Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Store Your Thread?

I keep my quilting thread in plastic boxes, marked with the type inside- one being marked USED. For these used spools, I stand it up, I hook it's bobbin, if there was any thread left on it, to it with a golf tee
    That's all the thread I bought specifically for quilting.

My all purpose thread is kept in a drawer.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Blog Entries
    All of my threads are in drawers.

Sewing machine threads are in a Sterilite 4 (or 5) drawer unit sorted by color groups (say blues and greens, yellows to red, etc).

My longarm threads are in dresser drawers sorted by type of thread or manufacturer.

This way all the threads are out of the light and out of sight.

Nan - Indiana
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    This is what I have now. They're nice! I'm going to have to repair the one I stepped on and broke the handle. I'll have to watch the sales at CT.
    I have some of those too - although at the moment some of the thread has been moved to a box because my DGD has confiscated the box to store her My Little Ponies in. At least the ponies are not all all over the place now.

QM
    I have 2 dresser drawers devoted to threads. One for plain and one for variegated. In my previous (larger) sewing area, I had a double layer shelf above the 2 windows. I liked that better, but this does work.

I put the spool and the matching bobbin in a little zip lock bag I got in the jewelry section of Michael's. It's like 2"x3" I think. The cone threads and bobbins I keep in a zip lock sandwich bag. Then I have a tub for the warm colors ( red, yellow, orange) and one for cool colors ( blue, green, purple) and a smaller container for neutrals (white, grey, beige, black). The containers fit in my cabinet, and this system works for me. It doesn't keep them on display, but for me, is easily accessible.

Red face Thread Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Podunk Princess View Post
    I store my thread in the drawers of an antique oak library card catalog cabinet. It looks great in my sewing room and it's easy to organize threads by color in all the little drawers.
    My DH got me an old cash register cabinet. It has all the drawers for different customers, it's got lots of little drawer compartments--like a cash register drawer. It holds a lot of thread, then on the bottom it has a good sized door that has an empty space that's where I store my scanner for my Janome 9000. He got me a huge old Singer sewing machine that I think was used to make hats and it sits on top.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I have some on two wooden racks with pegs, screwed to the wall. Some in a small plastic bin, Hand and machine thread in a small four or five drawer cabinet thing. Small school boxes with more machine quilting large spools. I had so much thread I gave lots to my Daughter. No Sunshine.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Thank heaven for zip lock baggies. I do quite a bit of applique so have a couple dozen types of thread of every color I can find. Each color goes into a ziplock. Ziplocks go into a small bin (about 12x18x10), but that is just lately, not enough - going to have to get another bin.
    The threads I piece with are on a large wooden rack with dowels ( I use a drinking straw over the dowel to stack the spool and bobbin together. My quilting threads are there also. I use Magic Tape (the clear stretchable stuff) to cover my threads to keep them clean and the ends tucked away nicely. I keep the rack next to my machine for quick access.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do a lot of applique & I use matching thread. I store my threads in clear plastic shoe boxes. If you look at the pic, they are on the wall on top of the shelves. I sort by color. OK, I'm a thread junkie! I also sew in the living room, so like everything neat as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kathy

I made these to hang on the wall and used canvas(which I made into artwork) as locking swing doors. I have added much more thread to my stash than pictured. You can place these anywhere in the home on a wall and they look nice. I put nails on each shelf to hang coordinating bobbin on. I took 3/4 inch plastic tubing from hardware store and cut/slit to fit the bobbins so they don't unravel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love these, with the canvas covers it would keep them clean and from fading in the sun, I don't want to think about how many the puppy stole and chewed up, the little brat.

I use the cases yall are getting from connecting threads, but the funny thing is, that these were made as matchbox car holders and you used to be able to find them at Walmart for $5. I have since found a couple at garage sales. My embroidery threads are in a office/stationary box, I think it is meant to hold regular paper, it is the perfect height for the Iris cones.

Ikea has a great storage unit called "Alex" that works for threads and use the bottom drawer for stabilizes for the embroidery machines.
    http://tamarackshack.blogspot.com/20...d-storage.html

Use June Taylor racks on the wall for all embroidery threads, small and large spools. Use the plastic covers over them. Have all quilting threads in a large round plastic container. Put all serger spools in a round bedcover bag. Store all-purpose threads in round plastic containers of which I have six. Store bobbing thread in its own box. Also have 2 large plastic containers spinach comes in to store any odds and ends or excess. Probably have to much thread, but seldom purchase any except for a class I may be taking.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Name:  IMG_5319.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  1.78 MB
    My large spools are housed in clear over the door shoe racks by color groups.. ..
    My piecing thread ( im a scrapper so i use any color at any given time) is kept in my sewing cabinet drawer..
    my extras for piecing and specialty threads are in sterilte drawers in the walk in closet..

Thread racks and drawers in a plastic rolling cart, for my regular thread and my serger thread. Plastic boxes my spools of embroidery thread and mid-arm quilting thread. Been aiming to make covers for my thread on the racks, but I haven't got around to it yet.
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by rbwiese View Post
    Ikea has a great storage unit called "Alex" that works for threads and use the bottom drawer for stabilizes for the embroidery machines.
    Looked up and I can only say NICE! Wish I had room for it!
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by pippi65 View Post
    My DH got me an old cash register cabinet. It has all the drawers for different customers, it's got lots of little drawer compartments--like a cash register drawer. It holds a lot of thread, then on the bottom it has a good sized door that has an empty space that's where I store my scanner for my Janome 9000. He got me a huge old Singer sewing machine that I think was used to make hats and it sits on top.
    Would love to see pics! I have always wanted an old library card storage case. I think they look cool and when be great for storing alot of neat stuff!
    Last edited by Country1; 01-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    I would love to find a storage solution that isn't plastic. Something natural, tactile and beautiful, not to mention practical.
    DH gave me an antique spool cabinet for Christmas, that might work for you too.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Mine holds 100 spools of thread and is on a Lazy Susan. It is an octagon shape. I've had all the different thread holders out there and this one is the one I truly love. It works great!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I also use the Thread boxes by Art Bin just like cricket_iscute- sorted by colour and also by type of thread. I really like them because it's easy to see the colours, they fit together to stack and since I sometimes work in different rooms they are easy to move or take because each has a handle and they snap closed.

I use plastic boxes for my threads in my sewing room. For long arm threads they are in a drawer in a dresser.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by rbwiese View Post
    rbwiese - can you tell me if you have easy access to the back of the drawers of the Alex? I've been looking at it also and I was wondering about that. Cheryl

I have all my thread in plastic shoe boxes. I'm working on coming up with something more organized, because I hate this!

luvTooQuil, that is a great idea for the shoe bag over the door or on a wall! Everyone on this board is so clever...

Quote Originally Posted by l

uvTooQuilt;6501849
    Name:  IMG_5319.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  1.78 MB
    My large spools are housed in clear over the door shoe racks by color groups.. ..
    My piecing thread ( im a scrapper so i use any color at any given time) is kept in my sewing cabinet drawer..
    my extras for piecing and specialty threads are in sterilte drawers in the walk in closet..

Blog Entries
    I don't have a ton of thread. I bought some shallow drawers at Michaels (they are called letterpress drawers) and keep my thread in two of them. One for neutrals and one for colors. For keeping matching thread and bobbins together, I use pipe cleaners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast