Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Finall "done" enough to share - livingroom is now sewing room!

Finall "done" enough to share - livingroom is now sewing room!

Oh man this took so much longer than I wanted it to! But I love it!

A lot of these pictures are out of order, I still don't have "final" pictures of everything done..but I'm getting there!

WALL OF CABINETS! Boom!
    Name:  Sewing_Room_23.jpg
Views: 4472
Size:  57.3 KB

And what are those weird bulky knobs on those cabinets? ZOOM IN:
    Name:  Sewing_Room_25.jpg
Views: 4575
Size:  44.7 KB

Small wooden spools, wrapped in turquoise and orange thread!

Design wall! Just a length of flannel tacked to the wall at present, eventually will be foam board. But even so, immense improvement over the prior set up!
    Name:  Sewing_Room_21.jpg
Views: 4556
Size:  33.8 KB

Rails and hooks! Best invention ever. And love my gooseneck lamp, shines right down on my cutting surface.
    Name:  Sewing_Room_40.jpg
Views: 4532
Size:  45.1 KB

Those are all hanging over my cutting table, which is also where I stash my batting.
    Name:  Sewing_Room_07.jpg
Views: 4546
Size:  71.5 KB

In the window - turns out the window is just the right size to fit one of those slotted ruler holders. SO HANDY.
    Name:  Sewing_Room_09.jpg
Views: 4579
Size:  81.6 KB

My "L" shaped sewing area - woohoo! (It's more fixed up now, the machine's not even plugged in yet in this pic, lol)
    Name:  Sewing_Room_20.jpg
Views: 4988
Size:  66.9 KB

I put this on the floor in front of my cutting table; it's a memory foam mat. I'm barefoot 99% of the time and this has a wonderful plushy feel.
    Name:  Sewing_Room_24.jpg
Views: 4447
Size:  64.0 KB

I still have a to-do list about 10 items long, but it's done enough to the point that I'm sewing again. It's been way too long!

Wow - what a setup. I envy you and all those cabinets!

I know how you feel. I have a few more things to do in my rooms. But stopped organizing to get a few things sewn and quilted. I love your set up. Enjoy your new space. Luann
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Blog Entries
    Too clever on your thread door knobs! Thanks for the idea.

You're my kind of sewist, barefoot!!!

Do you happen to have your vintage machines secured to the wall in case of earthquake? I hope... and I hope you never experience an earthquake.

Great sewing room! Congratulations.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Wonderful space !! I do have to ask where did you locate those cabinets . I just love those

Blog Entries
    Beautiful well organized room. It looks like you have been to Ikea. Oh I love that store. I have seen that blue rolling cart in several sewing rooms featured here.

I love looking at how people organize their rooms and repurpose various things to make it work for each individual.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Power Poster
    ​Looking good!

What a wonderful sewing room!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Beautiful well organized room. I love looking at how people organize their rooms and repurpose various things to make it work for each individual.
    I agree with the organization and how people go about organizing.

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Do you happen to have your vintage machines secured to the wall in case of earthquake? I hope... and I hope you never experience an earthquake.
    The cabinets are, but the machines aren't. That's a good idea, though, I'm glad you mentioned it! I do live in "earthquake country" and we get them every now and then.

Neither machine actually functions, but they are representations of the machines that each of my grandmothers used to make all of THEIR quilts; they're up there to remind me that I'm part of a quilting heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    It looks like you have been to Ikea
    You can say that again! I think it took us 4 trips, in total. (We did other stuff around the house so it wasn't ALL for me) Fortunately a good friend of mine has a truck and she and her DH were kind enough to let me tag along on an IKEA trip they were already doing; that's when I got all the big stuff.

IKEA should advertize their furniture for crafting & sewing specifically. They have their stuff categorized by room on their website and in their catalog - they really ought to add crafting/sewing rooms. They have SO MUCH stuff that is perfect (or easily adapted) for crafting & sewing.

It's wonderful having so much space, and not having to fight overstuffed plastic drawers to get at my stash.

My first day here and how fun to find this! I am waiting for my poly coat to dry so I can apply the second coat. I too have Ikea shelving but not the ones you have. Since I am in the process of setting up my new sewing room I love seeing yours. Thank you for posting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Wonderful space !! I do have to ask where did you locate those cabinets . I just love those
    They are BILLY bookshelves, from IKEA. These are the 15-something inch deep ones; they also have standard bookshelf depth (11-something inches, I think). The doors are their cheapest doors, called YDRE - it's translucent corrugated plastic in melamine frames - cheap but they work! I'm going to line the backs of each with turquoise plastic (party tablecloths) to block the light more completely. That's still one of the to-do items.

Quote Originally Posted by Veinurse View Post
    My first day here and how fun to find this! I am waiting for my poly coat to dry so I can apply the second coat. I too have Ikea shelving but not the ones you have. Since I am in the process of setting up my new sewing room I love seeing yours. Thank you for posting!!
    Congrats on your new sewing room - you'll have to post pictures of yours when it's done too!

Cool beans! Love your space, enjoy!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

Really, really great! Thanks for posting the pictures!

Where did you get your sewing machine table? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky44 View Post
    I bought it from here: http://www.sewperfecttables.com/ They make a "J" table specifically to fit my machine (fits Janome 6500/6600) so I don't even need an insert. It's a marvelous table - solid as a rock. I think you could invite all your friends to stand on this table and you'd run out of standing room before you'd budge this thing. Not cheap but it's a serious table - I'd buy it again if mine got lost in a fire. (Although the legs of the table would probably survive even a fire, lol) Yet it's not TOO heavy....DH & I recently carried this one down a flight of stairs and it wasn't bad at all - my cutting table (the wood dining table one) proved to be heavier. It could also be disassembled if you're moving or something.

Blog Entries
    *** Love the cabinets & the knobs are a STROKE OF GENIUS.
    *** Very Happy room.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Very nice.....gives me ideas if i ever organize my sewing area....soon i hope.....

Donita
    dsews2

Wonderful sewing room. I love your door knobs.

WOW!! All that storage cabinets are to drool over and what a cute idea to use old spools with thread still on !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

What a wonderful use of space. Love the wood floors...easier to clean up all the threads!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squeaky44 View Post
    I have two of these 'sew perfect' tables. They are indeed wonderful, very sturdy, no vibration at all and the best part, they are height adjustable, the only table on the market that is i think. I think they are very reasonably priced. Go to their website, they have inserts to fit every machine on the market too. I know why they are called the sew perfect table because they are

Blog Entries
    congrats... fantastic space. i love your knobs
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast