Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone not keep a big fabric stash?

Blog Entries
    It's not a stash, it's a future quilt pile. LOL!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

If I didn't have a stash. I would not be able to do what I love most in my hobby world. With having no fabric shop near me and wal mart run out from under us craftys and the cost of fabric these days. that levers me to work with my stash.{yes I do sometime have to got something to go with what I have, but the biggest part of it comes from my stash} My family are not happy about the room ful of fabric. but they are not unhapppy with the quilts that cover they butts or when they know that our family has been able to help some family in need with some quilt hugs.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

I have a very small stash. I would buy fabrics for a project I have in mind. It's just more fun for me that way.

Blog Entries
    I hear folks say all the time that they don't have a stash. I always buy more than what I need, therefor I do have a stash. It is to each his own I guess. I love scrappy's and if you belong to any groups where you do projects like round robins it is always nice to have some extra fabric on hand.

No stash for me. I buy what I need for a project. Not that I exclusively sew kids quilts for donation I might buy enough of a fabric to make two quilts.
    I always thought I was weird for not having a stash. But I don't really understand how people know how much to buy of a fabric if you don't know what you're going to do with it.
    SVAL

I have to say that I admire anyone that doesn't have a stash. My reasoning? I have quite a large stash, and yet any time that I get ready to start a new project, I have to go buy more fabric, because there isn't anything "just right" in my stash. Then, when I get to the store to buy what I need for a specific project, I always find something I just have to have, but it goes into my stash because I don't have a project in mind for it. A vicious cycle. I have a couple of friends that shop from my stash and I'm always happy for them to take stuff.

I find I love to look and touch fabric. The vibrant colors are're coming out with are so beautiful. Even my sister loves to look at all my fabrics and she doesn't even sew anymore. As I have few fabric stores nearby and with the way this winter has been I can't just go out and pick up fabric for every project so I try to keep a good supply around to choose from. Just got my latest shipment from Connecting Threads the other day and found I'd run out of my comic book boards so ordered more of the two sizes I use. I went ahead and folded what I had up using the ruler method which I find I do like except that they won't stand up on their own this way. Have another smaller shipment coming this week with some fabric I needed to finish a baby quilt I'm working on as I found the fabric I chose wouldn't work now. Then afterwards I came up with an alternative border idea which I'm using instead so the fabric I purchased will go in my stash for something else.................someday.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I now have a stash but very small compared to many quilters. But way before I began quilting I bought fabric I saw and loved, knowing I'd make something (clothes) out of it sooner or later, and sometimes my clothes making stash got pretty large. Quilting fabric is just an extension of that love of fabric which results in "collecting".

Do whatever works best for you... I do stash fabric, mainly because I buy when I find it on sale, clearance, and any other really good deals. I could not afford to just walk into a shop to buy for a project, paying full price-- so I stash it when it's cheap and then "shop my stash" to make my quilts. I also stash nice 100% cotton shirts for quilting.... lots of good fabric there for $.50 to $1.00 per shirt!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes I just see a fabric like and think wow that is so cute or gorgeous or stunning and I usually have my fabric coupons with me. Wednesdays I can go to Hancocks and get a 15% discount (sr. citizen). I try to limit my purchase limit at $20.00. They have a table with huge discounts on also up to 90%. I have 8 quilts planned and working on all of them. A little at a time.

I love fabric and I just can't stop buying it. My stash is huge and I have several orders coming in this week. Right now I am setting here dreading that I have to go iron all the new fabric I have finished washing. I don't just buy fabric for quilting but for garment sewing also. Love making things for my three year old DGD.

I think you gotta do what works for you. I am a stasher - if I see something I really like and I have the money, I buy a couple yards of it. A lot of times, I will flash vision a quilt with some fabric I see in the store, so often I have an idea of where I want to go with it, but sometimes I buy fabric just for the pleasure of having a piece I really like. Some of my best quilts have come from my stash - sometimes I have to buy fabric to go with what I have, and sometimes I can cobble something together without leaving the house or ordering anything.

I have a quilting budget that I set side because I went for many years feeling like I couldn't spend money on the things I really wanted. I don't spend all the money each month, but I probably get pretty close because I'm trying to build up my stash. I got so depressed when I felt like I couldn't buy any fabric that my creativity just dried up, primarily because I didn't have a decent stash to pull from - lots of focal fabrics, not a lot of blenders. Now I try to split my funds between the two a little more evenly. I seem to have a Kona cotton fetish I can't shake lately; I'm buying it by the bolt!

When I was working I bought for 'stash' since I never got anything sewn with it. I jokingly referred to it as my 401S (for stash). Now I'm retired, I still prefer shopping to sewing... hard habit to break!!! Luckily I stashed money in the 401K.

