goes up.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:05 AM

I like the idea of stand alone furniture. Allows for reorganization, or tweaking in the future. I also like to have my fabric in closed storage, so my cabinets would have doors. Remember plenty of electrical outlets and lighting. Consider having some of them at counter top height, having one drop from the center of the ceiling, or in the center of the floor.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM

Electric outlets counter high. Or even on the ceiling. No bending to plug in something. Moveable work islands (our needs change). Lighting, never enough. You are new construction without windows...can you install sky lights or light tubes? Storage, storage, storage. Both stationary and mobile. A place for everything...and label the contents. Whole house vacuum system with access to your room, a dedicated hose stored in the room for cleaning. Hardwood floor, not carpet, easy clean up, no lost pins to be "found" by your feet. Gel mats at cutting table-or area where you will stand a long time. Small dorm fridge for refreshments, Kurig for coffee and tea. A bathroom would be nice, with access to a large wash basin to rinse water-soluble stabilizers and markers.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

Enjoy your new home!!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM

With no windows I would invest a lot of research (and probably $$) in lighting options over your work areas.

Like the others... I love my furniture and storage units that are on casters for flexibility. Laminate floors are easy to clean up. I would put closets across one end with LOTS of built-ins for fabric, bins and containers since you will have so much wall space.

Have fun!