Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I may be revamping pattern storage? Your opinions appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I don’t have a huge library of patterns so the binder method (plastic sleeves) for patterns works fine for me. Like most, I also have some stored on my computer that I’ve downloaded from free websites but I’m not sure they are stored neatly there.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Luvrazz, I think when you scan it, you have the option to save as a PDF or an image like a jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by cindynvb View Post
    What do you use to scan them? I find scanning is a very slow process. Any hints on making it faster?
    I have a Canon TS5020 that is a printer, scanner, copier all in one. I can scan a 7 page pattern in just a couple of minutes and it is saved as a PDF on my computer. I can choose the name and the location before scanning. The newer printer/scanners scan much faster than the older models. One of the first scanners I had took almost 5 minutes to scan one page.....so frustrating.
    I have both paper and digital copies of most of my patterns. I also scan all new patterns I purchase so I can print it or part of it, mark as I make the pattern as a check off and still keep my original pattern like new. I am aware of copyright laws and as long as the copy is for my own personal use, I am ok legally and morally. I make bags and totes as well as quilts and it is really handy to be able to check off each step or make a note on the pattern without messing up the original.

My husband and I each have a a Fujitsu ScanSnap portable scanner and we love them. They have a small footprint, scan very fast, and come with software that makes it easy to organize (and find) your scanned documents.
    Sheryl

Quote Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
    I'm a very tactile person. I like to hold the pattern. flip through magazines and read a book made from paper. I find that anything that I store digitally is out of sight, out of mind.
    I'm with you...all the patterns I downloaded have never been pulled up again. I like to go thru paper and see what's next.

I have my patterns in a hanging file drawer. They are organized according to type of pattern( landscape, applique, lap quilt, wall art, paper pieced, etc.) This system works well for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
    I've been quilting for about 24 years and over the course of time I have accumulated many, many patterns. About 17 years ago, I went to the binder method for storing my patterns. Putting the pattern in the sheet protector and then putting the sheet protector in the appropriate binder. I probably have about 20+ binders.

About every 2 years or so, I would go through each binder and purge any patterns that no longer appealed to me.

Last night I was thinking about the storage method that I currently use and if there was a way to improve upon it. Something I am considering is scanning in each of the patterns that I want to keep and storing them digitally. I would then give away or recycle the hard copies.

I could then just bring up the pattern digitally and work off the electronic device, or if I really felt I needed a hard copy I could print it out. Yes, I would have a back-up in case my device crashes.

Has anyone done this? How did it work for you? Are you regretting your decision?

TIA for your reply.
    Great Idea. I might recommend a separate External HD to store just your quilting stuff. I have a couple of External HD that help me organize stuff. Get a big one too, as you can always use the space.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2