I don't have a stash. I do have some scraps left over from projects and about 10, one yard cuts that I bought at a buy one get one free sale but that's it. I find it hard to decide on fabrics if I'm not shopping all at once so I buy what I need for each project and save anything that I can make a 2.5 inch strip or 5 x 5 square and will hopefully make a scrappy quilt with it one day. My taste change often. Also I usually have a pattern then go shopping and the fabrics jump out at me.
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

Like so many others, I live with my stash rather than the other way around. When I worked, I bought fabric just because I liked it - usually 3-5 yard pieces. Now I'm not working and have more fabric and patterns and books than I could use if I live to be 500 yrs old. Do I regret it? No, I don't regret it. But, there's no longer even the space available to sort out what I have (last year I did donate a 55 gallon drum of fabric, so that's some gone). My main goal now is to deal with my UFO's and let the rest multiply in the closets... If you can keep this hobby in check, you will have a great time with it. Or like some of us you will live in your own private fabric shop. Joyce in DE

I buy per project. I use up scraps when they fill a wastebasket sized container. I don't like excesses of anything. I am a minimalist...

I also narrowed down the types of techniques I am interested in doing so the number of tools, books and patterns is also limited. I make great quilts with my DH's old dress shirts. He is 6'5" so it's a lot of material.

Hi, I didn't realize how big my STASH was until my son made me a sewing room in our outback shop & now I know I don't need to buy any fabric for a LONG time. I have however put it all in color order so I know what I have, plus the many patterns I've saved from this site. I'm really enjoying my new work shop too.

I am not a stasher. I know lots of you love it. That's great. I do love fabric and go and look and fondle. But, don't have room or desire for more than I have, which isn't much. I do like the little remnants in the bins at the stores, and have a bunch of those. And I do use them. I have made several quilts without buying anything extra, but now I have a bag of scraps and seems like the more I use, the more there is. What's up with that?
    Alyce

Define 'big' :-)

I have a stash (neatly organized). When I worked I didn't have time to make quilts, which I dearly loved, so I would shop for bargains with both fabrics and tools and collect them for my retirement. I retired in Jan. 2013 and have completed 4 quilts for gifts since that time and have not spent a penney. It was a good investment (and thank goodness it doesn't multiple).

My problem now that I will be moving from IN to WI in a couple months (due to DH job) and we are lookiing for a house that has a nice space for my quilting room.
    Linda
    Finishing 1 UFO at a time

Quote Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
    I no longer have a stash. I just sold 3 boxes of fabric and donated 2 bags. I found myself overwhelmed and still didn't have what I needed. I had bought a lot of fabric from yard sales and thrift stores. I only kept fabric that I felt I would use. I agree with PatriceJ, control is the key. Don't be in a hurry to build a stash (my mistake).
    Same here! I use to have a stash but then realized I had too much fun looking at the new lines. I only keep scraps that I can cut into 2.5" or 5" squares for scrappy projects.

Just traded some fabric, via mail, I was disappointed, fabric was cheap and old, old, old. I sent new Moda, Benartex, RJR - don't know if I will trade again. So NO stash for me.

What can I say??? At one point my Mom said if I used what I had I could probably never buy any more fabric.I love fabric and am addicted. Some times I buy for a project but sometimes I just can't pass up a deal.My sister loves the electric acid green. I found some fabric and thought I would make her something. Months later I found a duvet cover on sale the same color. I made pillow shams and she has quite the bedroom. I haven't found a fabric I didn't except polyester so I am staying with my bad habit.

I have a medium sized stash. I was an avid buyer at first and then last year nothing appealed to me and I managed to control it and thin a bit. I have 7 shelves of fabric and a few bins of scraps. I would like to get it down to 6 shelves this year.
    My neighbor only buys what she needs for a project at a time. She has one small shelf of leftover fabric.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Do whatever works best for you... I do stash fabric, mainly because I buy when I find it on sale, clearance, and any other really good deals. I could not afford to just walk into a shop to buy for a project, paying full price-- so I stash it when it's cheap and then "shop my stash" to make my quilts. I also stash nice 100% cotton shirts for quilting.... lots of good fabric there for $.50 to $1.00 per shirt!
    I must apologize for not answering your question. I misread it and didn't catch the word "NOT" in your question. I thought you were asking about our stashes, but you were asking if anyone DOESNT stash. Sorry!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh my, I have a huge stash. I have been quilting for 20 years and my fabric must have had the rabbit genes in it. It just kept multiplying! I could always let the squirrels in and share it with them for their nests!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast