Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film? >

Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film?

Ideas for covering a tabletop with some sort of film?

Old 08-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

First of all ... should you be reporting this back to the dealer?
Did you see the table set up before you bought?
Was that table acceptable?
It's a pricey machine, to have a table that is going to cause problems for you.

Because of the size of the extended table, I am guessing that you bought the Bernina sit-down.

There are different tables available for it ... but your dealer may not be selling them.
The dealership near me has a beautiful table ... solid and very much like a dining room table!
Everything is very straight and smooth, that I would not foresee the problems that you have noted.

I would be very hesitant with any sort of a plastic film/sheeting.
It would be too easy for it to come free as you are FMQing and then you would have a mess!
Agree too, that contact plastic is probably not a good solution.
Within time it does wear out, and over those humps and hollows,
the plastic would crack/break and create roughness.

S16 sells a thin sheet (plastic? silicone?, at first glance like arborite, but not).
It fits over the top of your table to allow your quilt to slide, while filling in the gap where the machine is inserted in the table, with an opening at the needle area.
You might want to inquire what it is and perhaps you could buy the same at a home-supply store.

However, I still think you should be going back to your dealer and get them to solve the problem.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 PM

I too have a sit-down machine. To make the table top more slippery I purchased a large silicone pad that is used for baking and used cream made for the clear machine extensions to increase the slippery factor. I would suggest that you look for silicone material that comes on a roll, in order to achieve the effect you are looking for.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:13 AM

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look at their plexiglass (MS). It comes in all thickness and they can cut it to any size and design you would like.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:05 AM

Why not cover it with a thin sheet of Masonite, counter-sink the screws. That would give you a smooth surface.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 AM

If all else fails,use Gorilla tape to cover the gaps. I have just covered the small space between the stove and cabinet lip with Gorilla tape. I know that it will stay put and keep crumbs out of the space.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
First of all ... should you be reporting this back to the dealer?
Did you see the table set up before you bought?
Was that table acceptable?
I did see this same table set up at the dealership, and it seemed fine playing with it there. I noticed the gaps but didn't think anything of it. I think it's one of those things were I just wasn't focusing on it very clearly; 90% of my attention was on the machine itself. But now that I'm living with it, I'm noticing things I didn't notice any of the times I played with it.

Because of the size of the extended table, I am guessing that you bought the Bernina sit-down.

There are different tables available for it ... but your dealer may not be selling them.
The dealership near me has a beautiful table ... solid and very much like a dining room table!
Everything is very straight and smooth, that I would not foresee the problems that you have noted.
I did get the Bernina Q20 - and I have been under the impression that this is the ONLY style of table available! I know it comes in different colors/finishes, but not a single dealer I've talked to about this machine has ever indicated there were options in table style as well, and I "shopped" this machine at expos for 2 years and have probably talked to at least 5 different dealers!! But I never specifically asked, either.

I don't suppose you know the name of the "other" table, or the model number or anything like that? Are you sure it's not the same table but without the leaves? Without the leaves there's just one seam down the middle and it's not nearly as gappy as when the leaves get added. I also can't find any reference to another type of table on any of the Bernina sites...could it be a custom build of some kind??

A different (better) table would be the ideal solution. I like the large size of this one, but those gaps drive me a bit bonkers.

I shopped around online all weekend and did find some "instant granite" self-adhesive "countertop" that sounds a lot like super thick contact paper, designed for budget kitchen makeovers. The reviews make it sound like it's pretty durable stuff and it's supposed to come off cleanly. And it's much wider so I could cover the entire top with just one strip. But I'm still holding out for a better solution, if I can find one.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Sewnoma ... Today, I had to go to my Bernina dealer and they had the Q20 set up in a white table. All seemed to be pretty smooth where the leaves joined. Yes, there was somewhat of a gap, but no worse than I see with my dining room table. Definitely there was not a change of levels between the seams that would cause any issues with rulers being moved around. The table I referenced earlier was at a different B dealership, and in looking at the one today, I would say they were the same, just different finishes, as you suggested.

