Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you organize just to buy more?

Do you organize just to buy more?

Now that I have a few things organized (far from done)....I am feeling urges to buy more stuff. Which only lends itself to needing to organize more.....you know. The gerbil wheel effect.

I am trying to resist the urge, but.....the lights.....the colors.....the fabric!!
    LOL

Do you organize to "justify" going out and buying more?

Blog Entries
    No I always plan for having more order , but then I do add to my stash somehow, like the JoAnn sales paper that just came.

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    Not that there is anything wrong with that!
    BH mystery quilt begins Friday so have to clear my cutting table and take out my fabrics..,.need another plastic container for them!

Power Poster
    I clear my work table but I really don't organize my sewing area or I lose stuff. I do need to a really good house clean before Christmas. I like to save my shoulders for sewing but my kitchen cupboards and floors need a good scrub.

I like to put everything from one project away before I start another one. I do not function well in clutter. I don't need anything to encourage me to buy more fabric-it just happens when I go in a LQS or turn on the computer and look at quilting sites. Next year I am definitely going to declare a moratorium on fabric purchases. I really like things I have purchased-so I need to stitch them up.

I just don't organize
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by sherian View Post
    No I always plan for having more order , but then I do add to my stash somehow, like the JoAnn sales paper that just came.
    Oh dear, there's another Joann sales paper? I just restocked my fall fabric stash with the coupons that ended Saturday. Dare I try to get away with two trips in one week.....

I have to be somewhat organized or I get crazy. I like to be able to find what I want when I want it.

OUCH.....I hear you! I spent two nights (6 hours or more) doing that....organizing, sorting, purging....but not with the intent to purchase more. I found items that I no longer need, want or have a use for. Those are going to the free table at guild. I did find a few more ufo's that I had (gasp) forgotten about. AND...found a few more quilt patterns that I had pulled out to make. Fortunately I have plenty of fabric already washed, folded and stashed. Good luck with the continued organizing!
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to get organized and realize I have a couple totes with some bags with fabric that made it past the laundry room into the sewing room. I took the fabric out and laid it across my cutting table. I have no reason other than that fabulous fabric I saw at the lqs couple weeks ago, to buy any more. Those bags had 9 yards of fabric in them. The fabric is from 2 years ago. Still with receipt in them. I do not remember the fabric. I signed for them but wow what a brain fart. They were in the bottom of a black tote.

LOL tess. I have brain farts, too. And to only find 9 yards was a bonus. I once found 15 yds in a bag....they coordinated, but I couldn't for the LIFE of me remember what pattern I had picked them up for! I "obviously" HAD to have it, though!
    LOL
    Thanks for the chuckle!

I have found that putting away my purchases into an organized manner (I color sort) tends to remind me of what I have and usually inspires my next project... walking into a messy studio tends to shorten the length of time I want to stay. I can tolerate a bit of clutter but will avoid chaos.

Blog Entries
    i have an insane amount of fabric and a ridiculous collection of tools, etc.
    i organize to put things back into "shoppable" order and to remind myself/rediscover what i already have.
    my goal is to buy as little new as possible until i have used up most of those fabrics that will work well together in a project.

my success rate?

er ... ummm ...

no comment.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I buy mostly small cuts of fabrics and shop in the scraps section of my LQS. I like really scrappy quilts. I love being able to shop in my stash and if I need orange, but don't have enough of one fabric, I'll use 3 or 4 oranges for a super scrappy look. Anything 1/4 yard or more gets ruler folded and stands on end in a drawer. This is what my top drawer of Quilt shop fabrics looks like. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999461797593/
    I rarely find fabric that I've forgotten about in bags. Once I get it home, it almost immediately goes into a drawer. I also have a drawer of JoAnn's fabrics, a drawer of Solids, Batiks and novelty fabrics, and a drawer with larger cuts between 2-6 yard cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    i have an insane amount of fabric and a ridiculous collection of tools, etc.
    i organize to put things back into "shoppable" order and to remind myself/rediscover what i already have.
    my goal is to buy as little new as possible until i have used up most of those fabrics that will work well together in a project.

my success rate?

er ... ummm ...

no comment.
    LOL Patrice! I love the honesty spoken there!

I noticed that too. Really proud of getting things organized but all too soon new fabric calls my name. The fabric moratorium on here helps but I still fall sometimes.
    Erin

As much as I love to go into fabric stores, I find that I have to just stay from them sometimes as the temptations are just too much for me.

I totally reorganized my room earlier this month, and did so beacause I have a smidgen of OCD and things must be "in their place", in the process I told myself I needed to cut back on my fabric purchases!! I work on one project at a time and put things away at he end of every work session. I wish I could be more relaxed about things, but it's sooooooo hard for me to do. I have discovered that I have far too many fabrics that no longer appeal to me, I'm trying hard to not buy more fabric, but there are some beautiful lines out there!!!!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I don't have lots of fabric, so I usually start with scraps, add fat qtr if I need more colors and buy yardage for backing when the quilt is finished. Projects purchased go in a separate plastic scrapbook tote with a label until I am ready to start. And I dont buy another project until a tote is empty.

I try to keep organized - when things get messed up, I have to stop, regroup, and get things in order again. Will admit, I love fabric (who doesn't?) and if I see something that will help with a couple of upcoming projects, I'll buy the fabric.

I try not to buy more, but a friend recently gave me a big box of quilting fabrics, squares and some Grandmother's Garden hexagon blocks that had belonged to her mother. Wonderful gift, but I feel the pressure to now "do something" with these treasures. And finding a place to store them. Sometimes I'm not sure it pays to let people know what you do for a hobby!

Well, ya. I need excuses to bring lovely fabric home and it's as good as any thing I can come up with !

No, if I ever, ever get organized, buying more is not the goal. I definitely need to "create, use, and enjoy" what I have.
    Carol

Blog Entries
    No, I organize because i'm OCD. And, if I know what I have, I don't tend to keep buying more just to buy more. Lately, I'm only buying if I need it to finish a specific project. I really would like to get my fabrics in one certain place. And, I'm going to need to quilt and sew a little faster and a little more to make that happen.

It is nice to buy when the sales are too good to pass up...but, I find that after awhile, I want the next "it" fabric that has come out. So, I am really really trying to get a handle on my UFO list. "Which is really long!" And, use what I have at home. I bet other then small amounts here or there to finish something up, I don't NEED to buy any fabric for at least several years.

But, I'm really having fun reading your answers. They make me smile.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    I will spend a few hours tidying up and organizing my sewing/guest room today as we are expecting company on Sunday but I don't usually purchase fabric on a whim...I generally have a project in mind when buying fabric. However, I somehow still have a larger stash than I need.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I'm starting to worry about SABLE- stash accumulated beyond life expectancy. I love scrappy quilts and have vowed to use what I have for backings and quilt designs, etc. I don't have as large a stash as maybe some people do but several backings don't make as big of a dent as you would think! There's a lot of sewing to be done .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast