Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How do you store/organize your patterns? >

How do you store/organize your patterns?

How do you store/organize your patterns?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM

I found a plastic box at Walmart that most patterns slip into on their sides. I am planning to make tabs for it to show what type of project they are for, just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM
KLO

I keep my quilt patterns in individual plastic bins. Labels go on the front so as to divide the patterns up into categories. Patterns I print out or tear out go in a wheelie horizontal file cabinet that I have had forever. Some of the patterns in there I have had forever also! Those patterns are divided into several general categories (quilting, crochet, knitting, sewing, crafts) and then those categories are divided into sub-categories such as holiday, kids, household, large quilts, medium quilts, table runners, hats & scarves ..... well, you get the idea. It works well for me except for when I get behind in my "filing". Then like you, I cannot find what I want so I start filing again. Good luck with your organizing!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:20 PM

I don't that is why I cannot find the one I know I have but cannot find...Hummm will most like rebuy it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:37 PM

The patterns I purchase off the hooks at LQS I put in pockets of a "shoe bag" style unit I purchased from IKEA the pockets are three across and five down. It is on the back of my studio door. Easy access. Pattern from BOM and on line patterns are in notebooks labeled on spine Works good for me

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 03-09-2014, 06:24 PM

I have over 1000 patterns. I use the tall Show Offs plastic containers that I got at Joann. The patterns fit perfectly, at least the old containers did. I have one for appliqué, one for piecing, one for baby and children, one for Christmas, etc. They stack on each other, so they don't take up as much room on my floor.

For ones I take out of magazines, print off the computer, and such, I put into page protectors and then into large ring binders.

Leslie

Last edited by audsgirl; 03-09-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 AM

I store mine in 3 ring binders also, grouped by pattern, such as rail fence, long cabin, etc. I have 1 binder with smaller projects that are not quilts, like table runners, bags and crafty things. I have several with info sheets such as "how to put on binding" or "how to cut strips". It makes it so much easier to find a pattern or info.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 AM

I bought those 3 drawer plastic storage units at Walmart and put the patterns in them. Those drawers hold quite a few. However, if you are talking about some that you have printed off the computer, then I use a 3-ring binder.
Dodee
Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 AM

I use three ring binders with plastic sleeves. Each pocket holds one pattern whether purchased or from a magazine. They are separated by tabs into categories: baby, applique, 9 patch variations....however you want to cateorize them. I like flipping through the binders more than digging through a box. :-) Hope you find something that works!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Not very well... Shuffling and digging and forgetting what I have! Good thing I don't use a pattern very often.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Use 3 ring binders, file drawer, shelves in closet, shoe bag holder, an old wooden drying rack (for fabric I am currently using or a project I am matching colors for), clear totes and hangers for almost finished projects.