Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How often do you tidy your sewing area >

How often do you tidy your sewing area

How often do you tidy your sewing area

Old 03-09-2019, 11:08 AM

I have a place for most everything, except fat quarters that are overflowing their bins. At the end of a project I put everything away. Any leftovers that are small are cut Bonnie Hunter style into squares, strips. That really saves time and helps the scrap pile.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Definitely not often enough! One issue I know I have is not putting everything in a home after a shopping trip.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Not often enough. I try to keep things somewhat picked up but I can't be neat And creative at the same time.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-15-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Not as often as I should......any offers to help.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM

Usually after every project, machines get cleaned, fabric scraps get put away all that good stuff.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 PM

I am still figuring out the best way to store my fabric. I kind of like storing it with a project. I have a Halloween quilt in the works and now that I have to go to that bin for orange.

I have been working on tidying my area a bit each time and it makes it more inviting. Right now I have a lot of fabric pulled out because I am looking for certain colors.

I am not yet committed to a method for scraps but I am working on keeping them sorted by color and if strips they go into a separate area for a scrappy stripy quilt. I do like having 2.5 inch strips but I also like applique so I don’t want to chop it all up.

I enjoy seeing what you all write. Murphy224, your story of how your spilt water created a dusting episode is the kind of thing that happens to me. I hope it made you feel happier with the result.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:45 AM

I’m only tidy when I sew. The rest of my life is messy chaos.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:00 AM

Sounds like you have a good start on tidying up! Of course one trait of sewing is ‘the mess’ it creates. It can’t be helped. But I’ve learned (as I’ve matured - yeah, I’m old) that if you put things away when you’ve completed the task at hand with them then that aids a lot in the tidying up process. Needless to say my sewing room isn’t white glove clean, but at least it’s respectable enough to go onto another project and not feel the drudgery of ‘the mess’. Good luck to you!
Old 01-02-2020, 05:04 AM

My Happy Place isnt huge, so i pretty much gotta tidy up and put away any leftovers once i have finished with a project and want to start another. I have learned to be ok with that (even though its not natural to me!).

My sewing room is a converted bedroom adjacent to our living area (open floor plan) and can readily be seen by any and all visitors and residents of the household. It was a big enough stretch for hubby to close his eyes while we had the room painted lilac (its actually very subtle and relaxing - in some light it looks almost a very light gray - so its not screaming purple!). I could have taken the more “remote” bedroom down the hall, but ultimately decided on the larger, more visible one because of the great light from two big windows most of the day (west & south windows). Having a smaller area forces me to be more organized so it does reinforce more positive habits on my part!

Yes, i try to stay a little tidier - but im not extreme! I dont put a project away until im done with it - otherwise why bother having a sewing room, right? Im thankful to be done with the days when i sewed at the dining room table and had to pick everything up anytime i sewed so we could eat dinner! I am very happy with my little “nest” 😊 and being more organized has its pluses in that i have a very comfortable and cozy room where two people can sew without bumping into each other and feeling cramped. I have my main sewing machine, a small work table, and my sitdown long arm set up in an “island” in the middle of the room. I also have separate ironing and cutting areas along opposite walls. I also have a treadle and a small bookcase in the room. The closet with double doors... well, not so organized but i am trying to get some fabric used up so i can get a handle on that area too!
Old 01-02-2020, 06:08 AM

Not even close to every day, sorry about that. Since my sewing studio is a WIP it gets straightened up pretty much after each project, quilt, is finished or if I am expecting company or will be doing a quilting lesson for someone.Right now I feel pretty walled in with boxes of fabric, new toys and getting ready for my annual 'stash bash' where I take all the fabrics in my stash out and air and refold all of them. There is about 3000 yards of fabric last count.