Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
How often do you tidy your sewing area >

How often do you tidy your sewing area

How often do you tidy your sewing area

Old 01-02-2020, 06:34 AM

I try to keep my sewing shelves tidy at all times so that I don't have to waste time tidying them up. The area where the actual sewing is done is our dining table, so obviously I need to take the machine and the fabric off it right after I finish sewing (like Mommy taught: put away your toys when you are finished playing). The fabric etc. goes on the shelves, and so does the machine. Sometimes it stays (covered) on the side of the table if I intend to start again soon. There is also the big fabric container with the stash - that one needs tidying every few months.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:43 AM

I tidy every day as I have customers coming in often. The rulers I am using stay on the cutting table until I finish the project and since I have a large cutting table it will also hold my cut pieces until I sew them together. I do keep a project cube that holds the extra fabric and pattern until I finish to a flimsy stage. I also vacuum every day as I certainly do not want stray threads to get picked up into a customer's quilt.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 PM

I'm another one that only cleans after a project is completed except for a quick vacuum now and then during the project. I never realized how much fuzz is produced once the batting is sandwiched in until I got rid of the carpet in the sewing room and replaced it with LVP flooring. Now it really shows the little fuzz balls everywhere.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Mine can look like a cyclone went through while I am working on a project, I tidy up, put everything away when I finish a top, before starting the next ( cyclone) project
Old 01-20-2020, 03:17 PM

I move from one project to another before finishing. So when the floor is visible, I'll vacumn. When the cutting table is empty, wash it down, It never gets the total treatment, unless I want to take photos.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:19 PM

I am trying to do a better job of organizing and tidying up. I’ve found that I’m much more likely to get started again and not waste time when I do. I feel that I accomplish more and am less stressed. 5 minutes a day really helps.
I have some major projects along this line I’d really like to work on, a bookshelf and my sewing cabinet drawers. The clutter just seems to sneak up on me.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:40 AM

I once visited someone's house that was spotless. I asked what her philosophy was on cleaning. A place for everything and everything in it's place.
So if you don't have a designated place for an item, it needs to find the Goodwill bag.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I once visited someone's house that was spotless. I asked what her philosophy was on cleaning. A place for everything and everything in it's place.
So if you don't have a designated place for an item, it needs to find the Goodwill bag.
While I wouldn’t say my house is spotless, I do subscribe to the “there is a place for everything and everything has its place”. I clean up my sewing room at the end of each session, I make my bed every day and I wash dishes after my meal, and cleaning comes before sewing on any given day. I will clean a bathroom before starting to sew, or run the sweeper, put in a load of laundry etc. I find that doing at least one small task every day helps with keeping things tidy, and avoids those all day cleaning sessions. I do however do a major deep clean 3-4 times a year, and I always keep a laundry basket or box to put unwanted items in, once it’s full, it goes out the door and a new box is in it’s place. I like a clean home that is warm and inviting, but I would pass on a sterile cold home.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:25 PM

I feel I am more creative in an area when everything is in its place. I will pick up and put stuff away each day when I'm done sewing. My sewing area is by far spotless and I can say the same about my house, although I like and keep a "clean" house. DH and I heat with wood, which translates to lots of dust. Weekly I light dust, do the floors (in the quilt studio too), and bathrooms. I do dishes daily after supper, make my bed daily, and laundry when needed. I do a really deep "spring cleaning" through the entire house once the woodstove is out for the spring/summer. Then I do another very thorough cleaning in the fall, just not as deep as the spring cleaning, for example: I don't wash all the walls or curtains, or windows again, those only get done in the spring. My home and studio are warm, inviting, and comfortable, for the most part clean, and a place I enjoy coming to after a long day at work.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:42 AM

Well, I'm a retired elementary teacher, which is the definition of a multi-tasker! And my mantra is, "I'm not very domestic." . I have a space set up for sewing that I designed into our new home. I have more ideas than time. I leave current project as is so that I can sew when I have opportunity. I use these large lap trays from Wal-Mart for each project materials etc. They stack well.
I put clutter in closet, which needs a major overhaul "when I get caught up"!