Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How Do You Store Your Thread? >

How Do You Store Your Thread?

How Do You Store Your Thread?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:05 AM

I have the June Tailor wall rack with pegs, and an old printer's drawer hanging on the wall. I don't have as much thread as I used to when I was making garments. I mostly use white, ecru, grey and black now.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 AM

I used foam board and golf tees.I cut the foam board to fit my plastic drawers, glued the tees in upside down. Works great and didn't cost a lot!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I use a rolling cart with drawers.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 AM

I have one of the 3-drawer plastic storage units from Walmart that I keep my regular sewing thread in. For my embroidery thread I modified a drawer in my desk/sewing table and put pegboard in the bottom of the drawer with short dowels in the peg holes so my spools stand upright. I can't stand the dust and discoloration of thread hanging on the wall.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:46 AM

I have a lot of large spools of thread for my embroidery machine. I have the drawer units from Walmart for the large spools, and a tall wire basket unit we got from Lows I keep my shorter spools in. I have a rotating rack I got from a craft store going out of business I keep regular sewing thread on pegs. I have a plastic thread case I got that fits the smaller Isacord spools that I carry with me for quilting and sewing away from home. I have a Madera thread treasure chest that was a gift. I use that when I need shiny thread. I do not need any more thread. It is like my stash. I need to use some of it up. But it seems that I end up using main colors and having to replace them.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM

I placed some rubbery shelf liner on top of some short bookcases and set my wooden thread racks on it. I then took a clear plastic bag that came from the dry cleaners, cut it open so it is one large "sheet" of plastic and secured one long side behind the top of the thread racks. The plastic hangs over and down the front of the thread. I can easily see what color of threads I have and they are kept dust free. (I have 3 or 4 of the thread racks all set along the tops of the bookcases and covered with the plastic)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM

I bought a CD cabinet that has sliding doors to hold thread and other LA supplies.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:20 AM

I store my thread in the drawers of an antique oak library card catalog cabinet. It looks great in my sewing room and it's easy to organize threads by color in all the little drawers.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
I store my thread in the drawers of an antique oak library card catalog cabinet. It looks great in my sewing room and it's easy to organize threads by color in all the little drawers.
Oh...this idea stole my heart. How lovely?

~ Cindy
Old 12-18-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I have 3 of the clear thread boxes from Connecting Threads that hold 48 spools of thread each and have handles, and open from either side. They are great and I got them on sale!!
This is what I have now. They're nice! I'm going to have to repair the one I stepped on and broke the handle. I'll have to watch the sales at CT.