I took a look around to see if the tables are the same as what I have seen. From the not-so-great quality pictures, I would say they are, but with some uncertainty. (Note: I am in Canada, and sometimes we get different spins on the same products)

Here's someone who bought the Q20 back in 2015
http://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.ca/2015...-quilting.html
It might be worth your time to email her to see if her table has the same issues as yours.
If so, she might have some solutions .... or if hers is smooth, then, you have something for comparison before discussing further with your dealer.

I would be sure to exhaust all possibilities with Bernina before looking for alternatives.
Generally, they are good with their customer service, as they know how bad news spreads.
If you are not getting satisfaction/cooperation from your local dealer, move on up the ladder!

Good Luck! ...
Old 08-28-2017, 06:00 PM

My sheet of heavy vinyl sold by the yard at JoAnn's is very smooth and 'slippy.' I just use painter's tape to keep it in place. Not a very high tech solution, but it works.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:21 AM

Definitely there was not a change of levels between the seams that would cause any issues with rulers being moved around.
Sorry, I either misspoke or wasn't clear - what catches the ruler is the slight difference in height between the stitch plate and the table, not where the seams between leaves are. The stitch plate is recessed slightly, about 1/8" or so. That I HAVE checked and the other table at the dealer has the same build - just something I never noticed until I got mine home and tried using smaller rulers with it. Looking at the machine and the table, I don't think there's really a good way around it without changing out the top entirely. The leaves are flush, just gappy in a way that bothers me...I guess just aesthetically. I keep pulling on the leaves because they LOOK like they're not shut all the way, but they are. (I might just be a little twitchy/OCD-ish about it!) The dealer's table has gaps too, I feel like mine are gappier but could be coloring and pattern fooling my eyes. (My table is fake wood, the one at the shop is white.)

I'm thinking maybe a contact-paper-ish covering would help make little "ramps" to help make up for that little height difference around the plate. There's enough space that I think I can stick the paper down to the machine itself around the stitch plate and still be able to remove the plate easily.

I think I've talked myself into trying that extra-wide countertop covering stuff. It's relatively inexpensive and should come off cleanly if it doesn't work out. It's exactly as wide (deep-wise) as the table, but almost long enough to cover it twice so I can wrap the edges on two sides to secure it pretty well. (The roll is 36x144; the table is 36x77)

Someone else suggested oilcloth too (the laminated cotton) - I think that could work too, but would be more difficult to attach since it's not self-adhesive. That might be option #2 though, if the contact paper stuff isn't tough enough to stand up to the wear & tear. I imagine the fabric backing would help make it durable.

The clear vinyl, I think will not work. I played with some last night and it seems slippy until pressure is applied, then it gets pretty grippy, which is what I was afraid of. At least that's how the clear vinyl I have on hand behaves.

I also found rolls of teflon on Amazon that could be another option - definitely slippery and durable! But none I found were wide enough to cover the table in one piece and it's not self-adhesive either, so I worry about sticky gaps. Maybe that's option #3 even though it's probably the best surface as far as "slip" goes.

I feel like some day I might just have a custom top built for this table. The base is VERY sturdy (I think an elephant could dance on it) but the top just makes me twitchy. It's probably (almost certainly) just me being fussy....

And still no buyer's remorse, by the way. It's not perfect but it's very good and the machine itself is wonderful. I'm just picky and weird about gaps.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
....The stitch plate is recessed slightly, about 1/8" or so. That I HAVE checked and the other table at the dealer has the same build - just something I never noticed until I got mine home and tried using smaller rulers with it. Looking at the machine and the table, I don't think there's really a good way around it without changing out the top entirely. ..................
An additional thought ..... I am wondering, could you put something under the machine to raise it that slight wee bit, to level the stitch plate to the table?

That could be done for my S16, but I am not sure if it is do-able for your Q20, as I haven't really paid attention as to how the Q20 sits into the table.

Don't beat yourself up over being fussy or OCD'ish, as you suggested ..... we pay a lot for these set-ups and want them to be perfect! Just like when we bought our first new cars ...........

The important part is to get using the machine and discovering how wonderful it is.
Perhaps bargains with yourself that you will not do any adjustments until
you have given it all a fair chance. It could be that what you are perceiving
as causing problems, may not be an issue, once you are more familiar with operating the machine.

Good Luck!