Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Flooring suggestions for sewing room. >

Flooring suggestions for sewing room.

Flooring suggestions for sewing room.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 AM

I have wood floors, tile floors, laminate floor and carpeted floors (I have a big house) and my favorite is by far the luxury vinyl. It's quieter, softer and easiest to clean and keeps its "new look". Love it.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:03 AM

This is a question that many crafters have. Here are a coupla links that are addressing flooring.

http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net...-room-flooring
http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...t201169-3.html
http://www.floorguide.com/RoomIdeas/...sign.asp?ID=32
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/27203...creative-space
Old 08-16-2016, 05:22 AM

I love my laminate flooring. I would think any flat hard flooring would be great and easy to clean and find the pins.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Suz

My daughter has a cork floor in her sewing room. When you have to spend a lot of time on your feet around the table, you legs and feet thank you. The floor is pretty, easy to clean and just enough give. So, if you are planning to do the floor only once, the cork should be considered.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 PM

Ii have a plank vinyl that has some texture -- it works well for me but I don't pin baste on my floor.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
My daughter has a cork floor in her sewing room. When you have to spend a lot of time on your feet around the table, you legs and feet thank you. The floor is pretty, easy to clean and just enough give. So, if you are planning to do the floor only once, the cork should be considered.
I have a cork floor and I really really like it. Easy to clean but also has a little cushion to it so its easy to stand on. I even think it's warmer than a wood floor. In our former house we had cork floor in a bedroom and it's over 60 years old and didnt show any wear! I also have it in the kitchen so you might say cork flooring is my favorite! There's a variety of colors and designs too.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:14 PM

I would be happy with anything except carpet! Any smooth surface to easily clean and pick u pins and thread. My personal preference is ceramic tile...second best would be linoleum...only because hardwood needs more care, and who wants to do that?
Old 08-16-2016, 10:20 PM

Who wants to kneel on the ceramic tile floor to pin baste? Your knees will be hurting. I also know that your legs will ache if you spend a ton of time standing and walking on ceramic tile.
Like Karamarie, I also have various flooring throughout my home. When we built we put a high grade of carpet in what is now my sewing room. I have no trouble finding pins....I could use a magnet if I did.

However, whatever you decide, I would also recommend the Sharon Shambers method of basting a quilt...whether it be for hand quilting or machine quilting (find it on you tube). It does take a bit more time but your quilt sandwich is more stable and won't shift. You can then baste your quilt on a table and not kill your knees on the floor. I have done it both ways and I will never kneel to baste a quilt again.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I would go for a nice smooth slip-free tile. Easy to clean but wouldn't be damaged by pin pricks from pin basting. I have pin basted with Sharon Shamberg's method of sew basting. Just pinning instead.
I agree. Sharon Shamberg's method of basting a quilt in fantastic. It is worth the investment for a couple sets of boards. Since I enjoy hand basting with the tailor's basting method, I am in seventh heaven! Congrats on your room.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I have Alure on my floor. It is a stick down flooring that looks like wood. It is easy to install, easy to maintain, reasonable in price and has a 25 year guarentee.